IGNORED

1st gen mods

sandman

While riding the beautiful roads around Sturgis SD last wk, I noticed some things that need attention on THE MACHINE. 1st one is what I consider a design flaw. If anyone has addressed this let me know. The gage panel is at a angle to reflect the sun into my eyes, blinding me when sun is behind me. Either have to change gages or adjust angle of install. Speedo howls terrible. odometer quit. wont reset trip. Now I'm wondering if scooter has more that the 80k indicated. Things wearing out that shouldn't. Also bike still feels very unstable. Like I'm riding on a raised line and it keeps wanting to fall off.

While riding the beautiful roads around Sturgis SD last wk, I noticed some things that need attention on THE MACHINE. 1st one is what I consider a design flaw. If anyone has addressed this let me know. The gage panel is at a angle to reflect the sun into my eyes, blinding me when sun is behind me. Either have to change gages or adjust angle of install. Speedo howls terrible. odometer quit. wont reset trip. Now I'm wondering if scooter has more that the 80k indicated. Things wearing out that shouldn't. Also bike still feels very unstable. Like I'm riding on a raised line and it keeps wanting to fall off.

Whatever angle you put gauges at that you can see, you will at some point have a reflection with sun to your back.

Unstable issue can be, tires cupped or inflation wrong, steering head bearings loose or need replaced, swing arm bearings loose or need replaced, front wheel bearings need replaced, wrong torque on front or rear axle.

Speedo cable probably needs lubed for howling.

Odometer could be broke gear between odometer & speedo.

I have a replacement instrument cluster if you find you need it.

Gary

All the std maintenance items were done prior to sturgis. Cable cam loose on a shake down run and it was lubed and reinstalled. All brg.s front rear, forks removed and steering brgs greased. swing arm was removed at engine removal and everything seems good. Brg.s lubed. but there is bushings that were dry and no way to lube short of removal. Could use a couple new ones. Tires are good but set for a long time. Not checked. Run 40psi on indonesia dunlops. Bike just seems like it wants to fall off line. Very critical to any road imperfections or my inputs. Thought at first it was because it is top heavy but it is a constant fight at low speeds. Air ride is set at med to high settings. Bike rides like a caddie. Love it on open road two up is sweet, after 45 to 50mph. Maybe it is operating as it should. But it isnt pleseant to ride in slow stop and go driving. Maybe a 150 on back? and std shock, and springs up front? Don't know how long air ride will survive.

VR,s forum strikes again. Did the army engineered lube. marvel oil in cable housing and air pressure. Speedo is quiet and now the trip meter works. took a few tries to get a couple digits to zero but all went back after repeated resets. Let front tire pressure down to 36/7 see if that helps. In progress. thanks

Trader, Thanks for suggestion, but have heavy fork brace already. After reducing ft tire air pressure it seems to be abit better. Not sure since I removed trunk and wife wasn't on back. Will try new tires in spring. Other than that not sure. Maybe its normal for this bike. Never rode one this big.

Hey Sandy, I have bars adjusted back and down and ride most of the time leaned back against tippy with my feet on the engine guards so I am low in the saddle.. This position is extremly comfortable for me (and her) on my back/legs and arms and it also eliminates that glare!! I never really thought about what you are saying until now but yea, if I am sitting upright with my back straight I do recall the glare your speaking of.. Even when I covered many many miles alone on one of my other 83's I would adjust my backrest (drivers backrest) rearward so I could put my bag/tent on the rear seat behind the backrest, ran a cut down windshield and left my trunk at home.. Rode many many miles leaned down in the same position I mentioned earlier and NEVER had glare issues..

First thing I have always done to my bikes is drop in Progressive springs in the forks.. I have NEVER owned a good set of OEM springs,, even though most of the 83/84s I have owned have had under 25k on them when purchased the front springs have been sacked out - I honestly believe this happens just from sitting/being stored with the weight on them.. I bought Progressives for the one we are riding now for 70 bucks (free shipping) off ebay.. Seems like I paid 140 for my first set years ago so not a bad deal!!! Never did the aftermarket fork brace but was always tempted to.. I have had multiple bikes that "shimy" right at 46 mph if you let go of the bars - I fixed this by only going no handed above 46 but always wondered if that stiffer brace would fix this..

Yea, that stupid speedo noise.. Lube it or loose it I always say, simple to do.. Mine is still noisey when real cold even after being lubed many times. It stops though after it warms up above 40 degrees...

You ever had your carbs synced?? I got the tools if you got the time --- freeby to a fellow Venture rider!!

Hey,, did you get my phone number?? You wanna try and hook up before monday?? Not for sure whether we are heading back out at that time but Tippy is ready and the bike is almost ready.. We are thinking about touching base at Vogel to give our worn out ol 1st gen an ego boost after rubbing shoulders with all those ritzy HD's at sturgis on our way out to Texas and we wanna ride the Nachez Trace to get there so Monday is almost a must.. Anyway,, give me a jingle if ya wanna chat!!

Puc

Got windshield that was on it when i purchased it. Clear top to bottom. Glare comes from behind or over shoulder. That large plastic sheet over the panel acts like a arc welder when sun hits it. Even with polarized sun glasses on. After I got speedo quieted down now I hear other noises. Will work on those as I can. Thanks everyone for your help. sandy

• 5 years later...
Got windshield that was on it when i purchased it. Clear top to bottom. Glare comes from behind or over shoulder. That large plastic sheet over the panel acts like a arc welder when sun hits it. Even with polarized sun glasses on. After I got speedo quieted down now I hear other noises. Will work on those as I can. Thanks everyone for your help. sandy

This is a very old post, but I thought I'd share something that helped me with dash glare for those that experience this discomfort.

I took my gauge face off and sprayed it with flat black paint. Hardest part (slowest) was taping the clear and warning/turn signal areas up. It helps considerably. I will still get some glare from the clear areas at times, but it is minimal. I was getting the majority of the glare from the black areas of the entire gauge face and this really helped tremendously.

This is a very old post, but I thought I'd share something that helped me with dash glare for those that experience this discomfort.

I took my gauge face off and sprayed it with flat black paint. Hardest part (slowest) was taping the clear and warning/turn signal areas up. It helps considerably. I will still get some glare from the clear areas at times, but it is minimal. I was getting the majority of the glare from the black areas of the entire gauge face and this really helped tremendously.

The main problem that created the glare is the angle of the dash. My solution was to pivot the whole dash back so the face was at 90 degrees to my line of sight. There is no way there can be any reflection from the sun because my body is in the way. This had the added benefit of making the trip gauges easier to read.

In order to pivot the dash it was necessary to make a couple of spacers to spread the OEM supports. It took quite a bit of fooling around to get it to work but was definitely worth it to me.

The main problem that created the glare is the angle of the dash. My solution was to pivot the whole dash back so the face was at 90 degrees to my line of sight. There is no way there can be any reflection from the sun because my body is in the way. This had the added benefit of making the trip gauges easier to read.

In order to pivot the dash it was necessary to make a couple of spacers to spread the OEM supports. It took quite a bit of fooling around to get it to work but was definitely worth it to me.

Good on ya Cammy:thumbsup:,, I fixed mine too brother,,, I just never look down :missingtooth: