IGNORED

HF TagAlong trailer

Mel

I know that in the past there has been some discussion about if Harbor Freight was still selling these trailers. This link is to an ad that came in my email yesterday, Thur. March 14, 2013. I have not checked to see if they have any at my local store, but that's where I got mine a couple years ago. They were more affordable (cheaper) then. I've had no problems with mine, added some lights and swapped some hardware for stainless steel.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Yikes!!! I just noticed that in the item description they state there is a $89.95 oversize item shipping charge. Best to find one at a store

Edited by Mel

I bought one a couple years ago and painted to match bike. I like it a lot and would think for the money its one of the best deals if you only use a trailer two or three times a year. Not because its not a good product but i cant see spending a ton of money on a super cool one i use two or three times a year.

Was thinking of getting one of these myself. Looking at options. Might just get the basic trailer and build a custom box in order to haul my RC planes in with the bike:). Bought a larger one years ago to pull behind a van. Can't beat them for the $.

Was thinking of getting one of these myself. Looking at options. Might just get the basic trailer and build a custom box in order to haul my RC planes in with the bike:). Bought a larger one years ago to pull behind a van. Can't beat them for the $.

I got the 40x49 flat trailer also. picked up a car topper from Craigs list for $20 that I talked down to free for the hauling .....:whistling:

I am also designing a custom box to carry BIG RC planes. There is a member in our flying club that built a custom trailer from the ground up to haul models behind the bike. But he made his tongue to short and has a bad sway over 45mph behind the bike. He does not notice the sway behind his P/U truck.

The tag along is close to the same trailer as as getting the small one and putting a car topper on it. IIRC the tag along is about 12 inches narrower than the standard. Many people get the standard and then cut it down to be narrower to match their car topper. I was not worried about the extra 6 inches on each side.

Be sure to clean and grease the wheel bearings. The factory only puts in a rust preventative, not bearing grease.

We really like our HF trailer and we put a sears cartop carrier on it (check my pic's)

Looks good and pulls great. Don't even know it's back there. Only problem I had was

the fenders fell off (metal fatigue) due to road vibrations. First thing to do is reinforce

the fenders...........Ron

Or, at least I think I do. I have just completed putting a Sears cartop unit on an old (1999) Grossman's Lumber trailer that I got for free from a guy moving to FL. It measured 40" x 49" and he told me he used it once and then parked it in his garage. It only has 150 miles on it. It was built in Taiwan by the Long Chih Industrial Co, for Grossman's. It is exactly the same as the HF trailer, even to the square slots punched in the frame. The frame is all bolted together, same as the HF. I think the Chinese copied it for HF. I took it apart and cut the frame width down to 34" to match the carrier. The carrier (which was also free) was from a friend of mine who used it for going to FL for the winter months.

Anyway, I am in the process of updating to LED lights and repacking the wheel bearings. Also need to replace the tires because the date on them is 4599. 45th week of 1999. They look in perfect shape because of being stored indoors all these years, but I won't pull it with tires that old.

So far, I have about $35 in lights and about $10 in rattle can paint, so it has been a cheap project so far. As soon as the weather warms up, I am going to paint it black.

The first long ride with the trailer will be to the International in Galena, IL. I will take a few short trips before to check out how it pulls. May take it to the MD at Don's to check on fuel mileage.

Does anyone know when the first 40" x 49" trailer was put on the market from HF?

:confused24:

Jim

I pulled the tongue off, put a longer tongue on and welded a cooler rack up. For the tongue I made a U shaped piece of steel by welding two pieces of angle together and putting a foot on it.

Next task is to make a bike carrier so we can take the bicycle with us. I want it low and centered

At my local HF I asked if there would be a shipping charge to deliver to the store and was told they have them in stock, just not on the floor. Now just trying to sell my GS 1100 so I can buy the trailer and some mandatory safety items like lights, chrome, and a stator and a regulator. And maybe some stainless exhaust pipe for adapting RK pipes. :mo money:

I know that in the past there has been some discussion about if Harbor Freight was still selling these trailers. This link is to an ad that came in my email yesterday, Thur. March 14, 2013. I have not checked to see if they have any at my local store, but that's where I got mine a couple years ago. They were more affordable (cheaper) then. I've had no problems with mine, added some lights and swapped some hardware for stainless steel.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Yikes!!! I just noticed that in the item description they state there is a $89.95 oversize item shipping charge. Best to find one at a store

Do you know the length and width of the box ? Thanks ! :)

At my local HF I asked if there would be a shipping charge to deliver to the store and was told they have them in stock, just not on the floor. Now just trying to sell my GS 1100 so I can buy the trailer and some mandatory safety items like lights, chrome, and a stator and a regulator. And maybe some stainless exhaust pipe for adapting RK pipes. :mo money:

Maybe I should pick one up on my way to Montreal (I-81)

You might want to think about moving the springs and the axle as far back as you can, that'll help balance out the weight from the car top carrier. Went through the same with mine, the first time I pulled it over 60 mph it started shakin'! That was interesting....

You might want to think about moving the springs and the axle as far back as you can, that'll help balance out the weight from the car top carrier. Went through the same with mine, the first time I pulled it over 60 mph it started shakin'! That was interesting....

If you move the axle back, it makes it harder to control/adjust the tongue weight since more would be in front of the axle. Add a cooler rack to the tongue and you need as much behind the axle as you can get. With the design of the Tag Along there isn't much room behind the axle to begin with.

Moving the axle back is the hard way of extending the tongue, and as mentioned it may make it difficult to get the proper tongue weight when loaded. If you have sway, and you have the correct tongue weight, it is usually easiest to extend the tongue. There are several ways of going about it.

I've had mine up to 90 MPH, have pulled it for lots of miles @ 70+ MPH, never had a problem with swaying. IF IT'S EMPTY or not properly loaded it might cause a problem. I used a bathroom scale, made sure tongue weight was around 20-25 pounds and weighed each wheel/tire to make sure the load was pretty much balanced side to side. After that I just made sure that the load was similar to that original test load. I have not altered the axle, springs, or tongue. :2cents:

I've had mine up to 90 MPH, have pulled it for lots of miles @ 70+ MPH, never had a problem with swaying. IF IT'S EMPTY or not properly loaded it might cause a problem. I used a bathroom scale, made sure tongue weight was around 20-25 pounds and weighed each wheel/tire to make sure the load was pretty much balanced side to side. After that I just made sure that the load was similar to that original test load. I have not altered the axle, springs, or tongue. :2cents:

What's the lightest load you've pulled? sometimes it's not the weight but the size and distance I'd like to use a trailer with the bike. I have a trailer bought back in the 60's from HF that's been sitting for 20 years. new tires lights and maybe a little paint would make it good to go.