IGNORED

Questions about fuel petcock filter

Hello everyone i had a couple of questions regarding my new to me 87 venture...but first some background.

I got the motorcycle on trade from another guy who got it on trade from another guy who traded it for a push-mower :confused07: so i knew nothing of the history. i have now realized although the bike was running when i got it it was being held together by hopes and dreams. I have since taking the bike down to the frame and i am rebuilding it. i have rebuilt the rear swing arm, sanded and painted the frame, rebuilt the drive shaft, cleaned the carbs, modded the fuse box to ACTs, rebuilt the left and right side control switches, and now I'm down to the fuel system i took the tank off (which was the biggest pain in the butt for a motorcycle i have ever encountered) and it was full of a metallic sloshing sound so i took the petcock off to drain the tank and of course it was full of rust so I'm going to clean and reseal the tank but i the petcock has 2 filters on them that are ruined so now my question is.

where can i get replacement filters? I cant find any online.

what else would you guys recommend i rebuild on the bike while its apart? I was thinking about doing the fork seals but they don't leak, also I read on the forum that you can see the date on the tires to see if they are old but i couldn't find the date on the tires should i just replace them anyway?

thanks in advance for all the help :cool10:

The filters are an extremely fine mesh that are not replaceable independent of the petcock assembly.

Depends how brave you are. A good inline filter will catch 99.9% of what comes through.

There is not much between petcock screens & inline filter, only petcock valve. You could clip off the now junk screens and go that route.

I have a used, decent petcock if you want to replace it.

PM me.

Gary

:sign yeah that:

I went through that when the rust ripped mine to shreads.

After resealing the tank with this product:

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I replaced the petcock. I tried a kit to replace the screens but like Gary said, it isn't made in a way to do that.

Having the RUN pickup plays to your advantage with the higher pickup level in case you get some bad fuel.

It's worth it to just replace it IMHO

:sign yeah that:

I went through that when the rust ripped mine to shreads.

After resealing the tank with this product:

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I replaced the petcock. I tried a kit to replace the screens but like Gary said, it isn't made in a way to do that.

Having the RUN pickup plays to your advantage with the higher pickup level in case you get some bad fuel.

It's worth it to just replace it IMHO

Where did you get a kit at? 1st I have heard of that.

Guessing it is a third party universal type thing.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Yeah it was. It was such a piece of junk I didn't even keep the link for it. Ran across it when I first found mine damaged. It was a single tube and only one size. Both pickups would have been the same height. Better than nothing IF it would have stood up . LOL.

Wasn't worth the $5.00 to get it.