IGNORED

possibly weak battery/starter?

wingryder

Just bought a 1985 gold wing aspencade 1200 and I'm thinking I may need a new battery? There are times where it will turn over as if the battery has very little power left. Then there are times where it turns over like it's saying "oh this is nothing" doesn't matter if I'm starting it for the first time that day or from after riding awhile. We (father) and me checked the charging system and it is charging at about 13.8-14.4 @2800 cruising speed. My grandfather ADC recommended to put a extra ground cable on the starter to the block to help ground the starter. Is there anything else I should check?

When in doubt, get a new battery. Afterall, it's a motorcycle...not a car.

Also, inside of starter motor could be dirty with contact brush residue that can be cleaned off with brake cleaner spray. After cleaning, be sure to re-lube the bushings, and re-bend the brush plate grounding tangs.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling

It seems to have gotten better as I ride it more but now (and I may be wrong I will need to confirm) I think I am hearing a slight (valve?) Tick coming from the left side cylinder head and possibly right side as well. Can any tell me if the 82 1100 interstate goldwing timing belts match up to my 85 1200 aspencade? @Jeff when you come back from FL be sure to give notice :stirthepot:

My son as an 83 aspencade, It had the same issue, I would hardly turn over with a new battery, We took the starter out and rebuilt/cleaned it up. It was full of old grease and dirt and all the other stuff a starter get built up in it. We also put on a new starter selonid. Problem cured.

• 2 weeks later...