IGNORED

HF TagAlong trailer

Mel

What's the lightest load you've pulled? sometimes it's not the weight but the size and distance I'd like to use a trailer with the bike. I have a trailer bought back in the 60's from HF that's been sitting for 20 years. new tires lights and maybe a little paint would make it good to go.

Never a very light load. If there's a need to use the trailer then the load will be substantial. Typically luggage, cooler inside the trailer, covers for both the bike and the trailer, maybe lawn chairs, etc. Other wise I just use my homemade 2nd travel trunk attached to the hitch.

You could buy cheap tools at Harbor Freight and only buy what you need. Couple wrenches and you are done.

Have you looked at the assembly manual? If not... let me know and I'll scan it and send it to you.

EDIT - here is a link to the assembly manual - http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66771.pdf

Edited by XV1100SE
manual link added

Maybe I should pick one up on my way to Montreal (I-81)

Make sure you consider where you'll get a plate for the trailer. Each trailer has a vin number. I drilled out the rivets on the plate on mine and declared it as a "kit" build.... which essentially it is. If you get a plate before you leave home... the questions they asked me was :

- number of axles = 1

- weight = 150lbs

- color = black

This is a GREAT little kit. It took a few hours to assemble. Mostly because I was removing the helper springs & wrapping the spring bolts with hose & tubing to reduce noise. I also added the carrier, cooler & gas can holder.

Great bang for the buck!

Nothing you can't assemble in a parking lot in short order and pull home, I would repack bearings during assembly to only do it once. Bring a short scrap of garden hose or buy a short piece at a hardware store for the back springs, put some hf leds on the tail and caa it a day.

Once at home you can tackle the tongue and cooler rack mod

Armando:

I am about an hour west of I-81 in Rochester, NY and can help you with your trailer. I am finishing up mine now (see pics). I have a lift and a garage full of tools to assemble the trailer, as well as modify the springs and the hose tubing pieces. Also can grease the bearings. There is a HF store about 10 minutes away to pick up the trailer.

We have a spare guest bedroom, so we can even put you up for the night. I would be more than happy to help. When are you planning to take the trip up here?

Jim

Armando:

I am about an hour west of I-81 in Rochester, NY and can help you with your trailer. I am finishing up mine now (see pics). I have a lift and a garage full of tools to assemble the trailer, as well as modify the springs and the hose tubing pieces. Also can grease the bearings. There is a HF store about 10 minutes away to pick up the trailer.

We have a spare guest bedroom, so we can even put you up for the night. I would be more than happy to help. When are you planning to take the trip up here?

Jim

Well thank you very much Jim, I appreciate it tremendously. I will be leaving Tampa on Sunday May 19th, but not sure when I will arrive in upstate NY. I have 2 options. Either drive up the I-95 , I-77 , I-81 (going through Blue Ridge Parkway) or drive from Tampa to Sanford, FL, take the Amtrak Auto Train up to Lorton, VA (south of Washington DC) and drive up the I-81. I should be in upstate NY on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will know for sure after Easter. I will definitely consider your offer :) Thank you. I will be in touch with you :)

might want to have your bike wired for the trailer before you get there.

The harness can be purchased from a member vendor - M61A1MECH

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4200&title=auxillary-tail-light-harness-for-royal-star-venture&cat=35

For the bike you'll need an isolator. Using Steve's harness is MUCH easier !