IGNORED

Windows 8 on way out

jonesy

I have good luck networking the iMac, all the Linux boxes, and the Windows laptop across my wifi network...I can read files to and from anywhere....as long as all the machines are set to share. But I'm not using SAMBA...just the built-in networking manager, under the files menu on my versions of Linux.

I'm not sure what its like on a business network.....I assume its more complex and hence, troublesome. I assume printer sharing is the issue?

I remember back around 2000 (+/-) when I first started messing with Linux (Corel Linux) I found it quite easy to do this in a "home" network.

About 5 years ago I set up a Linux server here at the office using openSuSe 10.1 and had little trouble but I still had to use SAMBA. Keep in mind that we are operating within a Windows Domain, not a simple workgroup.

With current distros, this process seems to be getting more complex, especially with more secure domain controllers and Windows OSs.

What I am unable to do so far is browse the Windows network and see all the computers (in this install) yet I was able to when I installed this version of openSuSe earlier in the week (yes, I've installed this one 3 different times LOL).

What I can do; however, is connect directly to a share on a Windows machine using it's IP address\share name from Dolphin.

Edited by SilvrT

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

under the files menu on my versions of Linux.

what version(s) of linux are you using?

From my understanding, Samba is what allows a Linux machine to share files back and forth with Windows. Samba is generally included with default "Workgroup" settings when a Linux distro is installed.

Samba was what allowed me to interconnect with my Windows machines back in 2000.

From Wikipedia:

Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol, originally developed by Andrew Tridgell. As of version 3, Samba provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients and can integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or as a domain member. It can also be part of an Active Directory domain.

Samba runs on most Unix and Unix-like systems, such as Linux, Solaris, AIX and the BSD variants, including Apple's Mac OS X Server and Mac OS X client (version 10.2 and greater). Samba is standard on nearly all distributions of Linux and is commonly included as a basic system service on other Unix-based operating systems as well. Samba is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License. The name Samba comes from SMB (Server Message Block), the name of the standard protocol used by the Microsoft Windows network file system.

Edited by SilvrT

Guest tx2sturgis
what version(s) of linux are you using?

From my understanding, Samba is what allows a Linux machine to share files back and forth with Windows. Samba is generally included with default "Workgroup" settings when a Linux distro is installed.

All of the distros I have used have network sharing. Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, MATE, and KDE, Zorin, and a few others I only tested. My iMac and this Windows laptop also have it.

In the pics, you will see files that are showing up across my Mac(OSX) this IntensePC Linux box, and my Windows7 HP laptop.

I can open them and play or view them. This is not to say I know how to network an office, but this is the basic stuff all these computers can do across a single wifi network.

All of the pics except one show my Linux Mintbox, 'IntensePC' looking at files and folders on the iMac and the HP laptop.

One picture (the vertical format picture) shows the laptop screen showing the default 'sample pics' in windows 7, the same pics showing up in the Linux Mint screen. The last two pics show me accessing an mp3 song on the iMac, and playing it with the Audacious player on the linux box. This is NOT using iTunes, just a standard free player in Linux. My music collection all resides on my iMac, and its partitioned hard drive, HD600 and HD400, and I can play the music anywhere in the house.

I have not tried printer sharing but the features are there to do it. My printer is hooked up to my Mac, so that might be the next step...I might learn something too!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...I'm still messing with this Samba thing....it seems that linux is bit picky about sharing itself TO windows....reading FROM windows was the easy part that I had done.

I KNEW there had to more to this than meets the keyboard...

So far, I'm not having luck with Samba...but it seems to need some specific terminal commands that I havent found yet...

Hmmm....lets look at that Apache thing.

:whistling:

I just built the mother of all computers. Specifically for video editing. Intel i7. Over 2k just in parts. It will burn a 7.1 surround sound 3d blue ray. Whoot!

Anyways part of the reason was I could not find anything on the shelf with a blue ray burner and windows 7. By ordering all the stuff from new egg I got the windows 7 pro and absolutely no fluff software. Only everything Cyberlink makes is in it.

Now I just have to learn how to work the software. Yikes!

Windows 8 was a major mistake. Even with the fix its got bugs.

Well I joined the Linux crowd, wasn't hard just put 120 gb. harddrive in that I had laying around, took windows ones out and off to the races I was. Does work fast for sure, in my desktop that I don't use alot so it can stay there and I'll mess with it on and off. Will keep you updated on my wanderings for sure.

