IGNORED

Avon Tire Cracking!!

I know there are several threads about this, but I wanted to post and see if everyone thinks this is bad enough for me to try to get a replacement. I will say that I really like the Avon, but if given the choice will go back to the E3 now. My rear Avon is less than 6 months old (my time with it). I checked the date code on it when I got it and it was only about 6 months old from the factory. So at most it is roughly 1 year old since made. I have only put at most 3000 miles on it. Attached is a pic of the tread depth (lots left - If my son held the penny up against the side, it would be about to Lincoln's nose) and an example of the cracking. What you see in the pic is on both sides of the tire and all the way around on both sides. So is this bad? Makes me nervous but it might be perfectly fine. But I do commute to work every day if there is no snow or ice and I am on the highway for about 20 miles each way at 70-80 mph.

Thanks

Avon's are good,, but some do crack.

I had one front that got a bead crack (or hole), slow leak, 2lbs a day. The dealer found it and called Avon.

It was just enough tread,,, Avon replaced it free, with over 10k miles.

Yours looks like a lot of tread. Can't tell how bad the cracks are, surface or deep? Any leaking.

I had one front that got a bead crack (or hole), slow leak, 2lbs a day. The dealer found it and called Avon.

It was just enough tread,,, Avon replaced it free, with over 10k miles.

Yours looks like a lot of tread. Can't tell how bad the cracks are, surface or deep? Any leaking.

I keep it right at 50 pounds and even not being ridden but once in the last month, it still has 50 pounds in it.

Hard call. I dont think its anything to loose sleep over if you have to ride to work. BUT I would definatly go the route of notifying all concerned, Avon the delaer etc. I would definatly give it the ole try to warrenty it out. Some cracks like this are sort of a normal thing on auto tires. But on a car your not relying on the sidewall to keep you off the ground. Look closly around the bead. My thoughts are if its happening there it probably will be around the bead also.

I wouldn't want to have those type of cracks on any of my tires be it on a motorcycle or cager. Have it replaced right away, if you have not done it yet. Above all, it is a PITA to keep on removing the rear every time this happens.

Hope you get that issue straightened out.

Above all, it is a PITA to keep on removing the rear every time this happens.

Damn right it is. More annoying than anything. I have had the bike just over a year and this is already my third rear tire currently on it. I ran the E3 down. Replaced that with a Pirelli which I really liked, but it wore funny and started riding terrible. Now the Avon. And now I will have to put another one on it. I am going to email Motorcycle Superstore and Avon this morning to see what they will do.

And I pulled the receipt out last night. I bought the tire October 22nd. So it has been on the

bike for only 3 months.

I went through this on 3 sets of avons. I switched to E3's after that and hav enot looked back. From my experience those cracks only get worse the longer you wait. If you can get it warrantied, switch to E3's and save yourself the hassle of changing them again in 6 more months.

When I switched I decided to try a Michelien Commander 2. I had the E-3 but the rear got noisey as they do. I read good things by folks with heavy bikes about the Michlien wear. I have to say I have 15K on mine and they still look good. I liked the tread pattern, that the cross goves went all the way across the center section of tire to get the water out in the rain. The E-3 didnt have that.

Ahoy:

Well I am disappointed to see that Avon still has not fixed this.

Here is ONE of the times that mine decided to crack on one side.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35029

Everyone I talked to started with the same pitch of 'oh, some sidewall cracking is normal, blah blah blah' and then when they saw the pictures (or the tires in person) they went "oh. wow, that is bad". ALL of the several pair of tires I had that cracked did so much worse on one side than the other. The first time I went through all of this the rep from Avon that contacted me gave me a whole list of nonsense that could have 'caused' this tire cracking (blaming me for it).

Anyway, I hope that Avon and your retailer take good care of you. The folks I dealt with, after they saw the pictures and inspected the tires in person, did replace several sets of Avons for me. The last time I went in for a change out, the tire rep took one look at me and said something along the lines of "oh no, not again!" -- this was like 2 weeks after they had been replaced. That time he said that he would send out another set of Avons, or any other tire I wanted -- which is when I went with a set of E-3s.

:080402gudl_prv: and do NOT take no for an answer. Your pictures look like the 'good side' of one of my tires before it decided to get much worse.

I know everyone here will have an opinion about replacing or not replacing but what it comes down to is that it is YOUR hide trusting those tires.

I'm starting on doing some research on rear tire for my RSTD and Avon tires were on list but I going to scratch those out

currently the Michelin are top of my list because already had Metzeler and don't like the way they ride once they star wearing out, and if the elite3 are noisy they are out as well

so far is between the Pirellismt 66 and the Michelin commanders

I'm starting on doing some research on rear tire for my RSTD and Avon tires were on list but I going to scratch those out

currently the Michelin are top of my list because already had Metzeler and don't like the way they ride once they star wearing out, and if the elite3 are noisy they are out as well

so far is between the Pirellismt 66 and the Michelin commanders

I have a Pirelli on the front. It is wearing well and goes through all kinds of road conditions fine. The Pirelli Had on the rear sucked. Rode fine until it started wearing. It wore funny and then started feeling funny.

Guest tx2sturgis

I would ask for a credit at Motorcycle Superstore.

Apply that towards a new Dunlop E3.

I know some owners here like the Avons, but in my HD days, Avons always had the reputation for flaws. BUT.... It didnt matter cuz they LOOKED good on the bar-hoppers with lots of chrome.

