IGNORED

Anyone Thinking 16"

bongobobny

So what is your thinking on going to a 16" wheel?
more positive ride, the same reason you put larger rims on a car. Decreased sidewall height leads to less flex. Crisper handling but at the cost of the "mushy" feel. Also, I'm going to 1" larger diameter to increase gas mileage, but at the cost of off the line torque. Poor man's rear differential gear ratio swap...

Well Jay, maybe you can find someone else in our ever growing group to partner up with! I'm looking on ebay for wheels and found that some dealers offer packages of 4 that ends up a lot cheaper per wheel than for the individual price!!

I would buy a complete package from Tire Rack but their website does not allow for search by rim parameters, only by vehicle type, and I've found that a whole bunch of vehicles use 4 x 100 mm bolt pattern with 35 - 40 mm offset...

Jim says 1mm either way is no problem but be careful when increasing overall diameter! if that tire contacts the body :yikes: :doh:

you may need an offset that tucks the wheel in more and that can present problems with hitting brake or suspension components. CHOOSE WISELY GRASSHOPPER :backinmyday:

OK specifically these were the rims I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-inch-chrome-Raceline-wheels-Acura-Integra-Honda-Civic-Si-Insight-Fit-4x100-/281221261663?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item417a17e95f&vxp=mtr

All the other packages for 4 there is no price difference per rim. So now I'm considering 17" with 40 series tires...

Jay thanks for your consideration about suspension travel, the only area of concern is the top and there is a ton of room there! I think Hannigan's concern is the speedometer error issue to which they went to great lengths to gear the rear ends initially to match the speedometer resulting in higher RPM's for the same speed as stock. The rationale there was probably from a legal standpoint so they wouldn't be considered liable for speeding offenses due to speedometer error. This is the main reason why I want to go to about 1" larger in diameter. That means 1/2 inch more from center at any point on the tire. One would hope that Hannigan did not design the trike with that close of a tolerance! Besides, I can always give the trike a California rake anyway as the trailer hitch is too low where it is!!!

would these work if I want to keep my almost brand new tires I have now

for my 15's ?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Verde-Custom-Wheels-Protocol-Chrome/dp/B007RM4D52/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395510721&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=15x7+Chrome+Verde+Protocol+Rim+4x100+%26+4x114.3+%2B40+Offset+V36-570340C]Amazon.com: Verde Custom Wheels Protocol Chrome Wheel (15x7"/4x100 mm): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OytfIyK9L.@@AMEPARAM@@51OytfIyK9L[/ame]

Jay so I figure a 195/55 R16 Tire size

was looking at these (Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 Radial Tire) $108

And with the rims I come up with $506.24 rims and tires. (with free 2 day shipping)

not to bad, then I have the 15's for back up I guess.

Looking like that is the tire size Hannigan is showing they install from my searching.

thanks for finding those rims :D.

would these work if I want to keep my almost brand new tires I have now

for my 15's ?

Amazon.com: Verde Custom Wheels Protocol Chrome Wheel (15x7"/4x100 mm): Automotive

In a word, YUP!

If you go 16" then yes, 195 55 16 should be the 23" diameter that matches what stock was. If I go 16" I'm going 215 50 16 but if I go 17" it will be a 40 or 45 series...

I'm looking to come as close to 24" as I can without going under. I may go even larger diameter but then I would have to consider putting some spacers on the shocks to raise the body slightly...

In a word, YUP!

If you go 16" then yes, 195 55 16 should be the 23" diameter that matches what stock was. If I go 16" I'm going 215 50 16 but if I go 17" it will be a 40 or 45 series...

I'm looking to come as close to 24" as I can without going under. I may go even larger diameter but then I would have to consider putting some spacers on the shocks to raise the body slightly...

You can't just put spacers on the shocks to raise the body, you'd also need longer sway bar links, aux tank fill hose. Also you would need to fab brackets to lower the rear differential to keep the CV angles correct. TOO MUCH WORK !!! Yoo'd be better off just changing gear sets and staying with stock tire sizes.

You could make spacers that would only lift the fiberglass body, doing it this way does not change the suspension angles.

Jeannie likes the wheels I linked to, not your selection :doh:

Edited by ragtop69gs