IGNORED

love my new old 83 venture royale but need hellp

Hey guys i just purchases an 83 venture royal and i love it....but when i hit even the slightest bump the front end makes a nasty noise and sounds as if the forks bottom out, maybe steering bearings? Forks? I dont know but i would love some insight from the more seasoned venture owners...thanks

:depressed:

Edited by jrockstangs

With the bike on the center stand, move to the front of the bike and straddle the front wheel.

try to Jiggle the wheel front to back. As if you were trying to bend it at the headstock. Be careful you don't pull the bike forward off the stand!

If you have any play or feel any "clunk" then your steering head bearings are shot. Not a biggie....can be fixed over a weekend.

Does the class system work? What air pressure are you running?

There are a lot of folks here who know a lot more than I do but you certainly came to the right place.

Best $12 I ever spent!

How much air are you running in the front forks? Turn the key to the ACC position, wait until the air pressure panel initializes (2-3 seconds) and then push the "FRONT" pushbutton. The screen will tell you how much air pressure in the front forks. Push the medium button, and you will probably hear the compressor run (BTW, you should have the bike on the center stand). If this isn't enough air pressure, you can put more in by either switching to MANUAL and then pushing the HIGH button briefly and watch the numbers go up, or just leave it in AUTO and push the HIGH button. On my 89, I usually run about 15#, but MK I (83-85) and MK II (86-93) have slightly different forks and springs. Progressive makes fork springs for these bikes that you can run with zero air pressure if you're not happy with the air pressure at maximum.

Frank D.

The front pressure is at about 16 psi...im gonna try to get it on the center stand after work tomorrow...how bad if a job is it to replace them?... also i have next to no brakes...but i want to tackle the clunk up front first......this bike is a keeper so i want to take care of it asap... :)... its like a caddy on 2 wheels...this coming from a guy thay has owned nothing but harley for the past 10 years...lol

You will blow the front with pressure that high. Progressive springs is what you need although it is good to check other stuff that was suggested. With Progressives you don't have to run any air but I run 2-7 lbs just to make me feel better.

It sounds to me like your OEM fork springs are just worn out. A huge improvement in handling and performance is adding the Progressive fork springs. Its a fairly easy job to do and the new springs are under a 100 bucks. My 85 always seemed to hit bottom when going up a driveway etc until the fork springs were changed out.

Brian

It sounds to me like your OEM fork springs are just worn out. A huge improvement in handling and performance is adding the Progressive fork springs. Its a fairly easy job to do and the new springs are under a 100 bucks. My 85 always seemed to hit bottom when going up a driveway etc until the fork springs were changed out.

Brian

Mine too....best thing is those springs. I had a heck of a time getting the caps back on! Two guys leaning into it whilst trying to get those fine threads lined up...dang it was two beers work at least!

Thanks for all the responses guys. I just got done recovering from donating my kidney to my wife and im having one heck of a time getting this 800 lb love machine on the centerstand to check the bearings....lol anyone around my area in illinois? I am going to attempt getting it on the stand today...where is the best/ xheapest place for the bearings and springs...also what kind of oil do the forks take and is it possible that the forks being low on oil could cause this...i want to ride it so bad, can riding like that do more damage than whats already done?.... i will post pics of the love machine asap

U guys rock...how about spongy rear and front brakes....can i just bleed them or should i delink the backs?

Obviously, the cheapest and simplest thing to try first is to bleed them. The 1983 is a bit more difficult to get the air out because of the anti-dive mechanism (brake fluid actuated) and also due to the fact that there is no bleeder up at the steering neck (the highest point). After bleeding the left front and the rear, you will have to bleed the joint at the steering neck by cracking the fitting while pushing the pedal; hopefully some air and fluid will ooze out. Just as when bleeding the calipers, tighten the fitting before releasing the pedal. You will probably have to do this repeatedly, preferably with an overnight rest.