Edited by jonesy
spelling

Guest tx2sturgis
I just built the mother of all computers. Specifically for video editing. Intel i7. Over 2k just in parts. It will burn a 7.1 surround sound 3d blue ray. Whoot!

Meh.

You start editing 4K video and I will be impressed.

:moon:

Guest tx2sturgis
Well I joined the Linux crowd...

Which Linux distro did you settle on?

Over the last few days I have been installing and re-installing a few flavors of Linux on this new PC I bought.

I have had some issues (some of them because this pc is so new) and after several attempts, realize that the reason I settled on Ubuntu a couple of years ago is that it just WORKS.

Stable, easy to use, and long term support.

I'm loading up some software packages as we speak.

Between myself and SilvrT and anyone else in the Linux world, you can probably get any help you might need right here.

:happy34:

I went with Robolinux, doing it in a clean install worked real well. Not going to put any windows on it for now, learning my way around for now. Self taught on windows and make a little money fixing windows for people now. Linux don't seem so hard, I'll be relying on you 2 for help if needed. later

Guest tx2sturgis
I went with Robolinux, doing it in a clean install worked real well. Not going to put any windows on it for now, learning my way around for now. Self taught on windows and make a little money fixing windows for people now. Linux don't seem so hard, I'll be relying on you 2 for help if needed. later

Cool...I tried Zorin (which is similar) a couple of times and although its pretty and very windows-user friendly, I cant recommend it...I've tried it twice on two different machines and its very buggy. I hope RoboLinux stands up to testing.

Something you may not have realized, as you work on Linux and Windows, is that a Linux Live CD (any flavor) will work as a great windows disaster recovery tool. Bring along a portable USB DVD drive, a live Linux disc or two, and you can easily recover files from an unbootable windows system disc at the scene of the failure.

Great for those times when someone cant boot winders, or viruses made it unusable, as long as the drive still works...you're good to go! Maybe they have all their wedding pictures and 10 years of digital family pictures...and no backup. You can save the day with a Linux Live Disc...just carry a portable blank USB drive to transfer the files to.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Wish I had some clue what you folks were talking about.:confused07:

Windows 8.

We never allow thread drift around here.

:whistling:

Its funny really, I've been a forum/chat room junky since my first computer (Tandy ds-3) on Delphi, then my first p.c. with windows 3.1, so a long time. Every time since 3.1 that windows, has upgraded I've seen a version of this discussion.

Me i'll stay with windows. Roll with the inevitable, growing pains, and enjoy each update, that makes the system better.

Rumor has, it that Mr Gates returned, to the corp office to take a hand in his company again. After seven hours and three different techs not being able to get his office computer to update properly he called a meeting of, top level management and said bluntly, fix this.

So I think things will improve

Guest tx2sturgis

Rumor has, it that Mr Gates returned, to the corp office to take a hand in his company again. After seven hours and three different techs not being able to get his office computer to update properly he called a meeting of, top level management and said bluntly, fix this.

So I think things will improve

Looks like they might.

Microsoft might start charging nothing for its Windows 8.1....which is about what its worth.

Free? WHAAAT? Well hell, Linux vendors do it, they still make money. Google does it with Android, they STILL make money. Facebook does it...they STILL MAKE MONEY!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2103381/windows-for-free-microsoft-toys-with-service-stuffed-windows-8-1-with-bing.html

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/5456374/windows-8-1-with-bing-experiment

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/28/free-windows-8-1-update/

Edited by tx2sturgis

I'm not geeky enough to run any alternate OS and get it to work with Cyberlink Suite 12 or anything for that matter.

Now that was a good windows 8 joke, worth nothing :rotf:rotf: Great jokes always come from truth.

To get the speed out of mine I went with the Solid State drive. 6 seconds from when you plug it into the wall until it asks for your PW.

Had a computer since A commodore 64 . LOL Windows 7 been the least problematic for me.

Guest tx2sturgis

To get the speed out of mine I went with the Solid State drive. 6 seconds from when you plug it into the wall until it asks for your PW.

Had a computer since A commodore 64 . LOL Windows 7 been the least problematic for me.

SolidState Drives are the bees knees. I run them on three of my four main computers and yes...boot times are FAST! Never more than 30 seconds even with a 5 or 10 second 'hold' time. (most operating systems have a hold time built in while it waits to see if your going to press a certain key to boot into BIOS or 'safe' mode. You can disable it if you want)

And of the recent memory Windows versions, I liked XP and yes, I do kinda like Win7...but ONLY because I havent broken it yet! :smile5:

I've got no use for a touch screen tiled interface on my laptops...sorry Bill Gates. Neither does most of the world.

