IGNORED

Soda Blasting

AKRefugee

I have never even thought of trying soda blasting for paint removal on plastic. It sounds like an interesting concept.

Along the same lines I wonder if something much less abrasive than sand, like maybe ground corn cob would go thru my sand blaster and not remove to much plastic ........ Hmmmmmm.......:think:

I did some soda blasting last winter and it works great for removing paint and doesnt heat up what you are blasting and doesnt pit plastic either, They make diffrent types soda to use they do have some with a sharper grit but even that seemed to work fine also and it works great for romoving grease and oil. You do have to wash and clean your parts after because it leaves a bit of a film and the clean up is easy.

There are some good videos on utube to check out for soda blasting.

Orlin

One of the reasons that I use soda as a blast media is that it is 100% soluble in water. There is virtually no impingement into the base material and a thorough washing in warm water with soap seems to be adequate in removing any residue.

The soda leaves a film that has a positive PH that will neutralize paint that uses an acid etching process for adhesion. A thorough washing with soap and water will remove the film. For added insurance vinegar, or a commercially available product, can be added to the wash solution to neutralize the soda.

I have soda blasted many of the formerly polished aluminum parts of my 86 Venture and then covered them with clear coat for aluminum wheels. There have been no issue develop with the paint adhering to the aluminum. Soda blasting is like most every other process, there are proper methods, to be followed, for a successful outcome.

Ii have a water blaster. It's a unit that you stick on the end of your pressure washer that has a suction tube on it that sucks up the medium and then blasts the object with water and whatever you use for a medium. Haven't used it on plastic yet, but it's an idea. Worked awesome on steel though.