IGNORED

Need help after dropping venture

ok I did it. Dropped my 2011 bike on its left side. Scratched up the cowling and rad cover on the left side of the bike. When I picked it up it was leaking from the rear of the motor housing behind the kickstand a blue/green fluid the I believe is gear lube. looked like an ounce or two leaked out. Could I be right and do I replace it through the rear end housing. A friend of mine thinks it is the shock.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Bob:225:

There is no gear lube just motor oil.

Motor oil is also used as gear lubrication. Your buddy may be right and it is the shock. I have not seen the color of the shock fluid so hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

ok I did it. Dropped my 2011 bike on its left side. Scratched up the cowling and rad cover on the left side of the bike. When I picked it up it was leaking from the rear of the motor housing behind the kickstand a blue/green fluid the I believe is gear lube. looked like an ounce or two leaked out. Could I be right and do I replace it through the rear end housing. A friend of mine thinks it is the shock.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Hi Bob, sorry to hear about the drop.. its not like it's never happened to any of us before.. (some more often than not..).

Just going out on a limb here, but did you compare the fluid you discovered with that from your radiator reservoir? Its possible that some coolant leaked out of the reservoir tank (sits under the seat behind the engine) and dribbled down to the dropped side of the bike.. Hopefully it's nothing more than just that and yer good to go... (good time to check reservoir levels etc)

The pumpkin on the rear wheel and left side has a breather Cap on the top... maybe this however it is a bit further back than the kick stand. Also the color seems to match that lube too. How bad did the Fairing get scratched? Insurance?

Good Luck :080402gudl_prv:

Sorry to hear you dropped your Venture. To scratch the fairing you must have gone all the way over. Beyond the engine guard. Usually scratches the mirror the fairing and bends the engine guard and passing lamps if you have them. This also makes the bike very difficult to get upright. They don't show how to pick up a Venture this far over on Ride Like A Pro. So best of luck with that.

Although there have been some leakage problems with the shock I have not seen a shock leak from being tipped over. But I suppose it is possible. I have seen coolant come out after being tipped. It can run down under the seat and drop by the side stand. You could also get some differential fluid out of the vent near the back wheel. It is even possible to get a little oil from the air box vent lines. Are you sure the fluid is from your bike? Stick your finger in the differential fill hole and see if it matches.

Good Luck

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis

A bit of engine coolant spilled from the overflow tank under the seat. Its vented to the atmosphere and can dribble a bit if the bike goes that far over.

Engine coolant is blue/green... I dont know of any other fluid on the bike that is. It may have found its way to the shock housing, or somewhere else, but its not FROM the shock.

If it smells kinda sweet, its coolant.

Nothing to worry about.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Sorry to hear you dropped your Venture. To scratch the fairing you must have gone all the way over. Beyond the engine guard. Usually scratches the mirror the fairing and bends the engine guard and passing lamps if you have them. This also makes the bike very difficult to get upright. They don't show how to pick up a Venture this far over on Ride Like A Pro. So best of luck with that.

Good Luck

Mike

Oddly enough, when the bike falls over past the guards and rests against the front fairing, it's rather easy to pick it up back to the 'guards' position.. it's getting it back up past the guards that takes a lot of effort.. We recently ran an Advanced Riders course and a gentleman dropped his bike over a couple of time and once it ended way over.. (not a pretty sight for a RSV) Luckily no damage.. I helped him get his bike upright and it like I mentioned earlier, once you grab a handle bar and pull up on it, the bike will flip over onto the wheels, resting against the guards with a lot less effort than you would imagine..

Last night I checked the shock and it is dry, so are the 4 vent hoses. The entire bottom of the bike is dry also. I plan on checking the coolant and gear lube level this weekend.

I had installed the handlebar extensions and they moved the handle bar back enough to not protect the cowling. I have a 6" x 1" area the is scratched up. I plan on sanding and painting it with color right. The bike is blue and it takes 2 colors and clear coat to repaint. Will post a picture once I get back home.

Might take the extensions out, so if I drop it again it is protected.

Thanks to all

Bob

Gear oil would not be green, I agree it's coolant and that is easy enough to top off. I have changed my gear oil without removing the bag.

Let me know how the painting goes, I have the same bike and I now have a scratch on the trunk. I was trying to figure out how it got there and I am pretty sure now it was a shopping cart. It was not there before my trip to MD but when I cleaned her after home it was there.

Last night I checked the shock and it is dry, so are the 4 vent hoses. The entire bottom of the bike is dry also. I plan on checking the coolant and gear lube level this weekend.

Thanks to all

Bob

Pull the seat off. The neck of the overflow bottle is right in front of the battery next to the filter. You'll probably see evidence of some leaking around the stopper....