IGNORED

We had a biker hit us!

Yama Mama

Hey Yama Mama,

I hope you don't get sued but nowdays you never know. I had an insured that was stopped at a traffic light and a drunk guy starts to ride his bicycle across the street and hits the car in the side door. He sued and the auto insurance company paid him. Is it right? No. But that's the way it is today. Too many lawyers.

Hey Yama Mama,

I hope you don't get sued but nowdays you never know. I had an insured that was stopped at a traffic light and a drunk guy starts to ride his bicycle across the street and hits the car in the side door. He sued and the auto insurance company paid him. Is it right? No. But that's the way it is today. Too many lawyers.

Oh I know what you are saying is true. The bicyclist did tell the Police that he did not stop, like he should have. That is my hope that nothing will come of this. If we had been on our RSV, we would have gone down for sure and not only hurt our bike, but more than likely ourselves too. I just hope that nothing does come of it. Ron has called several times to the lawyers office with out any one answering the phone as yet. He was just going to ask how he was doing.

Wish us luck.

Yama Mamaattachment.php?attachmentid=78492&stc=1&d=1373658381

I am not anti-bicyclist. I just think some of our highway design engineers have their heads up their butt.

Mike

Yes and Mike I believe that is why there are bike trails or paths, which is better for everyone. Keeps the bicyclists off the roadways and to them selves where they can Yell " Passing on your left " stay out of the way of traffic.

Yama Mama

Ron has called several times to the lawyers office with out any one answering the phone as yet. He was just going to ask how he was doing.

Wish us luck.

Yama Mama

I've been watching this and limited myself to one remark. I have my own opinion due to the behavior of the local pedal pushers. So I've been good.

But, I'm going to say this. I'm not a lawyer, not even close but I'd been involved with transportation safety for over a decade working with lawyers in defending drivers, management and the companies after accidents of all kinds including trucks, buses, cars, motorcycles, horses, pigs, cows and yes....... pedal pushers.

Here's the thing. You guys are good people. I haven't met you in person but it shows here. The fact alone that you're concerned about the guy that ran into you shows you care. Makes me glad to know folks like you.

But...... from what I've seen and learned in these lawsuits is its best to not make contact with the other party after the incident is over.

Sounds cold hearted don't it?

So much stuff gets turned around if it ends up in a legal process. You call the guy and and say something like "we regret this happened", "hope you're ok", "didn't see you coming", "wish we could have avoided it" all get twisted to the party that got hurt from their own negligence being the victim. They turn it into an apology from you.

A simple statement of concern like "Sorry you got hurt" turns into an admission of guilt and puts holes in some of the best slam dunk, not at fault all cases I've seen.

The insurance companies settling to avoid a lawsuit are bad enough. Don't allow yourself to put words into the others mouth in the process.

Remember who ran into you. A lawyer. Be careful what you say.

So good luck and hope the guy realizes he's patch short of a repair kit on a bike and takes the bus from now on.

:2cents: and change.

I've been watching this and limited myself to one remark. I have my own opinion due to the behavior of the local pedal pushers. So I've been good.

But, I'm going to say this. I'm not a lawyer, not even close but I'd been involved with transportation safety for over a decade working with lawyers in defending drivers, management and the companies after accidents of all kinds including trucks, buses, cars, motorcycles, horses, pigs, cows and yes....... pedal pushers.

Here's the thing. You guys are good people. I haven't met you in person but it shows here. The fact alone that you're concerned about the guy that ran into you shows you care. Makes me glad to know folks like you.

But...... from what I've seen and learned in these lawsuits is its best to not make contact with the other party after the incident is over.

Sounds cold hearted don't it?

So much stuff gets turned around if it ends up in a legal process. You call the guy and and say something like "we regret this happened", "hope you're ok", "didn't see you coming", "wish we could have avoided it" all get twisted to the party that got hurt from their own negligence being the victim. They turn it into an apology from you.

A simple statement of concern like "Sorry you got hurt" turns into an admission of guilt and puts holes in some of the best slam dunk, not at fault all cases I've seen.

