IGNORED

Which exhaust header?

So, I've been thinking about the header style collector from MarksPipes that replaces our stock collector. While I was searching for a picture of them quite some time ago, I also ran across another style header that due to the firing order (1-3-2-4), makes more sense to me. Anybody have any input or see anything that may help put things into perspective? Pros and/or cons to either type? The first pic is from MarksPipes, the second is the one that seems like it would make more sense to me.

How is the 2nd gen exhaust set up? Aren't 3&4 and 1&2 connected?

Thanks,

Bill

ExCollectorCloseBW.jpg

The 2nd picture is for a 2nd gen VMax, very doubtful it will work on a 1st Gen Venture.

On a related note, I just bought another Mark's collector for the 2nd gen I am working on. I am rather disappointed in the quality of this one. It is not aligned correctly between the left and right halves. I emailed Mark about it and sent him pictures of it. His response was that they are made on a fixture and had to be correct. I asked for a price break since I needed to cut it apart at brackets in order to correct it and he was did not offer any. Rather than return it and take a couple of weeks to get it back, I will pay the full price & rework it myself. !st one I got for Tweety was much better than this one.

There is a 3/8" difference between front sides with collector square at rear on table.

There is 1/4" difference between rear inlet heights. Top tubes are at about a 10 degree angle from being parallel looking down into them.

I can correct this by cutting the one short weld on top side of bracket that is holding left side. Then fitting up to bike with my exhausts in place and weld bracket back on.

Price has went up on the Marks unit to $350.

Gary

Stock connects 1&2 and 3&4. If you connect them opposite of that you will have a puf puf out the back at either side and a build up of pressure on either side. My thought would be to go to #2 pictures, makes more sense to me.

Thanks for the input guys. I did realize the second was for the 09-10 VMax, according to Starcycle anyways. My plan was to build a set myself, well with a good buddy's help at least. He's a pro welder and subs at the Tech College in Eau Claire and teaches his trade. I seen a set of custom headers he did for his 289 in a Ford Ranger 4x4 short-box. I'll just have to load up my parts bike and use it as a template.

I'll keep ya posted if I actually make any progress.

Bill

Gary,

did you sent Mark pictures of the exhaust?

It's pretty obvious its not lined up...jig or no jig!

It's one thing to say "it's not right" but after showing him pictures, if he cares about customer service, he should be willing to do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...
The 2nd picture is for a 2nd gen VMax, very doubtful it will work on a 1st Gen Venture.

On a related note, I just bought another Mark's collector for the 2nd gen I am working on. I am rather disappointed in the quality of this one. It is not aligned correctly between the left and right halves. I emailed Mark about it and sent him pictures of it. His response was that they are made on a fixture and had to be correct. I asked for a price break since I needed to cut it apart at brackets in order to correct it and he was did not offer any. Rather than return it and take a couple of weeks to get it back, I will pay the full price & rework it myself. !st one I got for Tweety was much better than this one.

There is a 3/8" difference between front sides with collector square at rear on table.

There is 1/4" difference between rear inlet heights. Top tubes are at about a 10 degree angle from being parallel looking down into them.

I can correct this by cutting the one short weld on top side of bracket that is holding left side. Then fitting up to bike with my exhausts in place and weld bracket back on.

Price has went up on the Marks unit to $350.

Gary

Posting a follow up to my previous post about the header I received from Mark's. Mark did give me a good discount on the header that I received from him. I had complained about the right & left sides not being properly welded. I was concerned that the misalignment of the right & left side would cause fitment issues. Mark has shipped the two collectors I have gotten from him before even billing me.

Mark sent me a bill today and did credit me a fair amount for the issue I raised.

:thumbsup2:

Gary

Posting a follow up to my previous post about the header I received from Mark's. Mark did give me a good discount on the header that I received from him. I had complained about the right & left sides not being properly welded. I was concerned that the misalignment of the right & left side would cause fitment issues. Mark has shipped the two collectors I have gotten from him before even billing me.

Mark sent me a bill today and did credit me a fair amount for the issue I raised.

:thumbsup2:

Gary

When you got them by "the short hairs" their hearts and minds will follow.