IGNORED

NIU Shooting

Cerviperus

To anyone who may have friends and/or family attending Northern Illinois University, I pray that everything is alright.

My sister goes to school there, and had just left campus to head home before the whole event happened. One of her friends was wounded, but the last we heard was considered in stable condition. She's worried though, because he was airlifted out, and the news has said that at least two students that were airlifted have since passed away.

It's tough to see things like this on television, but it's really hard when things hit this close to home. Every time I read more news about it, or someone here at work asks me about my sister, it gets harder and harder for me to talk about without myself getting a little choked up, even knowing she's fine.

Thoughts and prayers to anyone affected by the event.

Such a sad event. I'll never understand why someone does this sort of thing. If you want to kill yourself then go ahead just don't take innocent lives with you. Very sad hope your sister is ok. She may not have been there at the time but she'll be going back to school there. Hope her friend is ok too.

Margaret

Such a sad event. I'll never understand why someone does this sort of thing. If you want to kill yourself then go ahead just don't take innocent lives with you. Very sad hope your sister is ok. She may not have been there at the time but she'll be going back to school there. Hope her friend is ok too.

Margaret

Actually I should post an update. My sister is fine, thank you for your concern, though I'm sure it will hit her hard when she goes back, if not over the weekend. And, while we haven't heard a direct update on her friend yet, he has not been added to the casualty list. Hopefully everyone else injured remains as lucky. There will already be five un-needed funerals as it is (I'd say six, but I can't say that the shooter deserves one). :(

We lived in the area for many years, I have an aunt who lives just down the road from the campus. I know the DeKalb area very well. My heart goes out to the students and the families, and the whole campus.

Justin, give your sister a hug for those of us that are too far in distant to reach out and comfort the students like we would really like to do. Our prayers are being said.

My heart goes out to all the students and thier families. Such a sad tragity to happen.

I too cant understand why someone would want to take an inocent persons life...

Might all boil down to thier wanting 30 minutes of fame...who knows?

My daughter was in that lecture hall the class before the shooting. She had the gunman as a TA (teaching assistant) her softmore year 2 years ago, she said he was a pretty good instructor. She came home Friday (wanted to be home) looks like she will be home for a week. This world is getting to be a crazier place all the time.

Guest KitCarson

Not to start a big discussion......promised myself not to get involved in this kind of thread.....but is on my mind. I saw so much death in Vietnam, had hoped I was helping my country.....some in my country for many reasons are really mixed up, makes me sad. Even the local high schools now have several police officers just trying to keep order. I even laid down my hunting weapons when I got out of that mess.....just did not want to kill........but I will let you in on a little secret, I have no compassion...none...not a bit...for anyone that will do something like this.......I only wish I could have been there....he might have gotten one....would not have gotten another.

Somehow, lately.....seems to be a frequent type of thing......I am so sorry for the families involved......to have a child you love with all your heart taken away in such a senseless manner.....sorry really means nothing in this kind of thing.....it is just a very sad time for all.........Kit

You will never be able to stop things like this from happening. This individual had a mental problem and was off his medication. It’s hard for the rest of us to understand how someone could do this and it’s a sad day when it does. I feel for all those who have lost a loved one but it’s my nature to also feel sad for the one who does not understand what is going on around them. Their mental condition puts them in a different world. We will never know what he was thinking.

My prayers go out to all who lost their lives in such an untimely and horrible end.

God will sort it out.