IGNORED

Any regrets?

papatop49

I am almost 100% ready to trike out my Venture. A member of VR was kind enough to let me test drive his Hannigan conversion this past weekend. DO YOU EVER GET COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE WITH THE HANDLING? Any regrets or positive feedback would be welcome.

I agree that maybe the steering is somewhat uncomfortable around corners and sharp curves, but that's made up for on regular highway travel, including normal curves. That's why this Trike is often referred to as a road couch. They are extremely comfortable on the highways. The relaxed, pleasant feeling of security makes every trip much more enjoyable than ever on two wheels, but it's just hard to describe the pleasure of that added third wheel. Emergency situations are a real plus, because in most cases, you'll survive, instead of wrecking. If you add the Hannigan Trike kit to your Venture, you will wish that you had done so, years ago. There's not a thing I dislike about mine. Enjoy!!!

Owen

the only complaint when i had my trike was a friends wife who was used to being a pillion on 2 wheels said pillioning on a trike was like riding a horse she did find she had sore legs from supporting her self on corners on 2 wheels you just sit upright but on a trike the pillion has to fight cyntrivical? force with the legs but she did say she could get used to it so if you have a steady pillion [wife] take her for a test ride as well .the driver has the handle bars to hang on to in the corners the pillion doesn't. but the answer is yes i would have another trike tomorrow if i had the $$$$$ :backinmyday:

Adding arm rests to the bike for the pillion rider solves the feeling off falling off on curves. They give the rider something to lean on as well as being comfortable back there. My wife will nap or even read a book on long freeway riding, like the last 80 or so miles from MarCarls VentureIn this past weekend.

Larry

on a comparative note -

2 wheel stress level, maybe a 5 (out of possible 10)

Trike stress level, most likely a 2 or less

Too many plus features with a trike to list them all. Yes, you will get used to not leaning to do a curve and no you won't get anymore helmet slaps for scraping the foot pegs. :innocent-emoticon:

It's like anything new. It takes time to adjust. After a couple of 100 plus mile rides it will become easy and comfortable. Remember, Its all about the experience of being out on the open road. What ever it takes to keep riding is all worth it.

My wife and I test rode one a while back. I absolutely hated it. It felt like you were having to fight it around every curve. My wife said she felt like we were on one of those powered shopping buggies that they have at Krogers. I guess they aren't for everybody.

From two wheels to three is not for everyone for sure. Cornering on a trike does require exertion that a two wheeler does not. Riding a curvy road (we just did the "Dragon") will give you pretty good work out. But my left knee is no longer a problem if it decides not to click into place as I stand up or come to a stop sign/red light. Gravel parking lots and roads are easier to maneuver on. Would I revert to the Venture as I originally purchased it if I felt I could do so safely...yes I would. But I have no regrets with the trike. You either like them or you don't. The way I see it when I'm riding the trike it looks exactly like it did before the conversion from the drivers point of view. It becomes a trike as I approach a gas pump or pull in between parked cars at Wal-Mart. I'm used to it handling differently, and I have noticed that I seem to be much more visible to those who would say "Officer, I never even saw that bike". I'm still in the wind, I'm still enjoying the 360 degree views and I still wave at every two/three wheeler I pass. Ride what you want and enjoy it. :big-grin-emoticon:

Don't forget you are wider on a trike!! Also always start out pointing straight until you move forward a foot or so. If you try to start with the wheel turned it doesn't work out too well as the trike will try to push the tire forward. Works better if the wheel starts turning a little bit first.

You definately want a raked front, makes steering a whole lot easier...

If you try to start with the wheel turned it doesn't work out too well as the trike will try to push the tire forward. Works better if the wheel starts turning a little bit first.

?? Seems to be a good practice on a bike too. :)

Today I put my deposit in for my trike conversion. Went with the Hannigan for my Venture.

I want to thanks everyone for their input I received about "ANY REGRETS?".

The response was overwhelmingly positive and was greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to ride it.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks.... :bighug:

Leo, went to my local auto shop today and I ask the guys about them bolts

and I asked if they can be torqued to 100 Ft lbs like Jim says. they say no problem

as there very hard and the thread is about the same size has the head of that bolt.

The one guys says he just always torques them by feel as well . I also picked

up MEDIAM loc-tit he said to used that grade on them. not the blue to weak.

I believe when I add my new reverse gear there I will have longer bolts anyways

and it should tell me the torques to use in the instructions.

Jeff

Having only ridden on HD trikes and only short distances. (test riding customer and newly arrived trikes) I can say that with limited experience the answer is no or no way. Hated it.

2 wheels in front however, not so bad. Someone needs to come up with a "Can Am" kit for retro fitting.