IGNORED

CB usage question...

az1103

How many of you actually use the CB, and for what? Originally it sounded like a good idea, but to tell the truth in the 8 months or so of ownership and a couple of over 1k trips I have yet to talk to anyone, or even hear anything worthwhile!:confused24:

So how do the rest of you use this thing? I realy would like to hear some constructive suggestions.

I thought it might be a good emergency tool but quite frankly I don't see how I could ever get to anyone.:(

Guest tx2sturgis
So how do the rest of you use this thing? I realy would like to hear some constructive suggestions.

I thought it might be a good emergency tool but quite frankly I don't see how I could ever get to anyone.:(

With all due respect to the CBers...I find CB on a bike is mostly worthless. I know, some of you DO communicate to each other during a group ride, but riding solo, its mostly useless. The only thing I use it for is when I'm traveling and encounter some kind of traffic pile-up, and then I turn it on and listen to the 18 wheelers to see what lane is open and that sort of thing. I've never even transmitted on the CB on either my 2000 Ultra or my 2007 Venture. I have no idea if either one even transmits...I've never plugged in a mic...dont even own one.

A friend that I ride with has a cb on his Harley and we use it for communication. As stated, it's really nice on a group ride. I have used channel 19 on solo trips when I've gotten into traffic to find out what is causing the delay or get directions, but with the language and general BS that is in use on that channel now days, I won't stay on it.

VR.o family uses channel 29 as a standard.

How many of you actually use the CB, and for what? Originally it sounded like a good idea, but to tell the truth in the 8 months or so of ownership and a couple of over 1k trips I have yet to talk to anyone, or even hear anything worthwhile!:confused24:

My experience is much like yours. In two years of ownership I've got maybe two total minutes of transmit time on my CB. Chanel 19 isn't worth listening to, and CB's aren't very good for emergencies anymore. They could be nice in group ride, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Three of us generally ride together and the CB makes it easy to talk to each other as if we were in a car. At times we chat about everything from the weather to our wives. Today we met up with a couple from Indiana , down here in South Texas, and we asked him to turn on his CB to 29 and he got to use it for the first time on his trip.. He was surprised that we were constantly talking. Also a great safety feature when riding with a group.. Loose rocks in the road .. dead animal on the left hand side etc. Much better than hand signals.

Yes when riding alone it is not of much value, it doesnot have enough range to get help. cell phone is much better

Bill P

I believe Wingers have a Channel they monitor, if you want to talk to them. Not sure what it is though.

Listioning to truckers is a big help near big cities for traffic slow downs. If I see problems ahead, I switch off the music, and listion to the truckers to find out what is going on.

Few times I have gotten routing help from the truckers also.

Use mine on group rides, mostly PGR missions.

I use it on the highway some. When on, I usually squelch it way back. About all I can hear are the folks I can see. I've used it for traffic, but I've also used it on occasion to let a driver know I'm coming up and around. Sometimes the truckers are surprised to hear from a two-wheeler and we'll ride along for a while trading jokes and polite insults. A couple of times I've been caught in some really bad air behind a rig. If I can get them on the radio, sometimes they will make an effort to get out of the way and let me through.

If the garbage gets too ugly and I can't squelch it out, I'll turn the volume down for a while and hope I get out of range soon.

If the garbage gets too ugly and I can't squelch it out, I'll turn the volume down for a while and hope I get out of range soon.

Get a 1st gen, then you don't have to "hope" to get out of range,

all you have to do is twist your right wrist! :witch_brew:

Mine is always on. When driving back from Atlanta I monitored 19 listening to the truckers....that may have saved me from running over a deer one of them had just hit!

As most of my rides are with friends and also us having two bikes, we need to talk to each other.

So, I guess the answer for me is yes...it is a useful tool for me to have.

I have a Cb in my truck, but not on the bike. When I went down to the Big Smoke a while back, there was hardly any Cb traffic at all. When I asked my Dad who drove Transport all his life what was up he said most guys are going VHF for the longer range. Sounds right as I get allmost no chatter on any channel on Cb at home.

I use mine alot for hunting bear... We let the dogs run and I usually run point on the two tracks on my Venture.. My dad (who is a stroke victim) will hang back in the truck and we communicate back and forth with the CB... I can see where "normal" folks wouldnt really get much use out of one with the cell phone popularity BUT for hunting,, you cant beat a CB...

'Puc

Guest KitCarson

I am not allowed to hunt any BARE'S lately....:rotfl::rotfl:But the CB is nice when riding with a friend or group that has communications also. It is nice to be able to talk to each other and pull over.....or stop......or say Whoops.....I think we are lost!!. Sometimes at certain times it is quite clear.....sometimes I can hear someone say something...not sure what........even if I clean out my ears good I still cannot understand it sometimes. That is all I use it for, as the range is limited....I would not think it would ever be a good emergency tool or at least not one to count on......a Cell phone is what you need for stuff that might put you beside the road. Usually most of the time on the interstate if they have a wreck and you want to avoid the traffic jam.....it is always my luck I get caught in a stretch that is five miles to the next exit anyway.......and the troopers frown on making u-turns and riding backwards down the shoulder till you get past the barriers and cut across the median. Besides to ride on the shoulder very much might not be good for tires......

I put a handheld CB on the '83 for the trip to Ft Collins. Wasn't worth a hoot. Couldn't hear a thing. We had a group of 4+1 riding together and I just followed the crowd..... An intercom setup would have been nice just to listen to the others yak. I don't know if the '91's CB works just yet, but it does cancel out the am/fm when the squelch is turned down, so that must be a good thing.....

We have friends & family we ride with who have CBs [Yammers & Wings] & it's really great to be able to talk to each other while on an all day trip.

When we go somewhere for a few days with someone else, it's handy to be able to talk to them.

Also, is PG & PGR missions. #19 when there is a mess ahead can save a lot of wait time.

Too many times, I'd just hate to be without it.

CB doesn't get much use during solo bike rides.

I believe Wingers have a Channel they monitor, if you want to talk to them. Not sure what it is though.

Listioning to truckers is a big help near big cities for traffic slow downs. If I see problems ahead, I switch off the music, and listion to the truckers to find out what is going on.

Few times I have gotten routing help from the truckers also.

I believe they use channel 2.

Like everyone else, it is great to have on group rides or even when just riding with one other person. I do my best to avoid interstates in most situations, but my CB is always on when I have to ride the super-slab. I stay on 19 and monitor/talk with the truckers. Sometimes I do get very good info on where the bears are or road debris and traffic problems. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well, reckon I am the only one who uses their cb consistently ... Have it

on all the time .. Talk to truckers and local LEO's who run their secret

channel *35* .. The call me the conceerned citizin ... hahaha .. Have called

in a couple of accidents to the locals here and they have responded quickly.

Probably one of the few cities around that still have CB in their car ...

Talk to other bikers when I see they have dual antennas ... I have been

a CB guy for probably 45 years .. Shoot, when I started, there were only

6 channels and you had to pay for your license ... KOD-8699 which turned

into Unit 99 in the early skip days, to HB, ... CB has saved my bootie more

time than I can remember ... Wrecks, Dead Animules, ticket givvers ....

Yeah, I don't use mine much when solo. The chatter, joking, sight-seeing, games etc. that go on during a long group ride with others on CB is a totally different experience than doing the same without. One of my favorite (or favourite for some of you who have trouble spelling :D) parts of rides with groups of Venture Riders!