IGNORED

Bringing an 83 back to the street (hopefully)

Karaboo - I connected the jumper cables to the + and - cables on the bike (they are not connected to a battery in the bike)

so I disconnected the r&r. started the bike and got it to idle. check the 3 white wires and each was 10.4 or 10.5. and according to the write up I read on here it needed to be between 9 and 15 and be consistent across the 3 wires, which is what I was getting as far as consistent.

in addition to this I tested across the white wires as well at 2K rpm's. 45, 45, 48. don't know if that matters, but they are still consistent.

Edited by mcgyverit

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What 3 white wires were you checking?

If it was the 3 stator wires, you should be checking white wire to white wire with the voltmeter set to measure AC on a 200V scale. The stator should be unplugged from the RR. Depending on engine RPM the Voltage should be between 20 and 120 VAC. Each pair of white wires should be very close to the same voltage. Checking from a white to ground should be zero volts.

the r&r is removed from the bike altogether

checking the 3 white wires from the stator. checking from white to white I was getting ~45 on the 200v scale at about 2000 rpms.

checking from any white wire to ground was consistently 10.4-10.5

• 5 months later...

been a long time since I posted anything, just too many projects going on, but the other day I was walking by the bike and thinking about where I could mount the aftermarket R&R. mostly because it didn't really fit in the original location due to size of the unit and mounting holes didn't line up very well. so with the recent skills that I am gaining with racecar fab work, I sat down and started working on a bracket that I could make to get the unit out in the air better and mount more secure. after putting parts back on the bike like luggage racks, foot pedals, luggage, etc., I think I have a location that should work.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/mcgyverit/Venture/IMG_0368_zpsnw0indko.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/mcgyverit/Venture/IMG_0367_zpsz4chspl7.jpg

now to solder all the connections and seal them up.

That will certainly get it out in the air.

Brackets look real good.

Just make sure that you will not be kicking it with your foot as you take off from a stop.

I have my air horns mounted in that location on both sides. I have kicked the horn off the bike more than once.

• 5 months later...