IGNORED

Greasing rear wheel pins and splines

I can't find a recommendation in the Service Manual to lube these parts. I searched the TSBs I have for this issue and have found nothing. It may be "best shop practice" and that's fine but curiosity demands to know if Yamaha ever addressed it in writing....

Yes i lube the ones on my bikes because allthe old heads here on the forum say to, but still....Just sayin'!

TSB M83-021 and M92-006 both addressed lubing the "clutch hub" (drive pins).

M92-006 1stGen_Final.pdf

M83-021 M83-022 Rear End Clicking Noise .pdf

• 2 years later...

So here we are again.  Glad to find the thread again.  So last summer I had to replace my differential and maybe the drive side because again it looked worn.  This thread documents my previous drive side replacement in 2018.  I can say the Honda Molly paste or what ever it is technically called does not work.  Maybe the poster was correct that this product is an assembly lube and not spline grease.  It was recommended by my local shop owner whom I trust but clearly it is not cutting it (see photos).  I am going to try the Sta-Lube product this time.  It is very interesting to learn of the heat build up.  I never gave that much thought but it looks to me like this grease is getting baked.  So the conclusion is that some differentials run cooler than others and age or wear and tear might be the cause.  This make sense since this problem did not present it self when the bike was much newer.  

So maybe I should look at rebuilding one of these differentials to remedy the heat build up problem.

IMG_1226.JPEG

IMG_1227.JPEG

IMG_1225.JPEG

I picked up some Sta-Lube.  I think both products will work better than the honda molly past.  I also found out tonight that you can pry like hell for a good 15 minutes and they splines will not lift off the wheel without removing the snap ring on the top.  Lube up the pins and got the wheel ready to go back on.

10 hours ago, Geobob said:

I also found out tonight that you can pry like hell for a good 15 minutes and they splines will not lift off the wheel without removing the snap ring on the top. 

No kidding,?, You too eh? Funny how that works,,,, had me totally kerbaffled the first time.

I use volvo spline grease 1161247 also sold under part number 1161246, I believe the difference is one is a grease gun size tube and the second is just a small tube. This stuff we use on clutch and drive splines of Volvo class 8 trucks and heavy equipment. It is a heavy paste grease and  I find it works super on the our rear drive splines and drive pins. Also used by Mack trucks now that they are owned by Volvo. I also believe Volvo Penta uses it as well for marine use on the drive components.

Edited by saddlebum