IGNORED

Beginning the Adventure of Restoring My 76 Chev Luv.

GolfVenture

So I've decided to walk down the road of restoring my 76 Chev Luv (Origional Owner). I'm asahamed to have let it get in this condition. I just did not have any place to store it under cover most of its non running days. It is all there, the main thing is I got the timing off when I installed a used head. My goal is to get it cleaned up from the outside and in safe running condition. I will consider it a journey with the understanding that I may pass the restoring baton to another person. It's 37 years old and by the time I'm 74 it will be 50 years old. I hope to live long enough to see it on the road. This project is not going to take presidence of my love for my 89 VR, but I would like to start making some process on it.

I've joined the LUV Truck group and most of the owners I've conversed with are high school to college age. I've asked my 1st question and that is where to get replacement gaskets for the tail light and turn signal lense. I was told that one can't get them any more and I would need to consider patching the old one or making some.

So I'm turning to the creativity, wisdom and experienced of this group for some suggestions.

I've included some pictures and the last is one of the lens that needs a new gasket.

I called an auto store and they have sheets of rubber gasket materials. But before I begin I would like anyone who has some experience and suggestions for me.

Edited by Golf&Venture

So I've decided to walk down the road of restoring my 76 Chev Luv (Origional Owner). I'm asahamed to have let it get in this condition. I just did not have any place to store it under cover most of its non running days. It is all there, the main thing is I got the timing off when I installed a used head. My goal is to get it cleaned up from the outside and in safe running condition. I will consider it a journey with the understanding that I may pass the restoring baton to another person. It's 37 years old and by the time I'm 74 it will be 50 years old. I hope to live long enough to see it on the road. This project is not going to take presidence of my love for my 89 VR, but I would like to start making some process on it.

I've joined the LUV Truck group and most of the owners I've conversed with are high school to college age. I've asked my 1st question and that is where to get replacement gaskets for the tail light and turn signal lense. I was told that one can't get them any more and I would need to consider patching the old one or making some.

So I'm turning to the creativity, wisdom and experienced of this group for some suggestions.

I've included some pictures and the last is one of the lens that needs a new gasket.

I called an auto store and they have sheets of rubber gasket materials. But before I begin I would like anyone who has some experience and suggestions for me.

Glad you have your priorities in order, Brian. Gotta fix that taillight gasket, pronto.:thumbsup2:

I understand the desire to restore an older vehicle, although mine is for reasons different than most. I have a 1996 caprice classic 4.3L V8 that my husband has given the green light to start deciding what to do and the best way to go about it. My caprice is my 2nd ever car to own. Mike bought it for me as an engagement present. The 84 Olds cutlass I owned when he and I met was a good point A to B car but had problems, the biggest was the transmission was resealed with bathroom caulking before I bought it. Mike decided that instead of getting me a ring when he choose to propose a car would be a better choice. The car means the world to me. Noone had ever cared to do something that nice for me before. Fast forward 13 yrs later and the car needs a body restoration, interior restoration and other minor fixes. However he has decided that the car needs under the hood upgrades, new engine, tranny, etc. So who knows where my car ends up by this time next year.

Glad you have your priorities in order, Brian. Gotta fix that taillight gasket, pronto.:thumbsup2:

Ya I know, probably going about it backwards. Its just that cleaning up small items, or making a new gasket is something I can be doing as my wife watches her cooking shows or "The Voice" or "American Idol" or her "Downton Abbey" or Next Flex in the evenings. Keeps me sane.

I understand the desire to restore an older vehicle, although mine is for reasons different than most. I have a 1996 caprice classic 4.3L V8 that my husband has given the green light to start deciding what to do and the best way to go about it. My caprice is my 2nd ever car to own. Mike bought it for me as an engagement present. The 84 Olds cutlass I owned when he and I met was a good point A to B car but had problems, the biggest was the transmission was resealed with bathroom caulking before I bought it. Mike decided that instead of getting me a ring when he choose to propose a car would be a better choice. The car means the world to me. Noone had ever cared to do something that nice for me before. Fast forward 13 yrs later and the car needs a body restoration, interior restoration and other minor fixes. However he has decided that the car needs under the hood upgrades, new engine, tranny, etc. So who knows where my car ends up by this time next year.

Well, I'd like to add some perspective so to look at thinks in a different way. I bought my wife a Solidatary ring with two smaller diamonds on each side. This year will be our 33 year. In the 33 years, if my memory serves correctly I have repaired her ring 5 times. See she wears it 100% all the time. So over time the gold tips that keeps the diamond form falling out needs to be replaced because the daily wear and tear wears the tips down. The 1st time was a shock for no one told me the maintenance of a solidatary ring, and gold keeps going higher and higher. That was 3 times. On the 4th time I asked is there something differrent that can be done. Yes you can go to Platinieum. That was even more expensive, but it is much stronger. The 2 side diamonds doesn't need it as often but still requires retippnig. Then there was the 20th where I up graded her 3 Diamonds to larger ones. Ouch that really bit the wallet. I thought that the origional diamonds would have been forever. So I've spent several thousands in maintenacnce of her ring in the last 33 years.

