IGNORED

Car Tire ??

Guest oldman

If a darksider finds a tire that fits please post sizes so those of us who are interested can try it out too.

To the nay-sayers, go out in your drive, turn the wheels of your GMC or Chevy all the way to lock and go check how much lean your tires are already dealing with.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a bad dubbing of the video. For some reason, youtube really distorts some videos.

Here's a video of a car tire on the back of a supercharged Rocket 3.

Sorry Forrest, I didn't see a car tire on that Triumph. Maybe had one maybe not.

I won't say any more...I probably shouldn't even post tonight...I'm not in a real good mood!

If a darksider finds a tire that fits please post sizes so those of us who are interested can try it out too.

To the nay-sayers, go out in your drive, turn the wheels of your GMC or Chevy all the way to lock and go check how much lean your tires are already dealing with.

This professional Naysayer has a question. Are you turning your car Lock to Lock at 30mph? Not a very good example. That would put that truck on its roof.

I won't say any more...I probably shouldn't even post tonight...I'm not in a real good mood!

So it would not be nice to kick you while your down :rotf:

Hope all is well, and tomorrow is another day.

Brad

PS I highly doubt I would try it, but I read the article with the guy who had over 100 thousand miles, on car tires. I doubt he is just lucky.

Aah, come on Squeeze, try it, you'll like it!!! icon10.gif Oldman

Definitaly NOT!!

NO try, NO like it.

My riding Style is more on the Pegscraper Side. On my Max i have radial 17" Rims with a 180/55R17 on the rear. Do you know the Term "to drive the Elephant over the Feet" ?

In my Case, there is no Elephant left ... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Well this doesn't apply to my Venture Rides, just because i'm tired of Bruises on my back ...

Funny how one guy asking a simple questions caused so many others with no vested interest to happily flame the conversation. Well congratulations to everyone who has no experience using a car tire but thinks they are some kind of expert, you have succesfully driven this conversation underground into e-mails. Guess you'll all be riding Harley's soon since that is what everyone else is doing, don't dare to open your mind. Just like every other forum, a few trying to inflict thier opinions on everyone else. It's very disappointing.

Guest pavehawkfe

Doesn't look like the car tire did so well in this video.

Gene

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=VA7xrZkmKoU]YouTube - Lost It on a Triumph Rocket III[/ame]

Guest oldman

Well guys I have been thinking about how closed minded you are but I guess I am just as bad wanting to do it my way no matter what anybody else says. The only difference is I have tried it and it worked VERY well for me! You are welcome to your opinion and I will have to just disagree. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one! oldman icon9.gif

Heck, when I posted that I liked the Metzler tire better than a Avon tire...whew! When I mentioned that I had a car tire on my Harley, oh my gawd! If anybody does get a car tire that will fit on my Venture, I'm mounting it! I never had a problem with the one I had before, and I rode the heck out of it! Hang in there, buddy! Opps, did I mention I hate being forced to wear a helmit?

Well guys I have been thinking about how closed minded you are but I guess I am just as bad wanting to do it my way no matter what anybody else says. The only difference is I have tried it and it worked VERY well for me! You are welcome to your opinion and I will have to just disagree. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one! oldman icon9.gif

I'm all for it. Im just too financially strapped to spend 75 bux on a tire that might not work and if it doesn't I can't get my money back on it.

I could not find the correct size for my Venture but I do run a CT on my VTX. Cost was $45 vers the $175 for the motorcycle tire and tread life is also doubled. The tire rides fine and will corner over until the floorboards scrape so guess that is good enough. Straight line traction is vastly improved and I like the looks. More than just a few are doing it espc Valkerys and VTXs and I have heard of none having problems yet with hundreds of thousands of miles logged.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/2508tire_and_tag_4_.JPG

Guest KitCarson

Well you can call me a stick in the mud......a flamer........or just an ordinary A$$ . I love an good discussion......and no I will not take offense at strong feelings.....I actually kinda like those who will stand and go toe to toe and not run off.

I am a common sense person......so if I pull up to a frozen lake to go fishing and a sign says .....caution thin ice.....I will go put my fishing rod back in the attic........

So for a few hours last night......I actually concentrated on could just maybe some of us be wrong about car tires on a bike.......and came up with a few ways they could be used....On a trike......on one with a side car.....and on some of the custom designs on the art inspired choppers we see at shows.

These applications are a minority....and not the norm....and yes there will always be someone somewhere who will try most anything.....rumors seem to somehow with time become fact......so those who do put car tires on bikes tend to not have problems as they do not appear to ride much or ride hard, go in a straight line all the time.....

I will again say I am no expert on anything.......just one who learns from life and has a lot of common sense......so if I have learned from life that it is not most of the time the biggest guy in the bar that is the meanest....I will still stick to my motorcycle designed and engineered tires.

