IGNORED

tune and tire time

alright so its time for valves and tires i want the Dunlop 491 Elite II tires and can only get them online for $400 for the pair at the door, how much are you guys finding them for and where?

as for the valves there dont seem to be a loaner kit in canada so what size shims do the ventures require and what was the best value pack of shims youve found?

and if you can think of any "while i'm in there" tunes or upgrades let me know

Hey Alex,

I personally would skip the Elite II's and go with the Dunlop E3's. I would also consider taking a road trip across the border, have your new tires mounted, then scoot back over the border with the new tires mounted on your bike! I would think the hole trip with new tires would be under $400.00. I have no idea where in Canada you are located at, but search the members list, and select a crossing close to a few members on the US side.

Surely one of the US members close to his area could help him out.

As far as the shim kit goes, I am sure one of the Canadian members with disclose the location of the north of the border shim kit. :thumbsup2:

Earl

i would just switch to the elite III's but the tread pattern is to minimal, i want at the very least a center grove but as close to a street and trail as these bikes can get. i ride in all weather all seasons as well as some out of the way places [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCLYw9zn6xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCLYw9zn6xc[/ame]. i really wanted to get a set of bridgestone spitfires but the weight rating is only in the 50's

i would just switch to the elite III's but the tread pattern is to minimal, i want at the very least a center grove but as close to a street and trail as these bikes can get. i ride in all weather all seasons as well as some out of the way places http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCLYw9zn6xc. i really wanted to get a set of bridgestone spitfires but the weight rating is only in the 50's
I had Spitfire II's on my Virago and found centre groove made the tire squiggly on steel bridge decks and tended to follow tar snakes. When I put E3's on the Virago there was no more tracking. As for the tread pattern being minimal, the E3's have softer rubber compounds on the edges and firmer in the centre which grip the road very well when cornering while still giving excellent wear on the highway. I got about 28,000 km from the Spitfire II's before they needed to be replaced. So far I have 32,000 km on the E3's which look to be about half worn. I put E3's on the Venture as well but since it spends more time in my shop than on the road I have no stats for it but it handles just as well. I ride all year in all weather except for when there is ice on the road and haven't insured my Mustang for 3 years. Take Earl's advice.

• 2 months later...
Hey Alex,

I personally would skip the Elite II's and go with the Dunlop E3's. I would also consider taking a road trip across the border, have your new tires mounted, then scoot back over the border with the new tires mounted on your bike! I would think the hole trip with new tires would be under $400.00. I have no idea where in Canada you are located at, but search the members list, and select a crossing close to a few members on the US side.

Surely one of the US members close to his area could help him out.

As far as the shim kit goes, I am sure one of the Canadian members with disclose the location of the north of the border shim kit. :thumbsup2:

Earl

If you could get back to me one way the other would be great my e-mail is geneocaddy@hotmail or PM me here.

I have a 88 VR

It has Dunlap 404 now I have no ideal how many miles are on them. They came on the bike when I bought it. The rear tire is now down to cords and the front severely weather cracked. I was thinking about getting the Elite 3's however I live in Northern Washington State on Whidbey Island which means it rains more often than not and the tread design don't look good for rain and the S curves coming on and off the Island . But wanted the load and high mileage capability so I was looking at the Dunlap 491 Elite II's What are you recommendations? I had an 84 VR in Philippines and Japan and that'a a whole different story for tires. Philippines hot and humid and most of the asphalt is crushed coral, and Japan are plain NUTS (plus the wrong side of the road)

Thanks

Gene'o

USN ret

Gentleman and Techs Plus all others who know your one or the other (LOL)

88 VR live in Northern Washington On Whidbey Island where it rains more often than not

WHAT ARE YOUR TIRE RECOMMENDATIONS?

Looking for load, (Run heavy on X-country once maybe twice or less a summer) and high mileage. Mostly commute 30 miles one way through S-curves and bridges. Western WA cool and wet, summers 70's-80's. Mid and East WA hot and dry, summers 90's-100's

Thanks Gents

Gene'o

USN ret

I have been running E3's on my Venture and my Virago for two years and have found them to be excellent on wet roads. The tread pattern does seem to be minimal but the tires have variable density compounds with softer on either side of a harder center so they wear well on the highway and grip well in the corners. The tread pattern is similar to what I see on most modern sport bikes so I suspect that would also indicate that it grips OK.

As for x-country, the Venture excels on the highway so that's where I keep it. The dirt bikes and dual sports can have the off road experience all to themselves.