I think I have the issue that so many have had with the baffles in the collector. When I start it there's a rattle. It's there when I rev and when I down shift but not on a steady throttle. If it's the baffles, can that cause anything other than irritation? If I remove the baffles and put the collector back together will that cause any problems? I would rather not spend the money on anything new if I can avoid it.

I think I have the issue that so many have had with the baffles in the collector. When I start it there's a rattle. It's there when I rev and when I down shift but not on a steady throttle. If it's the baffles, can that cause anything other than irritation? If I remove the baffles and put the collector back together will that cause any problems? I would rather not spend the money on anything new if I can avoid it.

Yeah, it's irritating, ain't it?. You can live with it, or pull the baffles out by cutting a flap in the top and getting in there with a needlenose. Then weld the collector back up and you're good to go. Doesn't hurt a thing.....

I gutted my collector by lifting the bike with an atv/bike jack as high as it would go and then setting the bike on jack stands front and back. Then I cut a large square out of the bottom of the collector with a die grinder, pulled all the loose baffle screen out with pliers (some pieces were stubborn) then welded the cutout piece back on, never having to remove the whole thing. It gave my bike kind of a turbo muffler sound but I have the MAC slip on condor got for us. I haven't noticed any negative results in the way bike runs or spark plug fouling after 3000 miles. Hope this helps...

Loehring, A broken or displaced baffle in your collector will progress from just ian irratation to an embarassment to and down right "gotta get sound suppressing helmet" or really good earplugs. At least that is what mine did. I performed the surgery as described above and was done with it. Quiet, with almost a stock sound. No after issues. It was just a lot of work but glad to quiet the dog gone thing down.

............................................. high as it would go and then setting the bike on jack stands front and back. ...........................................................................

Hey Cliff! I'd like a little more info on this technique! How did you balance the bike on the jack stands to keep it up there? :confused07:

I did the same with mine, Chip. I hadn't noticed it rattling (I keep the radio pretty loud!) but I took it off to find an oil leak and it rattled in my hands so I decided to go for it. It's stainless steal but it welds ok with regular wire.There were also some other cracks that had developed so we welded them up too.

As you can see, I took it one step further,welded a flat plate on it and painted the whole thing high temp black, (to prevent rust). I then painted the plate with high temp paint in orange. Then, using stick on letters, I painted it with high temp black. Peeling off the letters revealed what you see. If I'm leaned way over in a hard turn, that is visible! Which way I'm leaned determines what you can read! Now I just need to get back up on the Dragon and get some photos!

Thanks for the great information guys. I'm afraid my mechanical expertise ends with chewing gum and duct tape though. Todd, do you think you might be able to help me with it some time? ( I like the paint job. That's funny )

Guest Bigin

I am still shaking the pieces out of my mufflers from when I did this months ago. Every time I pull the mufflers off another piece is rattling inside. Not sure it caused a restriction but could. Something to think about.

Thanks for the great information guys. I'm afraid my mechanical expertise ends with chewing gum and duct tape though. Todd, do you think you might be able to help me with it some time? ( I like the paint job. That's funny )

Sure can, Chip!

Any chance you will make the Breakfast on Saturday? We could talk about it. A friend of mine is the welder on my stuff. He has the equipment and fixes what I screw up! :rotf:

Or you can give me a call and we can work something out. My # is in my bio.