IGNORED

no low beam at night after modulator install

I installed a signal dynamics plug and play module on my 08 rstd. works during the day as stated. at night it stops pulsating as it should but I have only one beam, and I think it's high. I have both beams in the daytime. My optical sensor is located under the front frame poiinting toward the road. can anyone help?

i did two searches but no one has encountered this problem.

thanks

bill

Guest tx2sturgis

I think the optical sensor should be be pointed skyward, not forward, but...this should not shut off one of the beams. First, swap out a known good bulb or unplug the modulator, and reconnect the bulb directly...to make sure the bulb is good and we can assume at that point the modulator has a problem.

Its pretty straightforward...they either work, or they dont work.

:happy34:

I think the optical sensor should be be pointed skyward, not forward, but...this should not shut off one of the beams. First, swap out a known good bulb or unplug the modulator, and reconnect the bulb directly...to make sure the bulb is good and we can assume at that point the modulator has a problem.

Sensor can be pointed either way according to federal law. There are different cutoff values for which way sensor is oriented. It would depend on mfg of sensor as to correct orientation. This is detailed in section S7.9.4.1 (f) of attached federal law.

Does the high/low beam switch between bulbs correctly in day? If it does, system is probably wired correctly but has an internal failure in modulator.

Call manufacturer for their input.

Gary

YES the instructions clearly stated "Skyward" when I installed mine a few years ago on my RSV 2008. :080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
Sensor can be pointed either way according to federal law.

Gary

Not sure what the Federal standards for the sensor are, but they arent relevant, really. What matters is what the manufacturer of the modulator recommends. And any sane federal standards (!) will reference the manufacturers installation recommendations.

Pointing forward, at night, the sensor might 'see' bright oncoming headlights and 'think' its now daytime, triggering the modulator to start flashing again...right in the eyes of the oncoming traffic...not a good thing.

Pointing the sensor UP is the way to go.

thanks for your help all. I double checked and my instructions specifically said to instal the sensor in a relativily water free area and point it toward the road. I'll try it the other way, but cant see why it'd leave me with no low beam only at night. strange!

Guest tx2sturgis
thanks for your help all. I double checked and my instructions specifically said to instal the sensor in a relativily water free area and point it toward the road. I'll try it the other way, but cant see why it'd leave me with no low beam only at night. strange!

It could be toward the road, and that would work too...but I assume they meant downwards toward the pavement...not towards oncoming traffic.

Its only purpose is to detect light, so it knows when its dark, and is able to turn off the modulating beam, and go into steady beam.

I tried a Kisan modulator years ago...and wasnt happy with it. In the garbage it went.

For some reason, it went into modulating mode a couple of times at night, after darkening the high (modulating) beam. I wont tolerate lighting problems at night on MY motorcycle, and if it failed completely some night on a curve at 75 miles per hour it could kill me.

For the same reason I tried HID lighting (from a vendor that others here had recommended) and then tossed that P.O.S. in the garbage. It just didnt work right and reliably on my bike...and I wont tolerate that. For any reason.

Others are happy with them...so YMMV.

Good luck!

Edited by tx2sturgis