IGNORED

Shifting Difficulties

Hello,

My '84 Venture has been trucking along well, save the 2nd gear issue. I have just been skipping past it or been easy enough on it not to cause it to skip/jump out. It has never had a problem shifting...

...Until this weekend. Went to take it to the store for some errands, and it made a difficult transition into 2nd. I got through the subdivision in 2nd, as I normally do to warm it up a bit so I can turn off the choke quicker.

It went back down to first at the main drag when I came to a stop. I pulled out, shifted into 2nd. Again, it was difficult. I popped out of 2nd, back into neutral. It wasn't the normal pop out under load, as I hadn't even let out the clutch yet. Another tap, and it went into 2nd. It stayed in 2nd gear with easy acceleration, and then I went for the shift to 3rd. Well, it wouldn't go into 3rd. And I had a very difficult time getting it back into 2nd. Ended up just coasting to a stop, all the while trying to shift up or down. No dice. Once stopped, I managed to get it back into 2nd. Then a swift snap got it down to first. I was not looking forward to pushing the beast all the way back home. Luckily, it stayed in first and I limped it back into the subdivision in first.

I did some prelim searches on the forum Saturday, and found suggestions to check the shift linkage in the ball joints to make sure they were clean and smooth. They were fine. I took them off, lubed them up for grins anyway. Now, they are indeed smoother, but it had no practical effect on shifting.

I also bled the clutch. The fluid was pretty brown and nasty, but it was grabbing fine. Nonetheless, I flushed the fluid out.

I ran the bike up on center stand at low RPMs and tried shifting through the gears. Same issues. 2nd seemed to go in just fine, but couldn't get it in third after several tries.

I have now found this thread with some suggestions regarding pin(s) fallout out of the selector. I did replace the clutch pads and springs with some stiffer Harley options about 4 years ago. But that's the extent to which I've been inside the transmission.

Found this post also, but am having issues identifying how to get the selector out from behind the stamped piece/bracket that extends over the center of it.

What/where are the pins that would have fallen out? What should I look for in a broken one?

Where do I get the replacement cast part? I saw something about a "replacement in V-Max's from early 2000's as a direct fit" - anybody got a P/N? :)

More importantly, am I chasing the right thing?

Thanks!

Scott