I did do a little research and those who have used car tires are not all exactly all that impressed with it either......most of the complaints are in cornering.....see I am an ex-racer.......did you now that in a hard corner when you lay that bike over...you are actually steering with the rear tire? If you use the front at all.....it is to counter steer in a power slide.......so laying a car tire over on its side....with its footprint on the sidewall...makes for I would think a very squirrely situatation.....no I have never used a car tire...but some do state you have to fight the bike around the corner..some have welded special rings to the rims to insure the tire will not blow off the rim bead.......I would also tend to think it would be a handling issue.....and to do this on the street.....on wet roads.......that would not be good.

I also looked and looked for anything insurance related to using car tires on a bike. I did not find much......but what I did find out is all insurance companies have on retainer these investigation experts....they take photos of accidents......and review even photos taken by the field adjusters.....these guys are sharp......well educated.......some with degrees in physics.....yes they will spot something like this and you will be out of luck.

Again we as people who love to ride.......look forward to getting on these machines and going to see friends.....gives us a goal or a place to go.....we use these machines.....they do not sit for long.......and as we gain experience and as life teaches us things......most of us do become aware of safety......how to ride....do like to be safe......we are concerned about our friends......do not want anyone to get hurt......it is really when you get down to it....not about the bikes....it is the lifestyle.....and the friendships and love of riding that makes us what we are.

Bottom line is car tires are not designed to be used on motorcycles for a lot of reasons......yes some will try......some will for a time get away with it........but I for one without stating all the design reasons over again......will not use a car tire.......if any of my friends even hint at it .....I will hit them with a stick.........I kinda like my friends......do not want to lose any of them on these machines we all enjoy so much......it is just common sense.

Okay I will shut up now........not going to say another word on this subject........I am just one with a whole lot of common sense and love these machines.....and also over the years have became very, very safety aware..........so it is bike tires for me.......I really do not care if they wear out one a month.......if it sticks to the road.......makes me happy. And any experienced rider who reads this....knows exactly what I am saying.

Do i have to feel guilty now ?? I was talking about the technical Side of this Issue and i was saying was i think in my Disclaimer.

I agree 100 Percent with Kit on this Issue and his Posting above.

Only Thing he's a bit wrong is his Description of what happens when your cornering the Bike. the Sidewall is never in Contact with the Road.

The Tire is forced by two different Movements. The Rim is moving the Sidewall of the Tire to the inside first and the Tread stays in flat Position with his full Contact patch on the Street. If the Travel of the Sidewall is not enough to reach the Lean Angle needed for the given by Speed, the outside of the Tread is pulled by lean Forces off the Road. This is where is begins to get dangerous. The remaining Patch which is now in Contact with the Road is smaller than the Patch in similar Situation on a M/C Tire. The more lean Angle you produce, the smaller the Contact Patch gets. Wrong Function and it won't work for me.

You can see this in the Video Floyd provided. Just look out for the Moment when cornering begins. I also share any legal Concerns which have been mentioned.

The world is flat and if you sail too far out to sea you will fall off the edge. Glad everyone did not believe that! LOL Reviewing the use of CTs on motorcycles should be left to those who have tried it. And stateing that someone who uses one does not ride far or hard is speaking without knowlage. Funny how riders of fat slow touring bikes like to think they are performance riders. My two cruisers do not need the high performance tires that many other type bikes require. You know, bikes that will lean over without scraping a floorboard. Hell even I am a fat, slow, low performance person. :cool10:

Or maybe they insist that much because they do not want to have somebody killed by a wrong Idea.

btw

did you hear about that Captain in 1514 that drove his Ship right over the Edge ??

No ?

Neither do i, possibly he just didn't made back ... :)

my take on car tires ,dumb! followed this discussion on another forum. pro's ,they last alot longer. cons, tubless bike rims are a different shape then car rims. some guys said it took close to 100psi to seat the tire then when it pops out on the rim some exploded if they did'nt explode it probably weakened the casting. or over stressed the tire. bad handling, any one who says they handle as good as a bike tire does'nt know much about handling. harder rubber compound ,not as good of traction on wet pavement and not as big a tire patch on the road ,in the curves. there are people who jury rig all kinds of things and get away with it, but that don't mean it's safe or a smart move. i have never had a car tire on a bike and never will. i have better sense than that. it is a chance that people take with no research to back it up. your life is worth alot more than a few hundred dollars saved. just my 2 cents. don't take my word for it talk to a tire design engineer and get an honest opinion. i could almost garrantee what they would say. bill :no-no-no::stirthepot: :)

Well you can call me a stick in the mud......a flamer........or just an ordinary A$$ . I love an good discussion......and no I will not take offense at strong feelings.....I actually kinda like those who will stand and go toe to toe and not run off.

I am a common sense person......so if I pull up to a frozen lake to go fishing and a sign says .....caution thin ice.....I will go put my fishing rod back in the attic........

So for a few hours last night......I actually concentrated on could just maybe some of us be wrong about car tires on a bike.......and came up with a few ways they could be used....On a trike......on one with a side car.....and on some of the custom designs on the art inspired choppers we see at shows.

These applications are a minority....and not the norm....and yes there will always be someone somewhere who will try most anything.....rumors seem to somehow with time become fact......so those who do put car tires on bikes tend to not have problems as they do not appear to ride much or ride hard, go in a straight line all the time.....

