IGNORED

Help with Antenna

Wizard765

I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. I want to replace my existing antenna with a CB antenna and was wondering if I can get just the antenna and have it fit on the existing bracket. I would really like it if it was 3' or shorter. Any ideas or suppliers? I have asked Sierra MC Electronics and they don't get back to me.

Up until this week Wingstuff had a 3' firestick that would have been the perfect solution but has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. I want to replace my existing antenna with a CB antenna and was wondering if I can get just the antenna and have it fit on the existing bracket. I would really like it if it was 3' or shorter. Any ideas or suppliers? I have asked Sierra MC Electronics and they don't get back to me.

Up until this week Wingstuff had a 3' firestick that would have been the perfect solution but has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

May I suggest you go here: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm and review the motorcycle documents? The Firestik tech docs section has more info on CB antennas than most of us want to read, but may help in your quest for the right antenna for your application.

I recently installed a 3ft. wilson antenna and mounts. The antenna is a thin version just like the firestick. I kept all of the part numbers. It came out great. I did split the CB and the radio. I put a small amplified antenna in the fairing. Believe it or not, the AM/FM antenna came from Advance Auto Parts. The other items came from the local truck stop. I can take pics tomorrow and supply a part number list. I have to check the match and tune the antenna. It tunes at the tip with a small end that adjusts with an allen wrench.

JB

Thanks guys for the response.

Ok so what I'm reading here is that I have to replace the whole thing. I cannot just buy an antenna and replace my AM/FM with a CB. It looks like I will have to rewire as well. The CB I got from eBay has a splitter so I'm assuming I can do the single antenna. The Marshal Mod looks like what I want to do. In that description it says to get a 12' premade coax and I'm not sure but 12' seems a little long. Any thoughts?

Wayne

12 foot is a bit long but you can curl the extra under the seat and zip tie it to the frame. Just be careful not to coil it. In some cases the coil can create a magnetic field that corrupts the signal. I always make mine in a figure 8 and zip tie the middle. Yes it is better to remove the splitter and separate the signals. After I finished the conversion I liked the look better than the original.

JB

Wayne,

I have purchased Firestik antennas and base hardware from this place here. Paul Stramer is a great guy to deal with and their support was top notch....I will buy from them again :happy34:

http://www.fm2way.com/

Antennas or Antenni? :confused24: Inferior minds want to know!

12 foot is a bit long but you can curl the extra under the seat and zip tie it to the frame. Just be careful not to coil it. In some cases the coil can create a magnetic field that corrupts the signal. I always make mine in a figure 8 and zip tie the middle. Yes it is better to remove the splitter and separate the signals. After I finished the conversion I liked the look better than the original.

JB

Pics? :photographing:

OK Todd, I am playing hooky from work tomorrow. I will take pics of all the odds and ends I have been doing to Mocha. Nothing earthshaking but I like the end results. Oh, J and B Weld and fiberglass cloth work great as a backer!! Reinforces fairing corners and other places. I also used the Putty to create 2 screw tabs.

JB

Thanks guys for the response.

Ok so what I'm reading here is that I have to replace the whole thing. I cannot just buy an antenna and replace my AM/FM with a CB. It looks like I will have to rewire as well. The CB I got from eBay has a splitter so I'm assuming I can do the single antenna. The Marshal Mod looks like what I want to do. In that description it says to get a 12' premade coax and I'm not sure but 12' seems a little long. Any thoughts?

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

I bought the Marshall mod a few weeks ago but will not be installing it on my 99 Venture (second generation) because I just bought an other motorcycle.

Let me know if you are interested in buying it.

(FL4B-Firestick 4 feet black Firefly antenna, 203EZ-valor antenna fold over, JBC930-heavy duty stud, 18SMMPL-PL289 Motorola cable 18" long)

Hermann

those fat firestiks put up a lot of wind resistance, especially at the speed most 1st gens go...so you gotta make sure they stay attached to the bike, whatever you do.

:(:whistling:

I'd stay with ONE replacement, keep it simple.

We have a CB guy here Rooster recommended to me, cheap, quick, last time I dealt with him.

Hello Wayne,

I bought the Marshall mod a few weeks ago but will not be installing it on my 99 Venture (second generation) because I just bought an other motorcycle.

(FL4B-Firestick 4 feet black Firefly antenna, 203EZ-valor antenna fold over, JBC930-heavy duty stud, 18SMMPL-PL289 Motorola cable 18" long)

Hermann

Thanks for the offer Hermann:

I really want to stay with a 3' firefly because the 4' hits my garage door. The cable won't be any good to me either because my CB in the front fairing and not under the rear trunk.

Wayne

those fat firestiks put up a lot of wind resistance, especially at the speed most 1st gens go...so you gotta make sure they stay attached to the bike, whatever you do.

:(:whistling:

I'd stay with ONE replacement, keep it simple.

We have a CB guy here Rooster recommended to me, cheap, quick, last time I dealt with him.

I believe the firefly is a thin unit and won't be too much resistance. Besides this 1st Gen has enough power to handle it. :rotf:

I really want to stay with one stick and I have the splitter so that should work.

Hello Wayne,

Hermann

If Wayne doesn't want it I will buy it from you. I have been meaning to do the Marshall mod for a while.