IGNORED

I need your opinions

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Louis and I live in Ormond Beach FL, (10 miles north of Daytona Beach). I have had many bikes over the years and now ride a Yamaha 950 Tourer Vstar. I love the bike and it fills the role that I bought it for, namely 50 mile rides with my wife.

I’m interested in getting a motorcycle with longer legs to provide us a true touring platform. The Venture is my main object of desire. My main areas of concern deal with comfort.

Given that you are well versed on the bike I would like to ask…..

Does the shield provide good, buffeting free protection?

Is there enough power to pass slower traffic without downshifting?

Is the stock seat comfortable?

Thanks in advance

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Louis and I live in Ormond Beach FL, (10 miles north of Daytona Beach). I have had many bikes over the years and now ride a Yamaha 950 Tourer Vstar. I love the bike and it fills the role that I bought it for, namely 50 mile rides with my wife.

I’m interested in getting a motorcycle with longer legs to provide us a true touring platform. The Venture is my main object of desire. My main areas of concern deal with comfort.

Given that you are well versed on the bike I would like to ask…..

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the nut house Louis. By your nick, I'd say you fit right in :stickpoke:

To answer your Qs ...

The stock shield does a half decent job but I'd recommend an aftermarket such as a Clearview or F4

The power on these bikes is developed at higher rpms. If your logging along in 5th gear and rpms aren't 3 g's or higher, yes, you might have to downshift ... all depends on how fast you want to pass somebody.

My seat wasn't the "pillow top" type (2006 Midnight) and I found I had to do some altering to the foam at the tailbone area and add a backrest for better comfort. Keep in mind though, I have no meat on my butt!

Welcome,

Like has been said before about passing, I pass on the interstate in 5th gear quite often but if the RPM's are not up you will have to.

I find the stock seat ok for about 300 miles or so I have one modified and I can go 500 easily on it.

The shield does do a good job for me in keeping the wind off, but I do like the wider shield in the cold.

Guest tx2sturgis

No.

No.

No.

But I bought one anyway!

:smile5:

Ok...depending on how tall you are, the buffeting might be a problem, might not. For me, its not, BUT! if it was, its a motorcycle, just ride.

Power? well its there, but dropping to 4th or even 3rd will call up the power you need, since 5th is really an overdrive, and a bit down on passing power till you get the RPM's up. It's a motorcycle, just ride.

The stock seat tends to get a bit too soft after awhile, which means, your tailbone will be bopping the seatpan if you weigh more than say, 180. If you're a lighweight, it might be ok for you. I had mine rebuilt locally for $100 with some dense foam. Much better now. The passenger will have few complaints, other than possibly some wind buffeting behind you.

After you solve a few minor comfort issues, its a good bike to ride all day on.

Its a motorcycle, and a good one.

Just ride! :happy34:

I took this video 4 years ago...the bike is so stable and comfortable that I can operate the camera with my left hand and didnt need to shift even climbing the grade at the end.

[ame]

[/ame]

And in this video, you see me pulling a trailer with the Venture. Effortless.

[ame]http://youtu.be/qV1FbzBh51g[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

I have an 09. It has the pillow top type seat. For me a 600 or even 700 day is possible and I go 190-200lb. Guess its definatly an opnion thing. The boss loves the room she has and I have not heard a complaint about buffiting except once in awhile on the interstate if you end up passing a lot of big rigs.

Power if your running say 70 onthe slab youll be OK wil somemore throttle, if your around say 60 and in 5th youll probably want a bit more snap.

Windisdhield is fine for me and I go 5'6".

Its definatly different than a V-twin. You cant lug this thing.

Welcome to the forum.

You will find a variety of differing opinions on everything here.

I will pass along a couple of mine.

The venture is extremely comfortable and stable.

I like the stock seat very much and find it very comfortable.

Power to pass without shifting? Depends on what gear you are in and how fast you are going. If this is an issue consider the V-max rear end modification.

Buffeting. At 5ft 11in I get none in the front seat and my wife who is a short 5ft gets none in the back. If that becomes an issue taller windshields are available.

The v-4 1300 provides good power as long as adequate rpms are maintained.

Best of luck to you and welcome again.

Mike

dont listen to these guys ..they no squat Go try a CAN Am Spyder Touring Edition You will never regret

I guess I open a Can of beans here :stirthepot::buttkick::rotfl::rasberry:

You can ignore Charlie... he doesn't ride a Venture.

I agree with MikeWa. I'm 6', 200lbs, wife is 5'3", 125lbs.... the 2nd Gen ('99 to current) is a smooth ride, no wind buffeting, lots of power if you have rpm up (drop a gear for some fun).

For your comfort, get a drivers back rest (couple to choose from, I have the Utopia). For passenger comfort, because your wife will find the back seat so comfortable she'll fall asleep, get her some armrests (Carbon One - Larry - makes great stuff, you'll also want his lift adapter with legs). Adding the arm rests you can/should move the trunk back about an inch which also moves the passenger back rest back an inch giving her even more room.

Going to a touring bike, you'll want to get head sets. I know some people enjoy the peace and quiet but being able to talk to your passenger is great. Having the cb for group rides is convenient. If you add a gps with Buddy Rich cable allows you to sync with your phone to make/receive calls.

When looking for a bike, consider the original purchase date if you go used. The 5 year warranty starts from original purchase date and is transferable. Also read the "known issues" so you know what to look for if you go used - http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067

Hello: Welcome to the site. I discovered this site AFTER I purchased my Yamaha. What I have discovered is the information and friendships created because of this website are PRICELESS. Best advice and friends anyone could ever hope for. I hope you will stick around and keep us posted. Get a bike bought and plan on joining us in Galena IL in late July for the VR.org International Rally. Meet everyone personally.:)

I guess a good question from us "helpers" would be are you buying straight out or do you have to trade in? I buying outright it open the option of CL. I was looking about a month ago and there were some pretty nice units for sale at decent enough prices here in Fl and southern Ga. The guys here will be able to steer you on the price/miles thing. How about a pic of your current ride.

