IGNORED

stinger length on RSV?

meach

So I'm probably going to have carbon one make me up a stinger for my hitch rather than use the commercial ones I can find. For those that know or don't mind measuring, what is the distance from the center of your hitch ball to edge of fender? I've been told shorter is better (obviously as long as nothing hits.)

thanks.

btw, to use with my HF tag-along

As said, as short as possible without hitting anything, The longer the stinger the more leverage against the front suspension, causing a reduction of front traction.

Teter totter effect.

yea the leverage against the bike was my biggest concern with the one all the stores seem to have, just a matter now of deciding how long I want it to be, thought I'd try and see what others have used.

On the stinger length I wish mine were a bit longer... On occasion I have to back up the rig, and just like a short tongued full sized trailer, shorter equals less maneuvering response. I'm not talking a lot, maybe another 6" would make life easier. Right now when backing out of a motel space I let the trailer pick a direction and go with it. Trying to get it to go the way I want is a PITA....but once in a while I do get lucky.. :whistling:

The stinger I made for my trike is 6 1/2" from the center of the pin hole to the center of the ball. I used 1 1/4" tube with a 1/2" thick piece of flat stock. Never had any problems and more than strong enough for any bike - mc trailer combination.

Larry

On the stinger length I wish mine were a bit longer... On occasion I have to back up the rig, and just like a short tongued full sized trailer, shorter equals less maneuvering response. I'm not talking a lot, maybe another 6" would make life easier. Right now when backing out of a motel space I let the trailer pick a direction and go with it. Trying to get it to go the way I want is a PITA....but once in a while I do get lucky.. :whistling:

Are you sure that longer is better?????

The stinger I made for my trike is 6 1/2" from the center of the pin hole to the center of the ball. I used 1 1/4" tube with a 1/2" thick piece of flat stock. Never had any problems and more than strong enough for any bike - mc trailer combination.

Larry

Gonna try and put that pic here.

EDIT

Seems to be working. I could go a little longer if needed. I was roughly trying to see what would work. Maybe 4 1/2 rather than 4 1/4 hole to hole. I was assuming a 1" overlap between 1/2 flat bar and 1 1/4 square insert, you would know whats best.

Jeff, the round spacer is a good idea to prevent the tube from collapsing. Did you design and build the hitch for your VR? Or, did that come from Larry? I have a Markland hitch on my 89 VR but don't like the way it sticks out in the rear. I am looking for something else that is shorter not too obtrusive.

Jim

Jeff, the round spacer is a good idea to prevent the tube from collapsing. Did you design and build the hitch for your VR? Or, did that come from Larry? I have a Markland hitch on my 89 VR but don't like the way it sticks out in the rear. I am looking for something else that is shorter not too obtrusive.

Jim

This should splain it.....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52757

Thanks, Jeff. That is a nice looking unit. Where do I send the money for my hitch? Do you take Paypal? :whistling: Just kidding. I can design it, but don't have a welder to put it together. (I was a design engineer before I retired). Would a HF welder be powerful enough to weld that hitch? I am having a new service panel put in my home on Wednesday and could add another circuit for a welder in the garage. I am having a 220 sub panel put in in the garage just for heavier equipment . Band saws, table saws, larger grinders, etc..

Jim

I always try to park so that I can just pull out and go, no backing. Sometimes at a motel I will back the trailer in so that when leaving I won't have to deal with backing it out of the parking space. If backing becomes necessary, a quick dismount and pick up/slide the back of the trailer to the desired angle is what I do.