IGNORED

drive shaft oil seal

loosebiker

Does the driveshaft oilseal need to be pressed on. I am having trouble getting my oil seal to slide up on the shaft going into the pumpkin. I took the drive shaft out to grease both front and rear splines and the new seal will not go on the collar. Thanks

I've only done a MKII, but I believe they're the same.

If I remember correctly the seal will slide easily down the shaft to where the shaft diameter increases just a bit before the coupler splines. If there is a step (collar?) it might be part of the old seal, it's got a metal band on it. Compare it carefully to the new seal, if it's got the same outer diameter as the small end of the seal part of the old one is still there.

Assuming all the old seal is off you should be able to use an open end wrench just larger than the shaft diameter to tap the seal home.

Thanks for all the advise. I finally got the old oil seal out. That metal band was still on the shaft. Putting the drive shaft back in was a real PIA. I had the bike serviced and the rear end splines serviced at 16000 miles. When I took the drive shaft out of the bike at 32000 miles I found a paper towel that than been folded and put under the universal joint to hold it up. This by a mechanic with 30 yrs experience.:no-no-no:

Thanks for all the advise. I finally got the old oil seal out. That metal band was still on the shaft. Putting the drive shaft back in was a real PIA. I had the bike serviced and the rear end splines serviced at 16000 miles. When I took the drive shaft out of the bike at 32000 miles I found a paper towel that than been folded and put under the universal joint to hold it up. This by a mechanic with 30 yrs experience.:no-no-no:

seems to be a lot of that going around......:detective:

When I took the drive shaft out of the bike at 32000 miles I found a paper towel that than been folded and put under the universal joint to hold it up. This by a mechanic with 30 yrs experience.:no-no-no:

This is why I do all the maintenance work on my bike. And if you do take it to a shop, give your bike a good inspection before pulling away. 😎