I guess a good question from us "helpers" would be are you buying straight out or do you have to trade in? I buying outright it open the option of CL. I was looking about a month ago and there were some pretty nice units for sale at decent enough prices here in Fl and southern Ga. The guys here will be able to steer you on the price/miles thing. How about a pic of your current ride.
I'm not sure that I can part with my 950. I doubt they would give me enough for me to not regret selling it, so the plan is to add another bike to the garage. I'm still 2 to 3 months away unless I bump into the perfect bike/deal. Here's a link to my mods. If the link works you will see that I'm very interested in comfort. http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36370

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2d609b3127ccef0adf44fd4d700000030O01AaOHDRi0bsge3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00207041488420120828152718581.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Ignore Charlie :backinmyday: he doesn't ride a Venture anymore cause he can't afford it .......The speeding tickets were killing him...:mo money:

I have an 89 passing has never been a problem even with two 250 lb persons on the bike ..and if you drop a gear to be over 3000 RPM .....HANG ON :bikersmilie:

Comfort no issue I once rode 15 hrs 1000 km in one day with only breaks every 2 or 3 hours:thumbsup2:

Now keep in mind mine was 1st gen should you down grade to a second gen you still won't be disappointed. :innocent-emoticon:

OK here's a couple of tips. For better throttle response, swap your differential out with one from a VMax. Several people here have done this. The end result is a 5th gear that is actually useable! What happens is the VMax gives you a higher ratio which makes 5th useable at lower speeds. It also makes the RSV juat a tad snappier off the line. The downside is you lose a little fuel economy and lowers your top speed a little. VMax owners are willing to swap to make their bikes a little more economy minded, so both owners are happy!

For driver long distance comfort. Three things, a backrest, a "Butt Butler" (a member here) seat mod as the bike feels wide, and especially for us vertically challenged, either barons handlebar risers or Flanders handlebars to bring them back closer to you. You will find the RSV a tad (understatement) top heavy and tall. Barons also makes a lowering kit for the RSV which improves low speed handling and brings the bike closer to the ground allowing us shorties to flat foot it better.

For passenger comfort. There is a second set of holes allowing the trunk to be moved back about an inch or so. The only thing is the rear holes put the trunk right on the trunk mount but you can put spacers between the rear hole and the mounting frame to fix this. Whether or not you move the trunk back or not, fill in the gap between the rear seat and the trunk with a towel or small pillow. Add a pair of switchblade highway pegs for the passenger (Diamond R makes a good set) so she can stretch her legs. For comfort and safety, add a pair of member Carbon One's passenger arm rests. They are well made and flip up rather than swing out, which acts as restraints should your navigator decide it's nap time!

Lastly, for wind buffetting, buy the F4 as wide and tall as you can, but also get the vent in the shield for hot weather riding. The F4 is very scratch resistant and nice and thick. I presently have a Clearview but am planning on switching to a F4 in the next year or two.

As was mentioned your best bet is to swing a leg over an RSV and decide for tyourself. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable full dress touring bike...

...The only thing is the rear holes put the trunk right on the trunk mount but you can put spacers between the rear hole and the mounting frame to fix this. ...

The rubber piece attached to the bottom of the trunk peels off and you can move it so it fits in the new location of the mounting frame. That's what I did.

Yes it does Don and I keep forgetting about that, but what I also forget to mention is Becky is more of a "kitchen chair" straight setting person as opposed to a sloucher like me, so by also raising the back of the trunk up a little it makes the backrest a little straighter up and down. I first did that for her on the first Gen after she complained about the backrest not being straighter! I am assuming since Pretty Hips mentioned he is only 5' 7" that he is going to be attracted to more of a petite woman like Becky is as opposed to an Amazon lady who is much taller than he is. Then again maybe he likes to be dominated but that's another story! I figured out that shorter women prefer to set straighter as it makes them appear taller than someone in the barcolounger position for setting...

"Hips" what XV1100E says is correct and it fixes that issue...

Guest tx2sturgis
OK here's a couple of tips. For better throttle response, swap your differential out with one from a VMax.....

ChaChing! $$$$$ :mo money:

For driver long distance comfort. Three things, a backrest, ..... barons handlebar risers or Flanders handlebars to bring them back closer to you. .....a lowering kit for the RSV...

ChaChing! $$$$ :mo money:

For passenger comfort. Add a pair of switchblade highway pegs for the passenger (Diamond R makes a good set) so she can stretch her legs. For comfort and safety, add a pair of member Carbon One's passenger arm rests.

ChaChing! $$$ :mo money:

Lastly, for wind buffetting, buy the F4 as wide and tall as you can, but also get the vent in the shield for hot weather riding.

ChaChing! $$$$ :mo money:

As was mentioned your best bet is to swing a leg over an RSV and decide for yourself. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable full dress touring bike...

"Hard pressed"? Looks more like he will have to spend hard-earned cash to make it comfy. Were you trying to help?

:doh:

Bought my '02 in '02. I am 5ft 10 and 260 lbs and I found the high windshield to be too big. I bought a lower one and like it better. I have found the stock seat to be very comfortable. SWMBO finds the rear seat comfortable. As a safety precaution I got rid of the intercom, all the driving instructions were driving me nuts. The power is good if you are in the right gear. I have had it past the end of the spedo more than once and it is rock solid at speed. Get good tires. I run Avons and the bike feels lighter. It is heavy which takes getting used to. Didn't realize just how big the bike is until I wound up parked next to some Harleys, gee they are small.