:moon:

Yup, both the wife's laptop and my Dell desktop went on the fritz together, all because XP was starting to collapse, and was told it wouldn't be supported after April 8th, so I went down to the only computer store and was told that he didn't even sell Windows 8. All I heard up to that point was that it was no good. So just hooked up my new computer today, hooked up the wife's laptop, and we're good to go. Was told Windows 8.1 was better, but stuck with the man running the computer store and so far, so good; works for me!:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

I thought I'd try out RoboLinux. A couple of you guys on the bleeding edge is just not enough!

I downloaded and then sent the ISO over to a sandisk USB 2GB thumbdrive using Unetbootin and it installed pretty easy, except it seems much happier if you plug in a direct cat5 cable to your router when doing the install.

It seems to play well with this new Compulab Fit-PC..for the most part.

I cant get the desktop search function to work....at all. But otherwise, it seems stable as a rock. I have not tried the VM functions yet. The software repository leaves a bit to be desired compared to Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Its functional, but a bit buggy.

The desktop interface is a cross of Mac and Windows as far as the user 'feel'...the 3D dock and the workspace switcher are similar to Mac OSX and Parallels.

Some of the icons in the default theme are direct copies of Mac icons. But many of the menus and functions are hybrid of Windows, Linux, and Mac. Its like the guy decided, ok....how can we make EVERYONE happy?

SO.....if you come from the world of Windows or Mac, you will get used to it pretty quick.

I dont have an OEM disc for win7, but I do have an old copy of XP...I might load it up just for grins. It promises to keep XP running in a sheltered environment, free from viruses and malware. I dont NEED to keep an old copy of XP running, but I might try it after I give this install a few weeks to find anything that is broken....

I dont know why the desktop search function wont work...it just sits there and does nothing after I type in a file or folder name.

Hmmm.....

And it doesnt seem to be able to function with my Intel or Realtek WiFi cards...no surprise there, since Ubuntu, and Zorin didnt find them either. But it DOES work fine with a USB WiFi dongle. Two different brands.

Oh well....learning is the real goal...a 100% functional computer? If I wanted that I'll go use the iMac.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
on the robolinux it says to install with a hard line internet connection so that it can load what drivers it may need easier.

Yeah I found that out.

All of the other distros I have tried, (on other machines) were able to use the builtin wifi to get networking early in the install process. For whatever reason, Robo doesnt.

I tried several things to get the wifi modules to work...curiously, one of them, the Realtek, has bluetooth and that part works fine under Robo...but not wifi.

I'm fairly certain its a driver issue. The Robo device manager finds the module, and reports its model number, but just doesnt turn it ON. I think its wanting me to throw a wifi switch like you would on a laptop. But this is not a laptop.

If I can figure out the terminal commands for Robo to turn on the module, that might fix it. But RoboLinux just doesnt have much support on the internet...unlike Ubuntu and Mint.

Its not a huge problem...I just use a wifi dongle and all is good.

What concerns me more is that I cant seem to get desktop search to work.

It may have a command somewhere to index the drive...I really dont know what the problem is, or where to....'search' for it.

I even looked in the repository for search apps....but the repository is a bit....buggy...as I said. The software manager in Mint, and the software center in Ubuntu...well they are a pleasure to use.

I may have to dig around in the package manager...ugh...

I am using Robo and enjoying it...so far. If I can get search to work....It will fall into my list of 'recommended' distros.

I just rebuilt my PC I use all the time. The MOB died so replaced what I needed. Last rebuild was about 2007, so really old stuff running XP. Never had any problems with XP. So I kept getting "news flashes" that XP was going out, save yourself from fraud etc yada yada. So when I bought new parts I bought a new OS. I asked the person helping me pick out my parts and pieces at Tiger Direct about OS. WIndows7 or 8.1. I told them I had not heard anything good about 8.1. We talked a little more and she said "but we do have win7" about 3 times so that was enough for me. I bough 7. For me its a learning curve. Why in the world it has to do some of the stupidest stuff. Programs wont work right unless you run them as "admin" Geeze I 'm the only one using the machine for cripes sakes. If I didn't want it to run I wouldn't have clicked on it. Now if I can figure out how to make tabs show at bottom for the web pages I have open like XP that would be handy.