So if your hesititant in spending some cash on your 96 Classic, maybe my story might help you feel better about it. Also one might think investing good money on your 96 Classic, you'll never get it back. In the same likeness, the investment in a diamond ring, one won't get that back eithor. Try selling a used diamond ring.

Just another way of looking at things.

Edited by Golf&Venture

You can buy sheets of different thickness rubberized foam type materials and cut out your own gaskets for the lights. I had a small sheet laying around and it was the perfect thickness to replace the foam seals that go between the induction boxes on the 2nd gens. Material looks like it would be perfect for lens gaskets.

Reminded me of the movie Christine so be careful.

Being that I never saw the movie, I read the synopsis on Wikipedia. Sounds intertaining...but I won't watch it for it might give me nightmares.

Edited by Golf&Venture

I have owned 3 chevy luvs in my lifetime so far. Two 4x4's and a two wheel peal version. Heck my father in law had a 4x4 diesel model. I thought they were the best 4x4's ever made. Mine went bad due to body rot and the box frames seamed to go bad between the rear leaf springs. It just happens that way here in Ohio.The only other weak link was the timeing chain tensioner. I've often thought about looking for another one but the timeing just hasen't been rite. Good luck on the rebuild and keep us posted. Im sort of jealous.:080402gudl_prv:

Brian, good luck on the restore. I started mine years ago. Ran out of money and priorities changed. I hope to finish it some day. My dad bought it new in 1960. Here is a link to my build thread.

If you try the forum I am on for mine, you might get some info from the guys on yours.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=276787&highlight=1960+GMC+Suburban

My dad bought a new 66 Chev Surbuban. A lot of similarity to your GMC. Sold it around 1980 only it was still in really nice condition.

My 76 Chev Luv restore project will be a long journey. I'm hoping to get it back running with new paint but if I do not and pass the restore baton to someone else, that ok. I'm content to know that I did not part it out.

I wish I had the funds to retire for I have many a projects to restore.

1) 1969 Kawasaki 90 G3TR origional owner

2) 1974 Yamaha YZ125 origional owner

3) 1976 Chev Luv origional owner

4) 1976 AMD Pacer my mothers was the origional owner.

Then I have ton of uncut rocks from all over the Great Pacific Northwest, for my family were rock hounds. Thundred Eggs, Montana Agate, Jasper, Plum, Both Petrified and Agatized wood. Just this last week I for some reason search craigslist for a lapidary saw and wowo I found a 20 inch saw for 1/2 what is was worth. The guy dropped the price 3 times with no calls until I came along. I grabbed it. I also have a flat bed polisher and my dads old tumbler.

So much fun to explore so little time and money.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian, this is NOT meant as sarcasm, or meant to hurt you. This is meant as a friend, and because I do care.

Since the bike accident, things have not been right...in your head. You know what I mean. It bothers me to have to say that, but sometimes it needs to be pointed out, if a friend is making an "odd" decision.

Right now the Chevy Luv Mikado is worth about $ 100.00, as scrape metal, and you can get someone to come tow it away, pay you that $ 100.00, and get that project off your list. You already have enough projects going on at your place.

If you invest $ 3,000 to $ 5,000 into this little Chevy Luv...when all is said and done, the resale value on this little pee-cup is still...$ 100.00. That is it.

The only real value in doing this project, is keeping your hands busy, doing something while your wife is watching Downton Abbey, and therapy for your bad hand. Okay, there is some value there, but...I would hate to see you spend good money on a vehicle that is not going to gain one red cent in value, when the project is done.

Now, my friend, you do as you wish, and if working on the Chevy Luv makes you happy, then go for it. In fact, play the music for Mikado...while working on this Chevy Luv Mikado. As long as your head is straight, and you know what is ahead, then go for it.

:backinmyday:

Edited by Miles

Research outside the LUV nameplate. LUV trucks were Isuzu trucks rebranded so check those listings as well. When bonyeard shopping be sure to check the imported and domestic areas if the yard is organized that way. That's the easy one. Here's the tricky one. Look at other mini-trucks no matter what the manufacturer. The turn signal lenses on my '58 Dodge D-100 aren't available anywhere but that exact same lens and gasket is used on the Jeep CJ's and is available off the shelf at the 4X4 store down the street! Hemmings motor news, Ebay and Metro Molded parts are good places to start.

Luck!

you can always do an internet search for parts the chev love was made by Isuzu this was there first step in to the American auto market. my older sister had one I went back to her house in Kansas in mid winter from Minnesota and now floor pan in the pass. side of cab froze my n**s off. wrap up in two sleeping bags. It ran like the wind but look like a old rusty pail goin down the road. we could play flintstones style braking in this truck.