IGNORED

What Hagon Shock settings are you using?

I installed Hagon Shock and stock links (removed "leveling" links) last night. What preload and damping settings are you Hagon users using? I have the heavy spring and want to set it up for two up and loaded riding. I'm trying to establish a baseline that may be helpful to me and others. Thanks!

I have an RSTD with a HD tour pack. I run the Hagon shock with the heavy Spring. So far, the preload is set the way it came out of the box. The damping adjuster I turned 1/4 turn clockwise from the stock setting after I put about 3-400 miles on it. This seems to work well one and two up. I weigh 195 and the wife weighs about 150.I have not measured sag yet (static and loaded), but it doesn't seem to sag much by the "feel" of it.

I think Rick Butler had posted at one time that your loaded Sag should be no more than 30% of the total suspension travel. Rear travel on the RSV/RSTD is 4.1" IRRC. So loaded sag should be about 1.2 inches total. Measuring loaded sag is kind of tricky since you need to keep the bike balanced while a helper measures.

I installed Hagon Shock and stock links (removed "leveling" links) last night. What preload and damping settings are you Hagon users using? I have the heavy spring and want to set it up for two up and loaded riding. I'm trying to establish a baseline that may be helpful to me and others. Thanks!

i was thinking about leveling links but don't know if i need them since the new shock sits higher. is that why you took off yours and replaced with stock?

IMO the leveling links made the bike too responsive to steering inputs during straight line cruising. On twisty roads it was great, almost like a sport tourer, but I have a sport tourer for that type of riding. This bike is for long distance touring with my wife on the pillion seat, I wanted something more relaxed. I've ridden the bike less than 50 miles since I changed the shock and the links but so far it feels and handles more like I think a heavy tourer should.

I turned the damping adjuster in 1/4 turn as you suggested and the chassis feels much more settled now.

I used a sharpie to make a match mark just so I could go back if I didn't like it. So far so good. I don't mind it firmer when riding solo. probaby 60-70% percent of the time it was fine, but i added the 1/4 turn for larger bumps where it needed more damping.

I have had some sonic springs for the front forks in the garage for a while. Haven't gotten around to installing them. That should hopefully firm up the front and balance things out.

• 1 month later...

just another plug for Hagon, I ordered mine and Christina at Hagon got it right out to me, great service and very nice. Got home from work tonight and installed it with no real problems and with in 30 minutes I was putting my tools up. told the wife to put her boots on and lets try it out, we did not have to go far but we did. we could feel an improvement before we even got out of the drive way. just my 2 cents and thanks to all the Hagon riders for reporting your results without them I may have went back stock. :shock3:

IMO the leveling links made the bike too responsive to steering inputs during straight line cruising. On twisty roads it was great, almost like a sport tourer, but I have a sport tourer for that type of riding. This bike is for long distance touring with my wife on the pillion seat, I wanted something more relaxed. I've ridden the bike less than 50 miles since I changed the shock and the links but so far it feels and handles more like I think a heavy tourer should.

I installed a Hagon not long ago as well. Immediate difference. I just left whatever settings were on it when shipped and I feel like it is perfect for me. I got the HD spring and I am right at 300 pounds. Now after reading this, I am thinking of removing the leveling links. I like the sporty feel of the bike, but now I am having a loose feeling in the front end. I have checked everything and nothing is loose. Tire pressure and fork pressures are good. So now I am wondering if it is just the leveling links making it feel this way.

I installed a Hagon not long ago as well. Immediate difference. I just left whatever settings were on it when shipped and I feel like it is perfect for me. I got the HD spring and I am right at 300 pounds. Now after reading this, I am thinking of removing the leveling links. I like the sporty feel of the bike, but now I am having a loose feeling in the front end. I have checked everything and nothing is loose. Tire pressure and fork pressures are good. So now I am wondering if it is just the leveling links making it feel this way.

Check steering head bearings. Leveling links with the Hagon probably raise the bike more than leveling links with stock shock . My bike with the Hagon and stockleveling links sits higher than it did with the OE shock and 45lbs of air.