IGNORED

The next international rally

eusa1

A lot of good points mentioned here. Avoiding school for the kids. Too hot etc. Not going to please everyone. I would love to attend a rally in Texas, but I think March or April would be the best time? The black hills of South Dakota would be an excellent choice. Cody was a blast!! Many other spots I am sure. Hats off to everyone! Anxious to hear what is decided for next year so we can possibly plan to attend another rally?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its time to be in the west if 1/3 of the members are living in the west. If we are talking about being fair to all regions of the continent its just time. I have more time now as Ive changed jobs so I would volunteer to help out anyone that was interested in heading up something in the west.

How about a west coast INTL like something in Norcal , Washington, Oregon country. Even Nelson BC to make it a true Intl meet? (Nelson just springs to mind as I am here right now and have met up with 3 Venturerider members since I got here and there isn't any kind of a meet going on, everyone is just here for the great roads)

Brian

Just something to think about. I'm parked at the Gunthersville state park Lodge. I spoke to the management about having one here (South-West) of Huntsville in Clay County Alabama. I'm going to talk to the marketing director in the morning. This place is HUGE !!!!.185 rooms sits on top of the mountain. A lot to do here

I would put in for a vaction to this one :whistling:

A lot of good points mentioned here. Avoiding school for the kids. Too hot etc. Not going to please everyone. I would love to attend a rally in Texas, but I think March or April would be the best time? The black hills of South Dakota would be an excellent choice. Cody was a blast!! Many other spots I am sure. Hats off to everyone! Anxious to hear what is decided for next year so we can possibly plan to attend another rally?

Phoneman,

A lot of our northern members still have their bikes stored in March/April !

Yes. I understand. Me included. I would likely have to trailer at least part way to Texas also. (Something I have never done yet) but would be willing to do so to experience the Texas hill country in mild weather. No matter where you hold the event not everyone would be able to attend anyway. Too far, too hot, too cold, wrong time etc. April would allow Texas to host the event. I realize my suggestion was not a perfect one. I was impressed with the hospitality and the weather when I was there for Kreg's MD earlier this year. I did like Brian's suggestion of Nelson B.C also. I hope as the years go on that we will be able to experience as many VR events as possible regardless of the location.:)

What about Idaho? Great weather, great scenery, and it's in the west.

:mytruck1: :15_8_211[1]:

Hey Owl... I'd come!! But.... that far west will cut off a lot of members along the Atlantic coast states. No way I'd expect someone to travel 4-5 days to attend an IR. Same thing for those of us out here on the west coast. The IR ain't Sturgis. That's why I suggested somewhere in the middle. One of the reasons that Cody and Ft Collins turned out so great is we had awesome historical riding, great lodging, terrific fellowship, and it was accessible to a lot of members within a 2 1/2 day ride or a 1000-1300 miles, and it was worth the ride. Now that I think about it a bit...Sturgis or somewhere in the area in June would be a possibility. The Black Hills, Rushmore, are a couple of rides in the area that I haven't seen yet and are on my bucket list... I might also add that treating an IR like a big meet and eat with a couple of rides tossed in doesn't excite me any. We have enough local M&E's. If I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks I wanna be intertained..... :stirthepot:

I totally get why some of the other National organizations (STAR / GWRRA come to mind amongst others) and VR have the various meets / IR's "East" - a greater number of folks live there - and it doesn't take "day's" to get somewhere. Having said that, I would like to see - or be up for - something "out west" next year - be it the IR or another Venture West round up. For a Venture West - I could see heading to Oregon / Washington - if the IR - somewhere around the 4 Corners maybe? And if needed or requested, work with some heading that up. :doh:

The international rallys started in '07 when I hosted the Ft. Collins Colorado one. '08 was in Kitchener Ontario Canada. '09 was down in Arkansas at The Hub. '10 was the 5th anniversary back at Potato Creek south of Southbend Indiana, '11 was Cody Wyoming, '12 was Western New York and now '13 was Galena Illinois.

The reasons that the rallys are predominantly held in late July early August is folks with kids don't have to worry about their youngun's being in school. The weather is in a fairly stable mode for most of the country. It's tough having a rally in the south during the summer for obvious reasons. I would LOVE to host a rally here in Texas, there are some great roads to ride in the Texas hill country, the 3 sisters to name one, or 3 such as it is. Only problem is were in triple digits right now and folk from the North would cook as you just dont immediately get used to this heat.

Personally, I would love to see one in Tennessee Eastern TN is beautiful, but so is the West side of the state. Kentucky as well, I know there are some great well kept secret roads there. Like mentioned, someone has to step up and fill some very big shoes. It is a huge undertaking and you need a group that can work well together. It's not for the faint of heart and you will beat your head on a wall from time to time. In the end, when you see the smiles on everyones faces, and hear the stories, thats the pay off. So who is willing to fill those shoes for the next one....

Yes Eastern TN... I have NASCAR Bristol Race Night Race on my Bucket List too :cool10::fingers-crossed-emo 3 cents

I have seen and am represented on this map. I don't think that it is utilized fully by members though.

Judging by the shipping locations for the wrenches I sell, the two states with far and away the most sales are Texas, followed by California. On the pin map, California has only 3 pins. Texas is somewhat better represented, but I am fairly sure that there are a lot more than what is noted here. Canada seems very sparsely represented also.

This is a start and a general sampling though.

Judging by the map a central location would be in Upper Midwest through Pennsylvania, and down through Kentucky, Tennessee areas.

