IGNORED

Update on the 85; shipping costs.

Well I got the air box, rubber stacks (between the air box and top of the carbs) clean, the outside of the carbs clean, the float bowls flushed with Wal-Mart's Carb cleaner, hosed down the crap off the engine, changed the plugs, (cleaned the plug recesses with a small rag soaked in carb cleaner twisted into the recess with a 3/8" dia. bottle brush).

Then I took off the oil filter housing.

Covered in black crap. Drained the oil out of the cover; there was a large, brown ,creamy blob of what I would guess is water and oil on the engine case.

I'm hoping this was condensate caused. The bike has sat outside for a long time.

No washer plate or spring in there either.

Yamaha lists the parts for less that $3.00 a piece. www.Yamahapartshouse.com wants NINTEEN DOLLARS and change to ship a washer and a little spring. They also wanted the same $19.++ to ship 2 clutch cover gaskets to me from Michigan. Essentially 2 very small pieces of paper that wouldn't weigh as much as the envelope they could be mail in.

www.Yamahapartshouse.com wanted $9.++ each for the clutch cover gaskets and $17.++ to ship them.

The local dealer gets $12.++ each for those gaskets and that includes the shipping; the dealer got the order.

Tuesday I'm calling him about the throttle cables, washer, & spring for the oil filter.

What's with shipping costs!:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by dna9656
readability

I have an advantage that the few things I ship, I can ship from my work.

That gives me about 50% UPS or FedEx discount.

But last year I shipped a shoe box, nothing heavy, from SC to MO, $12.50.

Seems like a few years ago that would have been $3.

Shipped a one big one piece Russell bike seat to NY, under $20. Go figure.

Same seat was shipped to me for more like $60, using a UPS store.

Sounds like Yamaha is only using a parcel carrier (and tacking on healthy handling charges). Notice that Ebay shippers might ship small stuff through USPS for a few bucks or free.

So, I would guess Yamaha is not into home delivery for small items.

Also check some of the bigger Yamaha on line dealers, like

Yamaha of Cucamonga, Stadium Yamaha in Dallas and I think another Dallas dealer, Central Yamaha(?). they are used to shipping to residential addresses.

They also have pretty good prices on Yamaha parts (I usually check their price, get a print out and then head to my dealer for a price match).

But,,,, could also be because it's a 1st Gen(?) :rotf:

Mike G

Doug, just out of curiosity, have you actually cranked the engine over, even by hand? I ask this because it is common that if an engine has been in the weather, at least one cylinder may have surface rust in it. You can remove the little side cover where the stator is and put a socket on the crank.

RandyA

Yah! Maybe a little Marvel Mystery Oil poured into each spark plug hole and rock the engine back and forth like Venturous suggested may be in order...

Funny you should mention that; that's exactly what I did last week, about a shot glass worth of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in each cylinder!

While serving in the USAF I spent 3 years in Fairbanks, AK. I was a vehicle Maintenance troop working in the body shop. We used MMO in Transmissions, hydraulic systems, power steering systems in general purpose stuff, in the heavy equipment, snow removal feet, just about everywhere.

No I haven't, I will give your suggestion a try. The wiring up around the fuse panel is so screwed up, some PO installed all in live fuses when the (I guess) the fuse panel broke. It's a very ugly mess. I have 2 ATO fuse panels of 5 circuits each I plan using as soon as I get a suitable material to fasten them to that I can in turn fasten into place using the rubber straps provided by Yamaha.

QUOTE=Venturous;812356]Doug, just out of curiosity, have you actually cranked the engine over, even by hand? I ask this because it is common that if an engine has been in the weather, at least one cylinder may have surface rust in it. You can remove the little side cover where the stator is and put a socket on the crank.

RandyA