I will again say I am no expert on anything.......just one who learns from life and has a lot of common sense......so if I have learned from life that it is not most of the time the biggest guy in the bar that is the meanest....I will still stick to my motorcycle designed and engineered tires.

I did do a little research and those who have used car tires are not all exactly all that impressed with it either......most of the complaints are in cornering.....see I am an ex-racer.......did you now that in a hard corner when you lay that bike over...you are actually steering with the rear tire? If you use the front at all.....it is to counter steer in a power slide.......so laying a car tire over on its side....with its footprint on the sidewall...makes for I would think a very squirrely situatation.....no I have never used a car tire...but some do state you have to fight the bike around the corner..some have welded special rings to the rims to insure the tire will not blow off the rim bead.......I would also tend to think it would be a handling issue.....and to do this on the street.....on wet roads.......that would not be good.

I also looked and looked for anything insurance related to using car tires on a bike. I did not find much......but what I did find out is all insurance companies have on retainer these investigation experts....they take photos of accidents......and review even photos taken by the field adjusters.....these guys are sharp......well educated.......some with degrees in physics.....yes they will spot something like this and you will be out of luck.

Again we as people who love to ride.......look forward to getting on these machines and going to see friends.....gives us a goal or a place to go.....we use these machines.....they do not sit for long.......and as we gain experience and as life teaches us things......most of us do become aware of safety......how to ride....do like to be safe......we are concerned about our friends......do not want anyone to get hurt......it is really when you get down to it....not about the bikes....it is the lifestyle.....and the friendships and love of riding that makes us what we are.

Bottom line is car tires are not designed to be used on motorcycles for a lot of reasons......yes some will try......some will for a time get away with it........but I for one without stating all the design reasons over again......will not use a car tire.......if any of my friends even hint at it .....I will hit them with a stick.........I kinda like my friends......do not want to lose any of them on these machines we all enjoy so much......it is just common sense.

Okay I will shut up now........not going to say another word on this subject........I am just one with a whole lot of common sense and love these machines.....and also over the years have became very, very safety aware..........so it is bike tires for me.......I really do not care if they wear out one a month.......if it sticks to the road.......makes me happy. And any experienced rider who reads this....knows exactly what I am saying.

Kit its nice to see somone else who knows the reality of these things. yeah is may work but is you life worth it? I dont think they will understand until it all goes wrong for them.

As for all the "computer professionals" out there. Im talking about the keyboard jockeys that see it on the web and all of a sudden decide that is cool. You dont see the whole picture. I do this work everyday and see so if you think you are more of a "professional" based on that than the real professionals I only wish you luck. Remind me to tell you the story of the guy around here who lost a million dollar lawsuit based on the fact that he had a car tire on his landscape trailer based on the fact that he put a car tire on a trailer to save about 10 bucks. (I did not install those tires here). Just think about it.

Im finished in this thread. And do what you want but I only share all this because if I can help any of you not get hurt it is worth it to me.

BTW someone mentioned using a Goodyear Tripletred on a bike. Ill give you the number to their engineering dept and ask them their recommendation.

Kit its nice to see somone else who knows the reality of these things. yeah is may work but is you life worth it? I dont think they will understand until it all goes wrong for them.

As for all the "computer professionals" out there. Im talking about the keyboard jockeys that see it on the web and all of a sudden decide that is cool. You dont see the whole picture. I do this work everyday and see so if you think you are more of a "professional" based on that than the real professionals I only wish you luck. Remind me to tell you the story of the guy around here who lost a million dollar lawsuit based on the fact that he had a car tire on his landscape trailer based on the fact that he put a car tire on a trailer to save about 10 bucks. (I did not install those tires here). Just think about it.

Im finished in this thread. And do what you want but I only share all this because if I can help any of you not get hurt it is worth it to me.

BTW someone mentioned using a Goodyear Tripletred on a bike. Ill give you the number to their engineering dept and ask them their recommendation.

hey scott, just curious . why can't you use good car tires on a trailer? i always thought most light trailer tires were just cheap low mileage tires. whats the difference. bill :2133:

hey scott, just curious . why can't you use good car tires on a trailer? i always thought most light trailer tires were just cheap low mileage tires. whats the difference. bill :2133:

Trailer tire construction is different such as plys. usuallly significantly higher. I know at least here in NY there are DOT laws against use of P-metric or Passenger tires and require ST rated which means Special Trailer. You can use Bias or Radial trailer tires but they must be trailer rated. Only exception to the Rule is if you have a trailer using LT or light truck tires usually 10pl which are approved because they are approved for the weight ratings.

I know this discussion doesn't include us 1st Geners but I have always had a belief that if there's anywhere you DON'T cut corners it's on your tires. I ride hard and at pretty high speed most of the time and I know that there are two patches of rubber the size of my fist between me and a very bad day. In a hard lean at 80mph those two patches are the most important part of my bike. I'll cut corners on accessories, try and do all the work I can to save money and even shop for the cheapest way to clean but I never want to wonder what's between me and that street screaming by my knee. Maybe I would have a different perspective if I rode slower on mostly straight roads but where I ride (North GA and NC) there's not much straight around.