The insurance companies settling to avoid a lawsuit are bad enough. Don't allow yourself to put words into the others mouth in the process.

Remember who ran into you. A lawyer. Be careful what you say.

So good luck and hope the guy realizes he's patch short of a repair kit on a bike and takes the bus from now on.

:2cents: and change.

All that and more. YamaMama you might consider deleting this post or any posts that show perceived remorse.

Lawyers and courts have gone to reading social network posts of defendants and plaintiffs to get an edge. And yes, this is a social network.

Yes and Mike I believe that is why there are bike trails or paths, which is better for everyone. Keeps the bicyclists off the roadways and to them selves where they can Yell " Passing on your left " stay out of the way of traffic.

Yama Mama

Again I agree except that here in Washington State the bike path is often a white stripe on the right side of the right hand lane. Thus creating the problems I described. I hope all goes well for your situation.

Mike

Oh hell...dont get me started....:stirthepot:

Ok I won't but you sure got me started. We have TONS of bicycle riders in our area every weekend and holidays as well as wanna be Tour de France riders on any nice day. I have actually spoken to them to find out where they live and have yet to meet one that lives within 15 miles of here. When I ask them why they do not ride in their neighborhoods they say that there are to many cars in their area. Our area is narrow two lane rutted potholed roads but they think it is "safer" here. To pass them l have to cross the yellow line (which is technically illegal) and expose myself to oncoming traffic. They hold back traffic but do they get a ticket for obstruction of traffic? Why if course not. They don't pay road taxes here because they don't live here and they don't buy gas here so why the hell should they have unrestricted control over the roads. There are roads that have adequate shoulder space but they "don't want to ride there" so instead they ride on these roads. While I know it is legal it's not very smart and jeopardizes all other traffics safety. It legal for me to ride my motorcycle in Manhattan but it wouldn't be very smart or safe of me to do so now would it?

We have once again been forced to accept a stupid practice by the few and are defined as loudmouth dummies if we oppose it. Why do I have to endanger myself for the choice of a stupid practice? Why do I have to allow my road tax monies to be spent on a road system (bike lanes) that is not supported financially by the actual users? Why do I have to accept all this in my neighborhood when they don't and won't use their own neighborhoods. Why are they not ticketed for obstructing traffic where I would be if I drove around at low speed everywhere I went?

i am not "anti-bicycle" but I am anti-stupid and arrogant!

Ride on roads that allow adequate safety without obstructing traffic? Don't force me to endanger myself just to get around you. Don't expect special treatment of road usage without financially supporting that road system. And lastly just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Very good advice Snaggletooth. Don't say anything. In a deposition or courtroom a lawyer will ask for a yes or no answer. You could be asked, "You called Mr. Doe to say you hoped he was alright because you felt bad that you hit him, didn't you? When you try to explain why you called, the attorney will stop you in the middle of your explanation and say, just answser yes or no. I got sued a few years ago and had to give a deposition. The attorney would ask a question and I would want to give an explanation. My attorney asked for a break and took me outside and told me not to volunteer any info, just answer the question. Attorneys will try anything. When we got back inside the attorney asked me if I have ever been on the sales lot of a local mobile home sales lot. I said no, and I don't even know where the lot is. The attorney asked me again and I said no. The attorney said Mr. Hall before I ask you this questions again here is something you need to read. It was an affadavit from the manager of the sales lot stating that when the insured's mobile home burned I ran to the lot and asked the manager for the description and serial number of the mobile home so I could insure it after it burned. It's a wonder I didn't get arrested. I flew into a rage and got in the attorney's face and said, "This is false and if that manager filed a false affadavit I'm going to get his ass, your ass and anyone else invovled. My attorney grabbed me by the arm and said we need to take a break and drug me outside. My attorney said calm down calm down, that affadavit isn't signed. The manager would be a fool to sign a false affadavit. The opposing attorney was going to try to trick me into saying something that wasn't true. This isn't right and you would think attorneys would uphold the law, but I can tell you from experience you can't trust them.