IGNORED

I need help......

kevin-vic-b.c.

No not that kind of help...... well maybe

2002 Venture, 48,000 km (30,000 mi ) I have a backfire problem on the Right side.

I have done a carb sync... I think it made it worse

I replaced exhaust gaskets on right side

I changed the plugs... that's fun... they were all nice and golden brown color

When I had exhaust apart I noted that the rear cylinder pipe was clean the front was blackened

Valves to the best of my or PO knowledge have never been adjusted.

I have run hi test fuel through with Seafoam in it

I need help.... what now.

thanks much

Make sure you have good spark on the back plug wire I have changed a few bad coils on the right rear cyl for no spark problems

Jeff

All the plugs were in great shape when I pulled them, nice golden brown. Backfire on deceleration when engine gets warmed up.

Have you checked for any cracks in the exhaust pipes especially at the Y pipe area as I seem to recall this being a problem on some of the 2nd gens.

If there is any crack, it will suck air in and cause the spent gasses to explode. I had a similar problem on my '85 and it was caused by cracks in the collector. Once I welded them up, no more backfiring.

Hey Kevin,

Do you have OEM mufflers on your beast? I read on another thread that the OEMs apparently have something built-in to them to prevent this. If your plugs are a nice chocolate brown, she must be running great!!

Kevin, that is one of the reasons that I removed the entire AIS system completely off my '06 RSMTD. Zero backfire after that.

But, I think one of the others may have suggested the real problem, in that after you sync'd the carbs, it made it worse. I would check the rubber caps and vacumn lines for the ports to where the carb sync tool connected. You may have a vacumn leak.

Thta is very easy to diagnose...just get the engine VERY hot...spray carb cleaner all over the engine...:rotf:, and if it does not catch fire...but does raise the engine RPM's, then you have a vacumn leak.

:backinmyday:

Yes they are stock mufflers, I have checked the exhaust while I had it off and seemed to have minor leakage around the Y of the right side, I used some steel putty stuff around it just in case.

I have checked that I put the vac tubes back on securely also but yes I am going to spray check the intake system.

I am thinking a bit of cause and effect here, the AIS disconnect is 90% cure, a couple little pops out of it on way home tonight running it very hard. I can smell a bit of raw fuel someplace so although it is much much better I don't think this is the end of the investigation.

I know very little about carburetors, even working on cars for years I never did carbs but something is still not correct I think.

I am going to get the valves checked in the off season, not willing to try it myself alone for first time during riding season, so a mechanic I know is always good about fair rates in the winter when his shop is dead quiet.