Maintain the proper brake fluid level in the rear reservoir while bleeding to ensure no air is pumped back into the system. This would be a good time to completely flush the old brake fluid out and replenish with new. After all, most of the brake and clutch hydraulic issues erupt because of old fluid.

BTW (actual two IMPORTANT BTWs). On that old rear master cylinder reservoir it is very common to break off the refill plug boss while attempting to loosen the fill plug. Don't go in there expecting to just slap a wrench on the plug and torque away. As a plumber, you know the technique of "holding back" with another wrench when trying to tighten (or loosen) a fitting; do a "hold back" on the plug boss with a Crescent wrench while trying to loosen the plug. You're welcome.

The second important BTW: Brake fluid is extremely destructive to the (almost exclusively) ABS plastic on these bikes. Go to great lengths to protect the paint and plastic while doing any work involving brake fluid. Cover ANYTHING that may get fluid spilled on it. Use impermeable plastic (garbage bag) as the base layer of your protection scheme and cover the plastic with shop towels, several of 'em. When you are finished with the work, thoroughly rinse the plastic with water. BRAKE FLUID WILL DESTROY THE VENTURE'S PLASTIC. For a recent example see this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79647

Another tip: I find that brake (and clutch) bleeding on the Venture is easier if I use a Mity Vac vacuum pump. It is a good investment. And Speed Bleeders®, especially when trying to bleed the left front brake caliper without a helper.

Edited by Prairiehammer

Im gonna attempt to tackle the brakes tomorrow...after putting around the neighborhood here all day the clunk in the forks is almost non existent. Is it possible just from the previous owner not moving it maybe i worked the springs out a lil with the oil and all is okay?... thanks in advance guys...where u from prairie hammer?

just put a pic up of it...i used the 2x6 to get her on the center stand...going to pick up a little vacuum pump to bleed the brakes by myself tomorrow. I also have the dim headlight with the warning light on the display...im realizing that they are a few things that i need to tackle on the ole'girl. where is a good place to pick up front rotors for it? mine look shot and thin as could be....anyone have any oem or take offs laying around?:322:

just an idea.......on my 91 if I run the class up to igh on the side stand or with me on it I will get the clunk your talking about, but if I put it on the center stand and then adjust the class it doesnt do it. I have had readings of 14 psi on side stand then put it on center stand and recheck it and its only got 6 or so psi's.............just an idea

David

And an easy way to get it on center stand is a pipe slid over the foot peg part of the center stand and then just step up on it. Mines about 2-3 ft long and I just step up on it after I rock the bike onto bvoth feet of the center stand. Cant remember who taught me that trick but it works for me

Im gonna attempt to tackle the brakes tomorrow...after putting around the neighborhood here all day the clunk in the forks is almost non existent. Is it possible just from the previous owner not moving it maybe i worked the springs out a lil with the oil and all is okay?... thanks in advance guys...where u from prairie hammer?

If you look top right you should see a globe that will tell you in addition to member name and location. Not sure if it is visible to trial members. Also check the calendar the International meet is nearby in Galena.

If you look top right you should see a globe that will tell you in addition to member name and location.

A good reminder to everyone is to put your State or Province in the profile information so your location shows up properly with the globe.

for example....jrockstangs from Marselles shows up as living in France instead of Illinois!

U guys rock...how about spongy rear and front brakes....can i just bleed them or should i delink the backs?

Bleed them to get solid. You will get a bunch of answers to this one but I like the linked brakes and am Not going to change them. If you have problems bleeding the linked ones there is a bleeder on the triple tree you can see by looking down in the forks as sitting on bike. Be very carefull with the brake fluid. Plastic will soak it up, ruin paint and fall apart.

That globe thing is a custom add-on. It is not part of the orginal VBulletin software. I have found that for it to work reliably, you need to put your city and state in the "city" field. It doesn't look at the "state/province" drop down field so if you only have your city in the city field, it is not consistent. For example, in the city field for mine I have "Oberlin, OH" instead of just Oberlin. In spite of the fact that "OH" is selected in the State field.