IGNORED

New Fuel Pump Fix

naturbar

The fuel pump on my 07 RSMTD was intermittent and would require an occasional tap to make it work. I removed the end cover off my pump (Note: push the rubber grommet into the cover if possible, i pulled mine and broke it - RTV to the rescue) to find the points really messed up (see pic). I noticed the Mitsubishi Diamond Star on the end of the pump cover and began to research. I found that Mitsubishi makes fuel pumps for many bikes including Yamaha. Upon further research I found a company in the UK that sells the points switch set. This set fits many different bikes but the one I ordered was for 1990 - 2003 Honda XRV 750 African Twin (I am including the eBay Vendor).

The repair is very simple, unsolder one wire and remove two screws and the points set comes out. Before removing the old set, take a good look at the plunger arm coming out of the pump which actuates the points breaker plate. There is a groove in the plunger arm which must "catch" the breaker plate to actuate them - so be sure to reassemble properly. I am supplying a how to video as well.

There is one wire each under each screw - one wire is black to one screw and the other wire is a twisted lug wire which goes under the other screw. There is a thin paper gasket between the point switch set and the fuel pump body. In the video I've provide you will notice the one wire under one screw is green in the video but that same wire is BLACK on our bike. The cost is right @ $50.00 but you don't have to remove the pump or replace it with a Mr. Gasket and relocate holes. Best of luck for those who use this fix.

Vendor In U.S.A.

eBay Vendor

How to Video

Edited by naturbar
Added Vendor in the states - which is cheaper.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The point sets are available thru Amazon/K&L supply for $26+ bucks w/free shipping.

Do a google for .

With three 2ndGen's I bought 3 sets last year for a little over $25 ea. from K&L. IT still is the least expensive I could find....

2014-10-14 19.02.48 (Medium).jpg