IGNORED

Fuel tank swap help please

wolfrider

I have been looking at doing the same thing. I think that it is fairly straight forward, but I know that you will need the tank and the front mounting bracket that the ignition goes into. Due to the size/shape of the Venture tank that part is needed. Your Tour Deluxe ignition will fit into the Venture bracket and everything will bolt onto the frame the same. I haven't done mine yet but hope to get it done soon. I think that you need to use the float from the Tour Deluxe also as the wiring plug is different between the Tour Deluxe and Venture. Let me know how it goes for you.

I've got a 2005 RSTD and want to put a Venture fuel tank on it. Is that an easy swap? Will the float and everything just bolt over? And, what's involved, please.

Thanks,

Steve

On a related note, I have an extra 2003 RSV tank avaliable.

Gary

Hope he does as well. I'm not the best mechanic, so the more info and input on this subject, the better. I've already purchased a Venture tank from ebay. Thanks anyway. Once I'm done, I'll have my 05 RSTD tank to sell if anyone know someone who needs it. It's in excellent condition, black and gray. $130 + shipping.

I have been looking at doing the same thing. I think that it is fairly straight forward, but I know that you will need the tank and the front mounting bracket that the ignition goes into. Due to the size/shape of the Venture tank that part is needed. Your Tour Deluxe ignition will fit into the Venture bracket and everything will bolt onto the frame the same. I haven't done mine yet but hope to get it done soon. I think that you need to use the float from the Tour Deluxe also as the wiring plug is different between the Tour Deluxe and Venture. Let me know how it goes for you.

What bracket are you talking about? Not sure what it looks like.

What bracket are you talking about? Not sure what it looks like.

Maybe bracket was the wrong word, but the ignition surround on the Venture tank and Tour deluxe tank is slightly different, same ignition will fit in either, but you need the surround for the tank. Bolts directly to the frame in the same manner. The rubber bushing on the seat end of the tanks I think are the same.

• 9 years later...

Hello,

I recently acquired a 2006 TD that has a Venture gas tank on it (it's large and says Venture on it; I don't know how else to verify it). 

When the fuel gauge starts blinking and the "F ##.##" mileage displays I go to the nearest gas station to fill up and it takes 4.3 gallons of gas.  If the Venture gas tank was properly installed should I not be putting in closer to 5 gallons of gas instead of 4.3?

Or to anyone else that has done this mod, should I just keep riding til it hits reserve and then fill up? Or should I put the petcock on reserve and fill up when the fuel gauge displays some other notification? 

It would be nice to use the lion's share of the larger Venture tank without fiddling with the petcock and without being at risk of the tank going dry.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

Welcome to the forum! The reason you are only putting 4.3 gallons of gas in your tank is because the other .7 gals. of gas is the "Reserve" portion of the fuel tank. To access that last .7 gallons of gas you would need to switch the fuel petcock from "Run" to "Reserve". Remember to switch the petcock back to the Run position after you fill up your tank.

I hope this answers your question!

Earl

When my RSV says the tank is empty, it is about to run out of gas if it is set on ON.  And there is a lot more than .7 gallons left when it runs out set on ON.  I just keep mine on reserve so maybe nothing will collect in the bottom and hopefully the filter will take it out if there are any particles there.  

@BlueSky Thanks!  So, since you leave your fuel petcock on Reserve for your Venture, how do you know when to fill it up?  When your trip-meter reads 200 miles?  Or is there a low fuel light on the RSV that is not on the RSTD?

(Again, I have a RSTD with a RSV gas tank on it.)

Thanks!