IGNORED

Anybody get an Email from PAYPAL?

M61A1MECH

I have gotten lots of them through the years... Some have been so well laid out that it is hard to tell from genuine Paypal stuff.. Rule of thumb for me is NEVER click a suspicious link, instead, go to a new page - sign into the real paypal and any messages/info they need to get to you will be there...

ROTTEN, LOW LIFE, SCAMMING FOOLS.. Arggggg :no-no-no: All the chatter about terrorist in our society makes me wonder if these nasty people arent the REAL terrorists of our times...

Thanks for the warning!!

Puc

got something simular a couple months back. Something about needing to update my info for them. I promtly went directly to the pay pal site to see if there was anything there simular. Nope. But I can tell you I was pretty close to cliking the link, they really get them looking like the real deal.

I got a very suspicious email from "paypal" with an attachment that I was supposed to fill out with all sorts of private information, that they did not need.

I promptly deleted it, so you be carefull if you get one.

It is a scam!!! Anything that looks suspicious is probably a scam. Ever heard of 419? Google it and see what comes up. Just finished a book by the same name written very well by Will Ferguson. These jerks have taken in millions of dollars duping unsuspecting gullible people. The mother in law just got an email from Spain telling her that she has inherited 3 million dollars from a relative who had died in a train accident.

That's what the DELETE button is for and it always give me great satisfaction top hit it when I get one of these emails. An never, never, never, open an attachment.

You folks are lucky still. You shouldn't even have opened the attachment. PayPal will not send such attachments via email. They will tell you to login to your PayPal account and follow the instructions there if there is any kind of an issue. They will not ask you to click on a link in an email to go to your account. There are a lot of scams going on and often all you have to do is attempt to open an attachment and you are trapped.

In the future, do NOT open an attachment that you are not 100% sure about.

I get emails daily advising me that I have won lotteries or been named as the sole beneficiary. If all of those emails were indeed correct I would have become the most wealthy person on earth several years ago. I could pay off the national debt of every country on earth and still have million$ of billion$ of gazillion$ left over. Tuesday of this week I received an email advising that my eBay account may have been hacked and that I need to reset and confirm my account settings ( I do not have an eBay account). I received notice that I had won the Microsoft lottery. Actually I was notified that I had won that twice this week....lucky me!! A "Sgt Williams" in Afghanistan found my name quite by accident while searching desperately to find a willing person to help him get the (I forgot how many) million$ in gold bars he had found while on patrol there. I guess his fellow soldiers were looking the other way when he found that hidden cache. Maybe they had found their own cache and didn't need any more. A lawyer/president/relative/priest/financial advisor has a representative currently waiting at the airport in Atlanta for my phone call to tell him how to get a package containing XXX millions in dollars that he is carrying to me. I'd be really nervous loitering around the airport with a carton full of 100 dollar bills. Just an aside but most of my relatives live in the south eastern United States. I don't have any relatives in Nigeria. I get emails weekly from various banks who have noticed suspicious activity on my account and that I need to log in, check and update my data. Sometimes that email purports to be from the only bank that I actually have an account with! Odd also that while some of those emails say my account and email have been hacked and the information lost, they somehow managed to get my email address out of the fouled up account. Odder still that when I click to see the senders address it never shows up as the institutions correct name.

:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

You folks are lucky still. You shouldn't even have opened the attachment. PayPal will not send such attachments via email. They will tell you to login to your PayPal account and follow the instructions there if there is any kind of an issue. They will not ask you to click on a link in an email to go to your account. There are a lot of scams going on and often all you have to do is attempt to open an attachment and you are trapped.

In the future, do NOT open an attachment that you are not 100% sure about.

Hey Don, just for clarity sake, when you say "attachment" are you talking about the email itself or are you referring to something contained within an email that is already opened.. Can bad things happen just by opening the email to read it?

Thanks

Puc

There is also a phone scam going on ,appears to be running in the northeast at this time.You will recieve a phone call from an individual[ with a heavy accent ] claiming to be from (National Educational Systems)needing to update your filefor the student loan you applied for. When asked for the number there to confirm the company existance they will hang up and call again in 15-20 minutes.Iwent through this for about 4 hours a couple of nights ago.best to just let the answering machine screen the calls.they also are using the name AUTO FINANCE NETWORK.The number you get on caller I.D. is out of Arizona and changes every third to fourth call.the FCC tells me this is all being done from the internet and they are having a hard time blocking the activity. Whatever you do dont respond to these individual .

Just for clarity, because my original post was not ovrly clear, I did not need to open the attachment in the email I received, when I opened the email from the "view source" option available in Hotmail, I could see what the attachment was going to ask, that is how I knew what was in there and that it was a scammer trying get my info.

You are all correct, the best thing to do is to dump any suspicious email immediately.

If I get any email from an address that I am not familar with I always use the "view source" option to lt me look at the text with out activating any codes that may be in the message.

I got a very suspicious email from "paypal" with an attachment that I was supposed to fill out with all sorts of private information, that they did not need.

I promptly deleted it, so you be carefull if you get one.

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't received an email like that but if I get one, I'd do what you did. An obvious phishing attempt.

I wonder if this email is related to the phone scam I read about at http://www.callercenter.com/02086100150.html which still involved PayPal. The scammer called people and claimed to be from PayPal, asking the recipient to provide PayPal info to verify identity. But I guess the call was too suspicious. All those who received it hung up and reported the call.