IGNORED

For all you Harley Streetglide riders

Kirby

A friend of mine at work has a HD Streetglide with the quick connect saddle bags. Well, today he told me that this morning he was letting the bike warm up while he walked back into the garage to get his helmet. When he returned he found his right saddlebag laying on the driveway all scratched up from falling off the bike. He said he had taken the bags off to get behind them to clean the bike and must not have made sure that he got them attached back up right. Anyway, Ya'll that have 'em, check 'em. Then double check 'em before you take off down the road. He'll get by with a paint job. The next guy may have to buy a whole new bag or pay to have someone else's vehicle fixed. I'm not going to even gonna comment on how smooth my V4 is.

:dancefool:

Guest tx2sturgis

Those are called 'Dzus' fasteners that are used on the touring bikes, and they are generally pretty reliable...IF the rider is careful that he screws them in till they lock, about 1/4 turn.

I personally never had a bag fall off my bike, but noticed a time or two that they werent locked when I thought they were.

It happens.

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
What's a Streetglide??? LOL

Its a 'bagger'...sort of a factory custom...Think ElectraGlide, minus trunk, passing lights, fairing lowers, saddlebag rails, other stuff.

Its also lowered a bit, to look 'cooler'...

And before you say it, yes, its costs more to have stuff left off of it.

:moon:

It shares the same saddlebag fastener arrangement with all the other FL's...its got quick release saddlebags, for cleaning, service, etc.

Guest tx2sturgis
I was being sarcastic, unfortunately I do that a lot.:whistling:

And I was being informative...unfortunately, I do THAT a lot.

:cool10:

I still just dont get why anyone would buy a "street glide" when, for exactly the same money you could buy an Electra Glide Classic - get all the goodies (tour pac - additional chrome) and then remove the stuff you dont want and have a street glide,,, this has always short circuited my brain... And that street glide (HD's best seller) out sold the electra like 10 to 1 - makes no sense (and certainly makes no cents)..

I actually "rescued" a fellow bikers right rear bag not to long ago - he had forgotten to click his mount bolts and I could see it was just hanging on,, at first he tryed to out run the yam but when I ripped up beside him and pointed it didnt take long for him to pull over hahaha

Not to hijack this thread but another really good point to make here for you HD guys with quick disconnect tour pacs - make sure you use little locks on them - I know a guy who had his fully packed tour pac ripped off - click click and its gone - those suckers are expensise to replace...

Oh yea, and replace your Cam Chain Tensioner Shoes!!

I have a question as I know little about current HD bagger model bikes.

I ran up behind a rider last night on a great looking bike. I can only assume it was a custom paint job as I've never seen one the color he had but the thing was I noticed the saddlebag lid on the right side was bouncing up and down pretty bad while I was following him. When we came to a traffic light I pulled up on his right side and tried to get his attention at the stop light. I yelled over to him and pointed to the rear of his bike and he just turned away and took off when the light changed. At the next light I got right next to him and told him again that it was loose and at that point it cocked up like and air scoop in the front and sitting crooked. When I pointed to the bag he looked down and pushed the lid down and it popped right back up again as he took off. All I got was a rather unfriendly gesture for my affort.

So my question is do the HD saddle bags have a retention system to keep the lids from leaving the bike when they come loose?

My first thought when I saw the loose cover was "that is gonna cost him some painting money."

After the second time and his attitude it was "hope somebody runs over it."

But I figured there must be something that kept him from being concerned about beating up or loosing the bag lid. And I'm not a big fan of following somebody with loose equipment.

Just curious.

Guest tx2sturgis
I still just dont get why anyone would buy a "street glide" when, for exactly the same money you could buy an Electra Glide Classic - get all the goodies (tour pac - additional chrome) and then remove the stuff you dont want and have a street glide,,, this has always short circuited my brain... And that street glide (HD's best seller) out sold the electra like 10 to 1 - makes no sense (and certainly makes no cents)..

Since the StreetGlide is lowered, looks cooler, younger maybe, and has a certain 'appeal'...damn right it sells. Think about it...a full sized big twin Harley Bagger, that can be easily ridden by women (and men of course) that are less than 5 foot 5 inches, and weigh less than 175 pounds. (the StreetGlide is lowered) Plus it looks good in a way that a Sportster simply cant.

The full sized ElectraGlide Classic or Ultra is a large, top heavy motorcycle thats a bit much for smaller stature riders, especially if they are in their first year or two of riding.

For an experienced full sized male rider, it might even be TOO 'smallish-feeling', and might not seem to make much sense, but for the people who buy them, its 'Just Right".

(yeah I still HATE that flawed twinky motor...but market facts is market facts)

Edited by tx2sturgis