E3's also look good but they handle and wear well. I dont find them noisy, I either hear clutch whine, wind noise, gear whine, or AC/DC cranked to the max! :whistling:

Ride. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Hard to enjoy a few of those if the tires are gonna keep cracking.

And BTW....50 psi seems a bit high for riding solo...try 40-44 psi on the next rear.

Guest tx2sturgis

MIke...I'm gonna pick on this statement for a minute. Dont worry, nothing personal, not picking on you. (its a common statement)

How does this make any sense? Why would riders accept this as a 'good' tire if 'some' of them crack after 3 or 4 months? Cracking tires are not like peeling paint or a radio that blows fuses. You can DIE from faulty tires!

I mean, nothing man-made is perfect, but tires are nothing to mess around with on a large, powerful, heavy bike going 80 mph for 600 miles a day in the summer heat on flat open country in the middle of Nowhere USA.

If the failure rate was 1%...ok...stuff happens. 2%...ok....bad batch maybe.

But 'some' of them sounds more like 25%...or more!

I have this same low tolerance for the HD Twin Cam engine, and Windows operating systems, aftermarket HID lighting, and my POS Kel-Tec 380 semi-auto.

If the crap doesnt do what it is SUPPOSED to do, reliably, for a long time, I wont be needing it anymore.

Just my 2 :2cents:.

Edited by tx2sturgis

MIke...I'm gonna pick on this statement for a minute. Dont worry, nothing personal.

How does this make any sense? Why would riders accept this as a 'good' tire if 'some' of them crack after 3 or 4 months? Cracking tires are not like peeling paint or a radio that blows fuses. You can DIE from faulty tires!

I mean, nothing man-made is perfect, but tires are nothing to mess around with on a large, powerful, heavy bike going 80 mph for 600 miles a day in the summer heat on flat open country in the middle of Nowhere USA.

I have this same low tolerance for the HD Twin Cam engine, and Windows operating systems, aftermarket HID lighting, and my POS Kel-Tec 380 semi-auto.

If the crap doesnt do what it is SUPPOSED to do, reliably, for a long time, I wont be needing it anymore.

Brian, no problem,

Avons ride good and they wear good. You rarely hear someone complain about their ride.

I had one go bad (pinhole) out of, probably 6 pair,, and Avon owned up quick.

I switched to E3 front and MC2 rear when MC2 came out. (I tried, & don't ride the small front anymore). Will go with MC2 front if they make stock size.

Mike G.

I would ask for a credit at Motorcycle Superstore.

Apply that towards a new Dunlop E3.

I know some owners here like the Avons, but in my HD days, Avons always had the reputation for flaws. BUT.... It didnt matter cuz they LOOKED good on the bar-hoppers with lots of chrome.

E3's also look good but they handle and wear well. I dont find them noisy, I either hear clutch whine, wind noise, gear whine, or AC/DC cranked to the max! :whistling:

Ride. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Hard to enjoy a few of those if the tires are gonna keep cracking.

And BTW....50 psi seems a bit high for riding solo...try 40-44 psi on the next rear.

I will do whatever as long as I get a new tire one way or another.

The Avon is the only tire I keep that high. It holds a higher psi and I am a rather large guy at roughly 300 to 320 so 50 psi fits me well I think.

MIke...I'm gonna pick on this statement for a minute. Dont worry, nothing personal, not picking on you. (its a common statement)

I agree for the most part. I also do know that I put nothing but Avons on my sport tourer and never had a problem. I like the E3, but the set I got on the bike probably had 1/3 tread left and the ride started feeling really crappy. So to pay that much and only get 2/3 of the life of them doesn't seem like a better solution. And going back to the Avons, they are like glue to me. They stick like their is magnets in the road and in the tires.

Guest tx2sturgis
So to pay that much and only get 2/3 of the life of them doesn't seem like a better solution. And going back to the Avons, they are like glue to me. They stick like their is magnets in the road and in the tires.

A 'better solution' for me has always been to arrive safely at home at the end of the trip. Confidence in the way the bike handles is a big part of that. But a rubber compound that is so soft and sticky or, hard and/or dried out, that its not suitable for my use, is not a good tire to depend on.

If (due to degraded handling due to wear) the tire needs to be replaced at 7,000 instead of 10,000 miles, I will do it and be GLAD to do it. I consider deteriorating handling as a warning that the bike is due a new set of shoes.

But to each his own.

For me, tire failure is NOT an option...even if it costs a bit more to be certain. Tires are a safety item, like brakes...I just dont look for the longest life or cheapest cost. I ride the best tire for normal riding and touring I can find, within reason. Of course, everyones definition of 'best' will vary.

I hope you have good luck and get lots of miles with the Avons. If I am wrong about them, then thats a GOOD thing for us, right?

:cool10:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I've been running E3's front and rear (stock sizes) since I got rid of the Bridgestones.

In September I changed front and back tires after our trip West. I got 35,000 km /21,750 miles out of the front. I was down to the wear bars and the ride was still reasonable....not like brand new, and I rode easy at the end. Because the rear was also worn down, I replaced it shortly afterwards.

I ride 37psi front, 40psi rear, and about 25psi rear shock.

I'll stick with Dunlop. Don't want to take the chance that I'd get the Avon's that crack, or the Metzlers that chunk.