IGNORED

Luggage question

dwatson636

Hi All,

We are prepping for a trip from Denver to Phoenix to go see the new grandson. I have neither a luggage rack or luggage bag for the RSTD. I have been pricing the OEM rack for the bike and it is going for around $150. I have yet to start pricing luggage bags.

My question is that I have seen some luggage bags that strap on to the back of the passenger backrest rather tightly. Would it be OK to use one of these with out a rack? We don't want a huge one, just something big enough for a weekend? Maybe let it sit on the fender itself.

Just wondering here.

Dave

If I had the money right now for a hitch, I would buy the rack. I would be putting some kind of foam between the bag and the fender to prevent scratching. Eventually I will be putting the rack on, but financially, I can't do it before this trip.

Hello Dave: Before I purchased a rack for my rstd. I rolled up a dark towel and placed it on the fender between the license plate and back rest. I then strapped a Kuryakn T bag to my backrest and let it rest on the towel. It worked fine until I decided to purchase a rack. Enjoy your trip. Keep us posted...

Guest tx2sturgis

Yes, as stated, you should try to protect the fender paint..if you let the bag sit on the paint, and ride a few hundred miles, it will scuff it noticeably.

A towel will work, as will a real chamois leather cloth. Yeah, a chamois cloth will cost more than a cheap towel, but it will protect the paint, and is usable during bike washes..(or to filter water out of gasoline!)..Double the chamois cloth, or add the towel on top of it, and make sure the bag cant move around...bungee it good!

BTW, most t-bag style luggage needs a backrest to hold it in place.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Detailers-Choice-10X02500-Genuine-Leather/dp/B000EFCPOK/ref=sr_1_22/191-4222835-2432902?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1376764088&sr=1-22]Amazon.com: Detailer's Choice 10X02500 Genuine Leather Chamois, 5 Sq Ft-1 each: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WdEJMLaML.@@AMEPARAM@@41WdEJMLaML[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Ok, funds are now here, going to buy the OEM luggage rack and some sort of luggage. Next question would be, does any one have a preference on luggage brands. I am looking at saddleman, they have bars that make the bag fit tight around the backpad. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my DROID4

Hello Dave: Before I added the Harley Tour pack to our RSTD, we used a Kuryakn T Bag. It attached to the backrest with large velcro belt. Surprising how much we could pack in it. I reccomend purchasing several of the spider web type cargo nets also. What you cant get in the bag can go on top or around the sides if properly latched down. The cargo nets can be hooked together if one net is not large enough. I prefer them over single bungee type straps. I always placed a garbage bag inside before packing and carried an extra garbage bag as an emerency rain cover for the T-Bag. The OEM rain cover never would fit after we overpacked at times. I hope this helps.:)

Hello Dave: If I remember correctly the model of the Kuryakn was a "Grand T Bag". The large velcro did fine. However I also used a 6' cam buckle strap as a safety. I ran it down between the velcro and the backrest, under the rack and back up on top. Cinched it up a bit. Then put the spider web cargo net on top out of conveinence. If you shed a jacket, it is so easy to place it under the web net and continue your ride. I always carried our rain gear on top under the net so it would be easy to access if we needed it. When are you leaving? Patrolman46 owns my Kuryakn bag now. Uses it on his daily ride RSTD bike. He is leaving for California on August 28th for a week. I have no problem loaning it to you. :whistling:

I have a couple types of luggage. I have a Firstgear roll-aboard suitcase type bag. It is made just like a regualr rool-aboard suitecase but has a very wide velcro strip you put around your sissy bar. Large paocets on outside and is a nice bag. Over $140 new, a craigs list pick up for $40 I think.

The bag I have used the most is a Dowco Rally Pack. Sort of a back pack looking unit, has velcro straps horizontaly to secure around something and a couple straps going the other way to secure it so it won go up or down and bounce off. It is a soft sidded unit so it can be stuffed unlike the suitcase style. Clothes stay a little nicer in the suitcase type, but I have packed my clothe in the space saver bags for years now. They are the big zip top type bags you can get from bed bath beyond and I supose Wally World has them also.

The bags are two fold reasoning. 1:compresses clothes to get more in (down side is because you can pack more your carrying weight goes up as you tend to take more) 2:keeps clothes dry even if you get caught in a shower and dont get the rain cover on the travel bag.

The Dowco bag also has D rings on outside to bungee things like jackets, rain gear etc to. I also prefer in that instance to use the net type bungee's. Good luck and enjoy your trip. I am leaving for Toronto Canada area on Tue. :cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis

The Tourmaster looks like a good choice.

You can apply Scotchguard to help waterproof nylon luggage...it will then tolerate some level of rain but if you get into a heavy downpour that requires you to suit-up with raingear, then its time to cover the bag also.

Since it sounds like you are new to motorcycle traveling, I will throw in a couple of other tips for longer trips, especially two-up:

When packing, tightly roll up all of your jeans and shirts, and wrap a couple of sturdy rubber bands around them. This will let you pack the bag so that you can still dig thru it and find what you need, and not have to refold things.

Take along a very small travel bottle of Woolite, and you can do a light wash of shirts and underwear/socks in a motel sink, or under a faucet at a campground, and not have to carry several days worth of dirty laundry on the bike. Hang or drape them over the towel bar or AC unit to dry overnight in the room. (obviously dont block the AC completely)

Also, for the man, (women will rarely do this), you can pack your older, worn-thru socks, jeans, shirts, and underwear, wear them once, then toss them out rather than re-packing them or cleaning them as you travel.

It never makes sense to me to pack and carry dirty laundry on a bike. You can even throw some of that stuff in a box and mail it home from your destination. Saves repacking it all on the bike...and leaves room for buying new shirts or souvenirs.

Pack some wet-ones or similar in a few ziplock bags, add a tiny bit of water, and you have some handy wipes that pack anywhere, and really handy for cleanups...in certain places....you get the idea. :smile5:

And when you apply sunscreen, use the wet-wipes to clean off the palms of your hands before you put them back on the handlebar grips. That oily stuff is bad for the grip rubber..it causes them to deteriorate much faster.

Have fun on your run to the sun!

:happy34:

I use that model of Tourmaster on my RSTD. You will like it. From experience - don't trust the tie strap on the bottom of the rain cover. It's no fun chasing it down on the freeway in traffic with a rainstorm beginning. Once I retrieved it and put it back on I wrapped it with bunge straps wih no further problems and everything stayed dry

Craigs list is a great place to look for used bike equipment. I got a very nice double tank bag for around $30 I think. Its a cortech 33 liter or something. Small and large bag stack. Its discontinued now but new was in the neighborhood of $150. I have gotten some good deals. Lots of folks buy gear and later decide that riding is not for them ro they change bikes and dont need the same gear they had before.