IGNORED

this is a wild Idea

Brake Pad

Over the winter months...Ha Ha, This coming from someone that lives in South Florida.....

I'm thinking of a dolly system trailer set up, to remove the tongue weight off the bike

With the new bike, I can tow up to 480 pounds, (Half the weight of the bike) But was thinking more like 350. I've worked out materials and can build one. just looking at the pro's and con's of this type of set up.

I'd be concerned about the effect of a strong wind pushing on something 5'x12'.

When in Cody a couple years back i watched as Tom and Cathy got their Goldwing pushed into the other lane by a gust of wind.

I found that putting highway bars on the bike, and having my legs out there while riding in the wind, helps stabilize the bike better

Having pulled some majorly oversize trailers behind my old Jeep Cherokee and knowing how bad the wind would push around a 4,000 lb Jeep I would be very leery. I've had 20' campers or 12,000lb loaded trailers and I wouldn't want to do it again.

I believe you can make it work on paper and in principal. In an emergency situation or "extreme case" I don't see it working and you don't have a safety cage like you do in a car.

To bad ALINER doesn't make a motorcycle friendly version...http://www.aliner.com/campers

They are the coolest hard sided campers I'e ever seen ...

**Update**

just contacted Aliner in kecksburg, Pa. will let you know what their response is...

Edited by CaptainJoe

I agree with Bob, move the axle rearward. I have also pulled pups and rule # 1 is always have the heaviest trailer in front, so the weight is forward for control purposes.

Here is a trailer from the Delphi Forums site. Do not have the specifics on size, weight, etc.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/dirocjo/2012%20Trailer%20Rebuild%20-%20Micro-Weekender%20Trailer/DSC01711.jpg

Jim

I'm still don't sure I follow the reasoning for doing this in the first place unless the plan is to pull something BIG?? If it's just to get a regular MC trailer tongue weight off the bike it's an awful lot of work to remove 30-35#'s. :confused07: Albeit, discussing the engineering aspects is fun.... :)

I wouldn't bolt the axle down till it was completed, hooked up to your bike and loaded to the 480 lbs. (including cooler ice and favorite adult beverages):whistling:

The distance from the center of tongue to center of axle must be at least 1.5 times the axle width. (if memory serves me),easy enough to check , there's a lot of info on trailers on internet.

Agree the further back the axle is, the more stable a load is, BUT, it will also put more weight on your bike.

An RSV has a limit of 45 LBS? tongue weight so you may have to move the axle forward(but not past the minimum stated above) to allow the trailer carry most of the load.

Whats a Goldwings limit?

Maiden voyage should be behind a pickup truck with tail gate down. That way you can test the old girl out before you put your a$$ on the line..LOL AKA less of a pucker factor... Good Luck!

P.S. Remember, there's a reason they call it the bleeding edge, Be SAFE...

Edited by CaptainJoe

I built one when i had my rsv and it worked great.

Originally my tongue was too short and it did fishtail a little so I added 2 feet and it was fine.

We ran into a couple from arizona at rolling thunder years ago and they had built one.

He said they have been using it for years without any problems.

Oh and neither mine nor his had any brakes on it. Just 2 wheels a tongue and wiring.

good luck with yours.

Mike

Being born and raised on our farm, I have yet to see a "wagon" (two axles with a tong connected to one set of axles) that will pull straight at a "higher" speed. When driving semis we didn't call the tandem and triple trailers I pulled, "wiggle wagons" for nothing. A wiggle on a bike is not what anyone wants.

Not sure that is the way you want to go?

Two rear axles (close together) and a tong that will move up and down but not side to side may be a better option? All the weight could then be on the trailer axles and you could still go over uneven ground with out the trailer holding the bike up. With 2 axles and a solid tong I could see that happening.

Bryan