IGNORED

Air Fork Balance Kit

Tisunac

I'm trying to locate a replacement for a discontinued Progressive Suspension air for balance kit (PS-AFB-1) that was available a few years back. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm trying to connect front forks so the air pressure will always be the same in each fork...

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jeff I though about it a couple times. If I knew exactly which fitting and could procure them, a fellow could fab up some braided steel earls lines or aeroquip and be in bussiness.

I guess you could just run the lines to the forks to a "t" then install the schrader valve there huh?

Thank you for all suggestions, guys.

To make one myself - I'm really not that handy. I understand it is not that difficult (two vents, a tube and a mid-vent) but I wouldn't dare to play with it. I wouldn't mind buying one from somebody who knows what he's doing...

Neither Dennis Kirk nor Cruiser Customizing not any other website or company have them any longer - the product has been discontinued. So, I'm hoping somebody can fill in the void in the market (apparently, nobody's making them!) and come up with the product and sell it to riders as well as websites :fingers-crossed-emo

I'm thinking Spruce Aircraft Canada would have ALL the parts one would need to fabricate a decent looking setup. From what I have seen all you need is fittings for the shocks a splitter for the airlines a 1" dial pressure guage and an air valve.:detective:

:mytruck1:

I'm thinking plastic is not so good, Search for Tandem tire equalizers, or Tire to tire emergency air lines. The Tandem equalizers are pretty much ideal as it goes Schrader to Schrader with a T with a Schrader and a air gauge. Seen on truck and RV wheels to keep the duals with same air pressure so they run the same Temp and do not blow out. Amongst a few other benefits. The RV size would seem to be Ideal. A rubber type hose.

Like this , but got to be a smaller version.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQaGUVOS9c]Crossfire Dual Tire Equalization System Installation - YouTube[/ame]

The truck balance kits are pricey. Here is a pic of a kit for rear of HD. http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Harley-Davidson-FLHT-Touring-UltraClassic-96-Motorcycle-Air-Shock-Absorbers-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/~d4AAOxy79VRcXED/$T2eC16J,!)0E9s37FbCyBRc(ECsMKQ~~60_12.JPG

I'm thinking earls lines. Are the holes for the air valves 8mm? If so a fitting like this some -4 an line and a T fitting. Would probably have to thread the inside of one of the T fitting holes to reinstall the scharder valve. The fitting lists for about $8ea T fitting $18 Line if you get like brake lines @ 6" run $18ea. Should be able to buy unmade bulk line less but you still need to add ends then. Anyway we go it aint cheap. Prices were from Summit

You really do not need brake lines rated for 3,000+ PSI.

The max pressure in the front shocks is only 17PSI and most run less than max. I was thinking some cheap black polyethylene or polyurethane line rated for 100PSI that will go on a barbed fitting with a cheap spring clamp.

If I had a 2nd gen I would have already made something up.

The outside of a Schrader valve is a 5/16-32 UNEF thread, the same thing as a -4AN fitting.

Just take out the valve core and screw on the an fitting and attach your hose to the barb. It does not have to cost a fortune to work.

• Like 1

Almost took a trip to home depot to see what I could come up with. then the rain started again. So I skipped it. I dont know about todays auto stores having AN line. I bet most the guys working there wouldnt know an AN fitting from a pipe fitting. You go in and ask and first question is "whats it fit". My usual answer is "its going to fit on".......if you got it.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I've seen a lot of requests to find an alternative.. myself included, but then i got to wondering :confused:  Since they haven't been replaced... ever.. did they even work??  Think about it..  The set up was to connect the forks with a schrader valve in the connecting line in place of the single OEM shrader fill.   It would allow the pressure to flow from one fork to the other.  While sitting the pressure would be equal, but while doing the twisties there would be an increase... depending on which fork is on the low side.. and a decrease on the high side fork... and the psi would become unequal for a brief time until the bike standing upright again.  It might effect handling??  Make sense??   Hey what else does an OF have to do on a Sunday afternoon??  :-)