IGNORED

Wireless tire pressure monitoring

brd7666

I am thinking about buying some kind of a wireless tire pressure monitoring system. How many of you are using a tire pressure monitoring system? Which one are you using? How do you like it? Can you include a link to site that sells the one you have? Pros and cons, if any? Thanks.

2 years ago I bought 2 sets from Cruiser Customizing....gave one set to a good friend and put the other set on my Venture. We were both disappointed in the performance and took them off the tires in short order.

Boomer....who sez ya can't beat a good tire guage when checking critical tire pressures.

Over many years of riding I have developed my own way of keeping track of my tire pressures on my bike while in motion and it has worked really good for me.. I have found that I can tell by feel and sound if my tires are low, the tires go from a solid tap to soft thump when I hit highway cracks and crevices, it all comes down to paying attention to whats going on.. I also check pressures manually when touring, especially changes in altitude - like mountain riding - with my trusted tire guage..

I have also experienced my share of flats over the years.. These have always occurred so quickly (punctures that instantly relieve pressure) that no form of "monitoring" would have helped..

Even if I did have one of these new faindaingled systems I am way to old school,, I would never trust it and find myself out on the prairie checkin my tires in the morning same as always.

Over many years of riding I have developed my own way of keeping track of my tire pressures on my bike while in motion and it has worked really good for me.. I have found that I can tell by feel and sound if my tires are low, the tires go from a solid tap to soft thump when I hit highway cracks and crevices, it all comes down to paying attention to whats going on.. I also check pressures manually when touring, especially changes in altitude - like mountain riding - with my trusted tire guage..

I have also experienced my share of flats over the years.. These have always occurred so quickly (punctures that instantly relieve pressure) that no form of "monitoring" would have helped..

Even if I did have one of these new faindaingled systems I am way to old school,, I would never trust it and find myself out on the prairie checkin my tires in the morning same as always.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: I have been thinking about the Ride-On a lot more.

Well, its a funny story;

Last spring for a birthday present I got a wireless TPMS. I set it up on the handle bar where I could easily see it and tested it all spring.

Its really quite impressive. Accuracy is as good as it gets and response time is very quick. It appeared to be an excellent toy for not only early morning checks but while in motion check as well. The system worked perfectly all spring and summer.

We then went on holidays. About half way across southern washington the ABS light starts flashing. I checked to make sure nothing was falling apart and also checked the tire pressers with my fancy TPMS thingy. 44 psi in the front witch is about right for the conditions. We carried on.

By the time we got to the next town the bike was decidedly pulling to the left and handling was going south. We stopped at a gas station and noticed a virtually flat front tire due to a broken valve stem. The TPMS was still reporting 44PSI.

I then removed the sensors and it reported 44 in the front/0 in the rear. I tossed them in the cubby hole. 4 days later it was still reporting 44 PSI. (It has since dropped to 0 and now tests OK.) The unit is still in the cubby hole. I can't decide what to do with it.

So my experience has been: its a great thing that works well but when I needed it the most.....epic fail.

They came standard on my Triumph Trophy. The book says not to rely on them instead of checking pressure with a gauge. Which to me kinda limits the use/need for them. They do work while riding to check I guess for a slow leak. I still get on my hands and knees and check the pressure with an air gauge before each ride. I have noticed that the pressure will increase as much as 5-7lbs when the tires get hot.

• 3 years later...

Why does everything now need an app or a computer prog & a battery. Much rather rely on my trusty ol' mechanical gauge. (Even if it does mean lying on the floor to get at the back wheel valve!) LOL Way more accurate!

Actually mechanical gauges are not that accurate unless calibrated. Drop or bang it a couple times and it can be out as much as 3-5 lbs. I have a little digital job, but getting into and under the bags on the Vic is more of a PIA then the RSV was for some reason. I have $150 race air gauge and it still has to be corrected occasionally.

So.... Is there a reliable tire pressure gauge that we can pack with us that does work? Do I have to buy a dozen of those small $2 units and use one until it breaks then throw!

I have the hand pump with the gauge but putting it on while laying on my back is not fun. And the normal car size units don't fit on the rim well. The the gauge with the soft hose looses to much air with my arthritic hands trying to get the hose on straight...

Best solution choices?

Like I said, I have a high dollar race gauge. Racequip or intercomp I think, from when I worked on race cars. The pencil gauges I wouldnt use to check my lawn mower. I am using an accurite digital kind of like this one. I know on a bike we want something small and compact. But here is an article on the "best" gauges.

TPMS is a good tool when riding long distances. It is essential to monitor a slow leak and LD riding/rallying does not really lend itself to constantly monitoring the tire pressure with a hand gauge.

Here is a very in depth discussion from the IronButt magazine of available motorcycle TPMS's.

RR

My bro-inlaw had avalanch things with tpms. Fine for first 5-6 years. Then at least once a year he had to get some replaced, or would have to do the hat dance thing to reset them and hope light went out. Now they are making them so you have to take it to someone that has a hand held or scan tool to reset. Because that is more user friendly.

My Goldwing has a factory TPMS on it , it does not give the pressure, it only tells you that at least one tire is low, it does not indicate which tire, so you have to go hunt for it, but if the light comes on, then both tires generally need to be topped off. I am lazy and do not check the air pressure as regularly as I should, but one thing I do like is the fact that if I run over something while riding that has the potential of puncturing a tire and causing a slow leak, I can monitor the TPMS alarm light while riding to give me a heads up that I have a developing problem.

They do have batteries in them that eventually go dead and you have to replace the sensor or if you know how replace the batteries.

I am now looking at a couple systems that are a bit less money than the FOBO. One had a TPMS like autos, but that would mean dismount tires to install. ARGH The other is $25-30 less and uses valve caps also as the sensor. But it is a China sold giz mo, so dont know how much I like that.

Hard to believe the GW only has a idiot light and the theory is get off your but and you figure it out. LOL