IGNORED

Will Bluetooth work with the 2nd Gen CB's?

I think I know the answer to this but just in case I thought I would ask anyway. The answer is probably on the forum somewhere but I can't find it.

Here is what I want to do but I don't think it will work and I don't want to buy the Bluetooth headset unless it will work.

As you know the Bluetooth headset will work fine if you get a call on your cellphone. But can you talk on the CB? If I connect my iPhone to the Venture (2nd Gen) via the headphone jack on my phone will I be able to talk on the CB. This may be a dumb question but I am not the sharpest tack in the drawer. I do not think it will. I will probably have to buy a headset with a 5 pin connector to listen to the music on my iPhone and be able to use my CB but then I am not sure if I can answer calls. I think I should be able to but I don't know. It would be alright if I could not answer calls as I don't think it is safe to talk on the phone while riding even with a hands free device.

Has anyone tried this? Sorry if this is already posted but I could not find it. If it is posted if you could just give me the link that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry:confused24:

Thanks Rick so I guess I figured wrong. So I guess if you have a Bluetooth device attached to your helmet with the iPhone plugged into the auxiliary port you just use the push to talk button on the handlebars to talk to others on the CB. That is great now I can order a Bluetooth and get rid of those wires. Whoo Hoooo!

Thanks again Rick.:missingtooth:

I don't think that's going to work. The CB gets it's microphone signal from the intercom, not the aux in port. Otherwise when you used the CB you'd be retransmitting the radio or mp3.

There are bluetooth adapters that will let you use your bluetooth headset with the motorcycle audio system. You're going to have to lay down 4-5 Benjamins to get one though.

Yamaduck....

When you pair your headset to the iPhone thru bluetooth, you are able to answer calls and listen to music because you have two way audio between those two devces. The issue becomes how to have two way audio to the bike's audio system.

The aux jack on the cassette is an input only and not two-way audio.

On my bike, I have a Garmin Zumo 660 and use bluetooth to pair to my Blackberry. The Garmin is connected to the bike using a BuddyRich cable. The BuddyRich cable connects to the bike's audio system inside the fairing (input/output). I use a wired connection from my headset to the bike and with this set up I can listen to music from the gps/radio/cassette, talk on the phone, and use the cb.

If you could hook up a smartphone to the bike using a cable like the BuddyRich cable you'd need in/output jacks on the smartphone and an application that would pass your audio from the bluetooth headset thru the phone to the bike. Don't think this exists.

This is a complex thing, hope I can explain it correctly. I have a system working on my Goldwing, and it will also work on your Venture. But...It isn't all that cheap.

Utilizing the Sena SMH-10 headsets plus a wiring adapter harness this can be made to work. It requires that you purchase one headset for each helmet that needs to be connected into the system, plus an extra one that becomes a transmitter/receiver attached to the bike itself. A member of the gl1800riders forum has developed the harness to enable this attachment to the system. The "module" (headset) attached to the bike will then transmit all bike audio to the headset(s) used by rider/passenger, and will receive whatever goes through your headset microphone and send it through your bike's cb.

That is probably a fuzzy explanation, but it works perfectly on the Goldwing. The guy making the adapter cable can be reached at fox2kill@comcast.net. Name is Steve. Tell him Joe from the 1800 forum sent you.

He has said that he is also able to provide the harness for other makes of bikes, I would imagine that would include the RSV. His harness is inexpensive...the Sena headsets will be where you'll spend your money. But they are terrific devices! Wife and I are totally wireless and love it.

Edit: By the way, your phone will also connect to your headset. So will your Garmin GPS if you are using one and it offers Bluetooth.

Joe

Edited by FreezyRider
More info

Thanks Joe,

As I did not really want to spend that much money to basically get rid of the 5 pin connector I went to SENA's website.They have a devise called the "SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter" that if I am reading it right would take the place of your friends wiring harness and one of the bluetooth headsets. It cost about $140 but you have to purchase the 5 pin connector to fit the Yamaha at an additional charge for about $30. This cord plugs into the aux jack on the SM10 and into the 5 pin connector on the Venture. The smartphone plugs into the input slot. Now you would also need the headset like the SMH5 for about $100 or the SMH10 for about $155. So if I read all this right it would be about $270 for the low end SMH5 and about $$325 for the higher end SMH10.

Or I can get a low end J&M wired headset for about $70 or move up to the Elite Series for about $175 plus $30 for the cord.

Here is the link to the SENA adapter I was reading about. Let me know if you read it differently. http://senabluetooth.com/product/adapters/sm10/#tab-accessories

Harry

Oh, and I should add, Harry...if price is a main consideration, definitely go with wired headsets. No quality bluetooth system will come close to the economy of wired sets. For me, I just wanted to get rid of those dad-blasted irritating cords so I finally forked over the money to do it.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I think I will stay with the wired system. I usually ride alone anyway so I hardly ever use a full or modular helmet anyway and I don't need to talk to myself on the CB anyway :yikes:

I ride with groups once or twice a month and I have a hand held mike if I need to talk to them but a group of us are heading to Moonshine, Ill for the Moonshine Lunch Run in April and I was going to wear my modular helmet to keep 550 mile of wind and sun off my face the first day.

Thank for all the help guys but I will stick with the 5 pin wired system. :thumbsup2: