IGNORED

Can I still ride with blown rear shock?

Ventureless

I just returned a week ago from a trip and the bike did great. I go out yesterday to throw the cover over it for the coming rain and noticed the dreaded puddle under the rear shock. I did notice last Friday that it was riding funny on the way home from work but just thought maybe low tire or something quick and easy (and cheap). Well apparently not. So I will be looking for a shock (probably works or something similar), but in the meantime while waiting for the new one, can I still ride. With the size of the puddle, I highly doubt there is any fluid left to leak out and lube the rear tire. And I am sure it will bottom out. But I ride pretty much every day to and from work and like the MPGs better than the SUV. It is all pretty much straight smooth highway on my 30 mile commute each way. Might be a crappy ride, but at least I could still ride. I think.

Perfect that is what I wanted to hear. Like I said it is a pretty straight shot to work and I go in at about 3:30 AM with no traffic and leave at about 1PM with very minimal traffic so I can usually go as slow or as quick as I want without fear of getting run over. And other than the highway on/off ramps, no real curves to speak of.

I rode mine from the east coast to the west coast with a blown shock. Pumped the air up to 50 psi and off I went. Only time it really bothered me was in higher speed corners say above 60 mph then got a bit of wiggle. I will say that the ride did continue to deteriorate (or at least it felt like it did) and I replaced the shock as soon as I got back to the west coast.

Guest tx2sturgis

Yeah, who needs shock absorbers anyway....you cant see them when riding, and after all, if the rear tire hops and looses its contact with the pavement on a bumpy, curved, exit ramp at 70 mph...yeah...no biggie....and who cares about rear wheel hop when full braking is needed for that idiot cager who figures you can stop in time.

:stirthepot:

Guest tx2sturgis
Mine blew about a month after buying my 99.I rode it 2 years like that and never noticed any difference,other than an occasional bottoming out when I hit a pot hole.i thought it handled great up in the mountains of NC.I had a sidecar on It for 4 years with the bad shock and never worried about it.I sold the bike and don't know if the new owner replaced it or not.After about a month it stopped leaking so I'm guessing all the fluid leaked out.Never thought about replacing it as the bike rode just fine for me.Kevin, you remember when we rode the dragon together,the shock was shot then and I had no problems.

I'm not trying to sound like a safety-crat, but are you saying you think its a great idea, and safe, to ride with faulty suspension? And you post this knowing that someone could get hurt riding a bike with that problem? What if the suspension components are worn badly? How about bearings? And tires with no tread left? We've all done it...is it safe? Nope.

Sure we can all do what we want. I know members who have posted things that seemed dangerous to me, but they did fine. But I dont think its a good idea to post things like that...since new riders read this forum all the time.

In my case, I ride with no helmet 99.9% of the time...but I dont normally post that its fine for others to do so, especially to new riders or those with questions about riding. I tend to advise others to keep things in good repair, and I stick by that now.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but when my shock began to fail, I did not like that 'loose', bumpy feeling in the corners. Yes I rode it, till the new one came in, but at reduced speed, less comfort, and a lack of confidence in the bike.

Just my 2 cents...:2cents:

Can a bad shock feel like you have a low rear tire?

Yes and it breaks contact in the corners much more easily. Had that happen on a trip and said WTF. Went to the dealer that confirmed my suspicion the rear shock went bad. Had two shocks replaced on the 08.

I'm not trying to sound like a safety-crat, but are you saying you think its a great idea, and safe, to ride with faulty suspension? And you post this knowing that someone could get hurt riding a bike with that problem? What if the suspension components are worn badly? How about bearings? And tires with no tread left? We've all done it...is it safe? Nope.

Sure we can all do what we want. I know members who have posted things that seemed dangerous to me, but they did fine. But I dont think its a good idea to post things like that...since new riders read this forum all the time.

In my case, I ride with no helmet 99.9% of the time...but I dont normally post that its fine for others to do so, especially to new riders or those with questions about riding. I tend to advise others to keep things in good repair, and I stick by that now.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but when my shock began to fail, I did not like that 'loose', bumpy feeling in the corners. Yes I rode it, till the new one came in, but at reduced speed, less comfort, and a lack of confidence in the bike.

Just my 2 cents...:2cents:

I agree with you about keeping my equipment in good repair. But I also know that the RSV is my main (although not my only) transportation. And I also know there will be risk involved in continuing to ride it with the shock. But I will accept that risk and slow down and be more careful on my 30 mile each way commute down a pretty much straight highway. No 60 or 70 mph curves for me until it is replaced.

Guest tx2sturgis
I agree with you about keeping my equipment in good repair. But I also know that the RSV is my main (although not my only) transportation. And I also know there will be risk involved in continuing to ride it with the shock. But I will accept that risk and slow down and be more careful on my 30 mile each way commute down a pretty much straight highway. No 60 or 70 mph curves for me until it is replaced.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk since you asked a legitimate question. And the answers you got were all over the place.

But I would rather one or two people view my answer as being harsh than to have someone post that they were hurt on a bike with safety concerns that was being ridden on the advice of someone who said its fine to ride it that way. You know, certain items are simply for comfort or appearance. But others are safety related.

I think the bike could also be ridden with no front brakes...but would I recommend it? Nope.

Take care.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Members here will put out their opinion per the post, but I personally will not recommend what you are suppose to do. Yes, we can all ride our Venture in any condition it is in good or bad. Ultimately, the final decision rest to the main op of the bike. If anyone has any doubt that it is unsafe to ride your bike - think twice and lean towards safety.

Well I have contacted both works and Hagon. Works is about $900 and at least 6 weeks before I will see the shock. Hagon has the regular shock for about $400 and the upgraded for about $500. For those of you with a Hagon, did you buy the normal or upgraded? The lady is telling me that with my weight (300lbs) and no more than 100 pounds of cargo (always solo) for a total of 400 lbs, I need the upgraded. Yet they used to tell people that the original shock was good to 420. I am asking because it seems the regular is almost immediately available (2 weeks roughly) while the upgraded will be 6-8 weeks before I would get it. So with either Works or Hagon, I will be losing the rest of the summer riding season. I have ruled out the Works as I have a $3000 bike and can't see paying almost a 1/3 of that on just a shock. And waiting almost 2 months for the Hagon does not seem like an option either. As much as I hate to say it, I might be looking at a new bike this weekend. A somewhat local (90 miles away) shop in neighboring W Va has some good deals on new (2012) Vstrom 1000 Adventure bikes. It would be strange going back to a sport touring style bike, but for $10K out the door for a brand new bike with side bags, top case, heated grips, brush guards, hand guards, adjustable shield, and more, it seems like a hell of a deal. Especially if they give me a good trade value on the Venture. Plus they have $400 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months right now. Would I regret it, probably. But I can always find another Venture later.

It bothers me when folks get upset and delete their opinions just because somebody else has a different opinion. Bumble Bee asked a question and anytime such a question is asked, there will be varying opinions. He needs to hear both sides of the debate and then make up his own mind. Just because somebody does not agree with you, does not mean that your opinion is without merit.

We sometimes need thicker skin around here.

I don't know if it's worth your time to do it or not but I have a spare stock shock if you want to borrow it until you can get one. I am out of town so it will be at least Friday before I could ship it.

I appreciate the offer sir, but with my luck right now, your shock would blow out as well and I would be replacing mine and yours.

While I am here I will give a little update. Pumped the shock up to 40-45 and rode to work. 27 miles later I pull into work and the shock has no air at all. It also rode like sh^t. SO it looks like I will be driving the SUV for now. Called Hagon again and was told the estimated delivery date would be September 23. Works is about a week earlier. And I am not buying a stock shock and biting this bullet again. So it may be going. I am going to look at some bikes this weekend and seeing what kind of trade in value I can get. Not saying I will go through with it because I love the RSV, but I need a ride. Having the bike sit for 2 months doesn't cut it for me. If anyone might have any interest in a great running 99 RSV with a blown shock and lots of accessories and extras to go with it, let me know and I will send all the info.

Guest tx2sturgis
It's apparent my opinions are worthless here so I deleted my last two replies.

I apologize for being so harsh, and probably should have said less...sometimes, less is more.

Not wanting to diminish anyones enjoyment of the forum...but my opinion was and still is that in order to provide the best advise, when safety is a concern, I have sometimes unfortunately stepped on someones toes...its nothing personal...

:cool17:

I once rode my KX500 home from the U.P. of Michigan with a blown shock and no Nitrogen in it - talk about a scary ride - and that was on a dirt bike!! Gotta tell you guys, riding a "springer mono" on a RSV simply wouldnt be a good idea..

Are there any other alternatives for this guy besides buying exact replacements? I wonder how close a first gen shock would be? Are these shocks rebuildable?

I tell you what. I understand that things do happen that we have no control over. If you want to borrow my shock, I will not hold you responsible in any way if something happens to it. Now that's the best I can do. I'll even pay shipping to you. You just pay return shipping when you send it back. If it were to blow, you can just throw it away. I wouldn't need a blown shock returned.