IGNORED

CD in dash

Guest Saddletramp

Is there such a thing as simply removing the cassette and installing a CD in its place?

You might find a CD player to fit in that very small area, but I really doubt the CD player wowuld ever work right due to all the vibration...

My opinion..You would be better off with an Ipod or MP3 player..

Guest Saddletramp

I got left behind with the tech advances. I've heard of these, but know nothing about them. Just always settled for the FM. There should be some unit that would work. Other manufacturers have them in the dash.

I have a CD player that I used to have in my trunk. Works fine and ties in directly with the handlebar controller. I removed it since I got a GPS with built in MP3 player.

Don't mean to be condescending, but if you are truely technology challanged - I will translate the above.

I got a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS (Global Positioning System - basically an electronic map) which contains an MP3 player (solid state recording/replay system - It allows you to store songs on a small storage device, like a computer does. It then will play back, like your computer will play back a video or a song).

I would be glad to sell you the CD player - it is pretty easy to install.

Ummm, this is a 2nd Gen you are working with, right?

RR

:sign yeah that:I wouldnt bother with cd player get an Ipod or Mp3 player use a cassette adapter and play one of the thousands of songs that little MP3 player can hold.

Who needs a cassette adapter? Just gotta plug an 1/8" phono plug into the aux input inside the cassette player door and go.

I just finished installing a sirrus mounting kit, purchased from tss-radio,part #SIRPMK1, on my 07......plugs in the aux input, now I can take my radio from my truck and simply put on the bike......It is the real deal.....check it out....come complete with everything you will need.( might have to play with the antenna bracket alittle).......

Who needs a cassette adapter? Just gotta plug an 1/8" phono plug into the aux input inside the cassette player door and go.

Is this true of all cassetes, that there is a aux input inside. I have an 89 that I am going to use my MP3 player with but thought that I needed to buy the cassette adapter. HMM... maybe not?

:confused24:

Iowa Guy

Is this true of all cassetes, that there is a aux input inside. I have an 89 that I am going to use my MP3 player with but thought that I needed to buy the cassette adapter. HMM... maybe not?

:confused24:

Iowa Guy

No not the 1st gens, just the second gens. Would be nice for the 1st gens though, huh?

I think someone did a mod on the 1st gens to put an MP3 player in it though, you may look in the tech section.

I have a XM radio that I plugged into the AUX plug next to the cassette player, but I don't get the volume I get when I use the cassette adapter. As a matter of fact, when I use the AUX, I have to turn the volume up as high as it will go. With the cassette adapter, I can set the volume to 14 and hear it at freeway speeds with a cross wind! Anyone else experiance this?

Have you tried increasing the output level on the XM unit? I find that I had to do that when I moved the unit from the bike to my work car. I use the aux input on the bike but used the cassette adapter on my work car. I always had to change it when I moved it back and forth. You set the output level on the XM through the menu settings.

I have a XM radio that I plugged into the AUX plug next to the cassette player, but I don't get the volume I get when I use the cassette adapter. As a matter of fact, when I use the AUX, I have to turn the volume up as high as it will go. With the cassette adapter, I can set the volume to 14 and hear it at freeway speeds with a cross wind! Anyone else experiance this?

Same problem, I connected my XM in the fairing with the "Y" cable and all of that, it works fine, but I do have to crank the Vol. up to around 25 to hear it...????? any one have a answer for this problem?? I have not tried the cassette adapter.

Had the same problem with low output through the AUX with my MP3. Had the volume cranked all the way up. Same unit works well through a cassette adapter so I've been using that, but I plan to split the fairing this spring and add the Y splitter. I'm hoping that there's a loose connection or something that I'll find, else that getting closer up-stream to the source will help.

Yeah, I remember that, thanks. I actually got a similar one from Radio Shack. The problem is replacing the batteries all the time. Someone was talking about trying to wire it in on the original thread. Wonder if they ever figured out what needed to be done?? Mine takes 3 AAAs so it's certainly not a straight 12V hookup.

Have you tried increasing the output level on the XM unit? I find that I had to do that when I moved the unit from the bike to my work car. I use the aux input on the bike but used the cassette adapter on my work car. I always had to change it when I moved it back and forth. You set the output level on the XM through the menu settings.

Ouch! Thanks for that information! Makes a heck of a differance. I've had my XM for a year now and could not find any button on it that said volume on it. The volume on my XM was only set at the half way mark. I am now a happy boy!

I got left behind with the tech advances. I've heard of these, but know nothing about them. Just always settled for the FM. There should be some unit that would work. Other manufacturers have them in the dash.

I feel your pain. I too am not yet into the 21 century. But .... I did pick up a MP3 player and it it small enough to fit anywhere. The only thing i would suggest is to get a MP3 player thats aleast a couple a gigs so you can hold more songs. I have a 1 gig and it holds about 200 songs. that may sond like a lot but think of this. You can buy a MP3 player thats no bigger that A pack of gum and hold ALL of your music collection on it. If your no to sure how to load it find a 10 or 11 year old and get them to do it for you and show you. Its not that hard once you do it. Remember $600+ for the CD player that only plays 6 CDs = 60 songs =give up your trunk . or Maybe $300 have all your songs in the palm of your hand. Oh yeah, you can also listen to the MP3 anywhere not just on the bike.

Good Luck.

Guest KitCarson

I have an MP3 player.....it is about the size of a large pack of gum.......I am not much on music on a bike....but have one just the same. Has like a 4 gig or some such whatever that is........simply plugs into the usb port on computer and charges up.......built in battery lasts for several days.....I had my daughter put a bunch of stuff on it.......even figured out how to load my CD,s unto it........now instead of all that stuff in the jeep.....just a tiny player and if you hit shuffle songs on it.......randomly picks them and you never get bored.........I even have a cable to use it on my new bike........have tried it out......works fine.....then put it back in the Jeep.

Guest steyr1488

I jerked the cassette deck out, did a little modification to the door and shoehorned a satellite radio receiver in the hole. I used the aux. jack wire from the cassette and installed a cigarette lighter inside the fairing. DO NOT direct wire the satellite radio to 12v DC. They run on 4v or 5v. The power plug that comes with it reduces the power. The antenna can be mounted in the fairing also. It will work thru the plastic. I also "T'd" off of the aux. jack so I can slip an MP3 player inside the door with the satellite receiver.

Very clean looking. No wires or junk to see when the door is closed.

Well you don't have to be a tech whiz to set up the following. Get a cheap MP3 player (they hold a ton of music) and then buy a MP3 FM Modulator like the one I recommend in this thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17694

It runs on two AAA batteries when not plugged into your car's cigarette lighter, so it is totally portable and will work with any FM radio. The sound quality is very good, and if you get a cheap MP3 player, you will have spent less than $75.00 for an easy to use alternative to the CD set up you are considering. CD's hold what, 14 songs per disc? An MP3 player is tiny and can hold thousands of songs.