IGNORED

Ready to Kick some butt!

Went for a 2 up ride today and about 40 miles down the road heard a slapping noise. Could not really find anything but decided to ride home to do a better checkout. Got home and after a careful inspection found the rear tire was separating down the middle. Chunks of the tread were coming off down to the belts, man was I pissed! The background story is that about a year and a half ago, I took the bike to a Yami dealer and had 2 new Metzlers put on, I live about 30 miles from the dealer and on the way home picked up a nail. After trailering the bike back to the dealer he tells me sorry no road hazard warranty on bike tires, but since he was a nice guy he would give 50% off on a new one as well as mounting and balance. I never really checked the second tire but it looked the same so I never really thought about it. The tires had probably about 4500 miles on them. I believe the reason the tire separated was due to the tire size and load rating of the tire they replaced. My bike takes a 150/90 15 74H minimum. They put on a 140/80b 15 67H. The load difference is over 200lbs on a biased tire. I am no tire expert but I believe that tire was made for a 650 size bike. The front tire looks like it has another 10-12K miles left but I will probably replace both. Should I take issue with the dealer over this as we could have been seriously injured had the tire failed completely or go someplace else and buy better tires, like a set of Avons or E3s. I am also unsure about the use of biased/belted tires, any words of wisdom out there? This if for my 96 RSTC. Thanks!!

:confused::confused::confused:

Go with the E3's. Avons have an issue with sidewall cracking. I've been thru 3 sets of Avon's in teh last 18 months because of it. Finally got tired of changing tires so I wen't with the E3's. They seem to have a little less wet weather traction but it's not a major difference but no issues in 2000 miles so far and no signs of wear on them yet.

Go with the E3's. Avons have an issue with sidewall cracking. I've been thru 3 sets of Avon's in teh last 18 months because of it. Finally got tired of changing tires so I wen't with the E3's. They seem to have a little less wet weather traction but it's not a major difference but no issues in 2000 miles so far and no signs of wear on them yet.

This is the second set of Avons venom X on my bike and so far NO SIDE WALL CRACKING on either pair. And in the past, people have mentioned that so trust me I check...often

:fingers-crossed-emo

Joboo,

Your experience is exactly why I will not run the 880 metzler, I personally know 6 people, people I ride with, that had the exact same thing happen to their 880 metzlers on the rear of the bike. metzler will not acknowledge that there is an issue with them now. I personally will never buy a metzler product due to how they have treated folks I know and I tell everyone not to use them and why.

Tires is a very personal subject, everyone has their opinions and we all know about opinions. I have run many different tires on 1st and 2nd gen Ventures, all the brands for the most part. Even though I know there are folks that have issues with Avons, I personally never have and I love the venom X's. Dunlops E3 is a decent tire, I run the Shinko's right now on 2 1st gens and like them as well. The Michelin Commanders were a good tire as well, but now you'll have to go with a Commander II as they no longer make the original Commander.

Best thing I can tell you is stay away from the metzlers..... :2cents:

Thanks for the replies guys. Still really steamed about that tire coming apart like that. Metzler is no longer listing that tire as available anymore, not wondering why, POS. Still steamed the stealer put it on there without telling me about the change in size too. Hope ya'll had a great weekend, Stay Safe! :beer: