I've had my 1990 Venture about 1/2 a year and put about 5000 miles on so far, no major trouble. However, a few days ago I took a 60 mile trip up I-25 to Denver, 95+ degree heat and 85+ mph most of the way. When The interstate traffic slowed considerably I exited and took city streets the last 10-20 miles. The temp gauge was very close to the red zone for most of the city streets, and was just a little cooler when hammering down the highway. After a few hours I left Denver the temps were cooler, I rode a little slower and the temps were normal and cycle run fine. It has 32,000 miles and coolant level is at the full mark. I beleive the engine fan works. Fuel milage that trip was 37mpg.

So, Are these engine temperture extremes normal? Should I be concerned? How do these cycles run in 110 degree weather? (I'll be moving to South CA desert in a few months). Should I look into some service or maintenance work?

later,

Roy :225:

On a comfortable day here, my temp gauge will be about halfway for moderate stop and go city traffic. On a hot day, like today, it's gonna hit the red or close to, but for me, no worries.

On an extremely hot day, at highway speed, it's gonna be above half but not red. I don't know what to expect on an extremely hot day of stop and go city traffic. That's what air conditioned taverns are for.

Unless you were buried in the red, your fine. The gauges aren't "Super" accurate and there is a big leeway. Pretty much all my 1st gens have skirted on the red line with the temp gauge. If your really concerned with it, take the metal temp sensor housing off and sandblast it all clean. Clean the sensor as well, there's actually 2 of them 1 for the gauge and 1 for the fan. This will give you the best possible chance for an accurate reading of the gauge.

I live just north of Houston and I just gutted my thermostat as we are now into the 100 degree days. Even with fresh coolant and a gutted thermostat I still run right at that red line on the gauge. As long as it isn't buried, I'm not going to sweat it....:2cents:

I ran into that with my '83, added some water wetter to the coolant, and it did bring the temps down a couple of needle widths on those extreemly hot days. You might also check to see if your coolant drain valve is turned off as it by-passes the thermostat and the coolant will circulate too fast and not allow the engine heat to transfer as efficiently.