IGNORED

Yamaha Venture s 2010 2011 Bullenton Battery Drain

The battery on my 2011 Venture S kept going dead in 2 to 3 weeks of not being used for a ride. I bought the bike new in Nov of last year and I guess I had enough of hooking the battery tender up every time I parked the bike at home.

I took it to the dealer this week for him to check it out. Of course the first comment was parking it with the switch in the ACC position. My reply to him that is kind of hard to do when I remove the key when it is at home. He agreed to check it out.

The next day he called me to let me know that Yamaha had issued a letter for the 2010 and 2011 Ventures in December of 2012 stating that the condition exists. They are to run a test and check the draw on the IPOD adaptor and amp. IPOD out of the bike.

If the test is positive they have 2 solutions.

1. Disconnect the connector to the adaptor every time the bike will be parked for more than a week.

2. Replace the wiring harness to the adaptor that will stop the current draw when the bike is parked at no charge.

He ordered the harness and it will be in a week from CA.

Just figured I would pass this on to anyone have the same issue with a 2010 or 2011 venture s.:lightbulb:

Bob

North Georgia

You don't need to remove the isimple, you do need to unplug or remove your ipod. That is all!!! and yes it will draw it down in in about 4-5 days. I ran my plug out of the bag, and in between the seats for my wife. I put a leather fanny pack on the back of my back rest and the cable sits there. We hook it to our iphones and play pandora from there and use the gps and it works awesome.

You can buy a second cord if you want and run it to the front bars, 2 out ports on the isimple.

If you have an iphone 5 you can get a 30 pin to lightning adapter and I put heat shrink on it, works awesome.

See if you can get info from the dealer on the wiring change. They must be changing the power feed so it is on a switched circuit and not live all the time.

The CB circuit is live all the time and if an iPod is connected to the iSimple adapter it is charging all the time. This is the battery draw they are trying to affect. Since the iSimple became a standard part of the bike in the 2010 model year they must be be changing the connection to a switched circuit.

See if you can get the TSB number from the dealer.

My '07 power plug disconects when ever I turn off the ignition. I leave my GPS plugged in all the time and automatically activates when I turn the key to the on position. Isn't there a 12vdc plug made that you can plug a usb ended power cable into to power up the Ipod?? There wouldn't be a draw in that case.

I'd be very interested...last battery died while at dealer. They still want to say it's my Custom Dynamics run-turn-brake light mod, which I have on a switched relay. They tested all with ammeter and couldn't find the drain so right now I'm waiting for the battery to die again.

Attached is an extract from the latest Yamaha Tech Update. I don't see anything about the wiring harness.

I think it was the 2011 audio mid year technical change

2011 technical change m2011 002

, mine has only done it 1x and it's when I left the ipod connected and turned on.

This is what I have found out. It is a letter from Yamaha Customer support dated a little over a year ago ( no number).

It advises that if a customer complains of the battery on 2010 and 2011 Ventures with in 3 weeks of last operation should be advised to do the following:

1. Buy a battery tender and plug it into the bike when not being driven and also disconnect the Ipod.

2. When parked disconnect the connection to the IPOD adaptor.

3. Install part # 1BMH259LV200 wiring harness that will disconnect the power to the Ipod adapter when the key is in the off position.

If you own a 2010 or 2011 the harness should be in warranty.

Hope this helps

Bob

• 1 month later...

The new wiring harness at the IPOD adaptor fixed the problem. This weekend was the first time I rode my bike in 4 weeks. Waiting to have either a dead or weak battery I got my charger out and was ready to charge the bike. Instead when I hit the button it started right up.

Hope this helps anyone else that is having the same problem

Bob:)

Why not find the fuse, that feeds that circuit. Should be simple enough. Then install a Switch to kill power to whatever is drawing current. Turn Switch " OFF " when you park the bike.

OR--- just rewire the fuse for that circuit to a point which has NO power when the key is turned OFF. Again, should be simple enough.