Tennessee and Kentucky seem like a logical choice due to nice scenic areas and a lack of large yearly gatherings in those areas. Ohio area has Oberlin MD for the yearly pilgrimage to Don's so that would be a duplicate. My thoughts are an IR in Southeastern Atlantic states would be a duplication of the Vogel rally that is held at a very similar time frame.

I would like to see something done in Kentucky/Tennessee areas for next rally. Granted, there is B2Dad/Moms weekend gathering in Tennessee, but that still wouldn't rule out an International Rally. There are a lot of big attractions and beautiful scenery in those areas.

Michigan area has a lot to offer also. Pennsylvania/New York would be a repeat of last years venue.

Trying to offer some constructive options here as I am aware that a decision will be made soon. Area selected will certainly need the input of members in nominated area to step up and say let's do it here.

Pulling a rally off like this will be a task that needs commitment from a group of members that can work together and make timely decisions as to what resources are available and to get accommodations and schedules initiated.

:2cents: :feedback:

Gary

We did the Bourbon trail and it was great. I like Kentucky, Tennessee and Michigan or is it ischigan ??

I'd love to see 2015 in Montrose or Cortez Colorado.

From Montrose you can do the Million Dollar highway, Independence Pass, Silverton, Durango, Mesa Verde National Park etc.

From Cortez you can still do Durango, Million Dollar Highway, Silverton (and the train), Mesa Verde National Park, and you can ride to Moab, Ut and Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point.

Montrose is a little more accessible from I-70.

Dave

How about a east of the Mississippi rally and a west of Mississippi rally.

Stagger the dates on rallies by a month so those that were able could attend both.

Gary

Dooooooeeeeeees that mean we would have an easissippi rally and a wesissippi rally??

I almost need apple pie just too type that

Hey Owl... I'd come!! But.... that far west will cut off a lot of members along the Atlantic coast states. No way I'd expect someone to travel 4-5 days to attend an IR. Same thing for those of us out here on the west coast. The IR ain't Sturgis. That's why I suggested somewhere in the middle. One of the reasons that Cody and Ft Collins turned out so great is we had awesome historical riding, great lodging, terrific fellowship, and it was accessible to a lot of members within a 2 1/2 day ride or a 1000-1300 miles, and it was worth the ride. Now that I think about it a bit...Sturgis or somewhere in the area in June would be a possibility. The Black Hills, Rushmore, are a couple of rides in the area that I haven't seen yet and are on my bucket list... I might also add that treating an IR like a big meet and eat with a couple of rides tossed in doesn't excite me any. We have enough local M&E's. If I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks I wanna be intertained..... :stirthepot:

The Black Hills are beautiful (in the summer) and well worth anyone's time to visit. Unfortunately, we don't have any members that live in that area. In fact, I think we have a total or 2 members in the entire state.

But yah know, Squidly did a great job of putting together the rally in Colorado when he was living in Michigan. Maybe he would step up to the plate again and put together a rally in NoDak from Texas. (:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:)

:mytruck1:

But yah know, Squidly did a great job of putting together the rally in Colorado when he was living in Michigan. Maybe he would step up to the plate again and put together a rally in NoDak from Texas. (:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:)

I can tell you that I WONT do that again. Thats was one of the biggest pita's I ever did. I was amazed that the Ft. Collins rally went as well as it did. I can handle doing one in Texas as I can go and scout things out. If we decide that we want to do an earlier rally, like end of April beginning of May, I might jump into the abyss again.

As previously stated, I'd really like to see the rally out west in 2014.

Perhaps in 2015, If I could get some volunteers from WV without too much arm twisting... we could host one in Summersville, WV. It is centrally located to all the sights and has excellent camping and lodging possibilities....:whistling:

I'd love to see 2015 in Montrose or Cortez Colorado.

From Montrose you can do the Million Dollar highway, Independence Pass, Silverton, Durango, Mesa Verde National Park etc.

From Cortez you can still do Durango, Million Dollar Highway, Silverton (and the train), Mesa Verde National Park, and you can ride to Moab, Ut and Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point.

Montrose is a little more accessible from I-70.

Dave

By 2015 I might have to be retired in which case I might be able to get my VR on the road. :rotfl:

I would be in for this trip http://goo.gl/maps/LrBkX.

One can dream at least. :Cool_cool36:

When I look at the extreme weather conditions almost everywhere in NA it is a bit difficult to plan to leave my corner of Heaven.

How about a east of the Mississippi rally and a west of Mississippi rally.

Stagger the dates on rallies by a month so those that were able could attend both.

Gary

+1

I likie!

Tennesee, Kentucky or WV for the east side.

Would be willing to host one next year if we could do both .

I know for a fact I could get enough ride captains and tail gunners to make it happen.

Plus its at least 10 degrees cooler in the mountains,

We could have one at Summersville or Snowshoe WV or ???

Folks, I'm hearing some great suggestions for locations but I've only heard ONE person step up and and say "I'll do it next year". That is Brake Pad.

So.....how about it? We will make a decision very soon so if you are willing to step up to the plate, be the team leader and put together the people you need to help, then throw your hat in the ring.

+1

I likie!

Tennesee, Kentucky or WV for the east side.

Would be willing to host one next year if we could do both .

I know for a fact I could get enough ride captains and tail gunners to make it happen.

Plus its at least 10 degrees cooler in the mountains,

We could have one at Summersville or Snowshoe WV or ???

I will help.

New river bridge would be a great ride in WV.

http://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/nrgbridge.htm

Gary