IGNORED

Cop VS Speedbump

ragtop69gs

Careless riding ticket is in order, i think. Isn't one supposed to be in control of the vehicle they are riding at all times? That bike could have killed a pedestrian if it flew the wrong direction. :smile5:

Sure hope the fella wasn't hurt bad. That was a nasty tumble.:yikes:

I do wonder if he had a holy sh t moment and hit his brakes while the rear wheel was off the ground and front came down. Speed bumps are ugly, I have never had a problem with them but cant remember hitting one going very fast either. As a retired LEO I would say the rider should be more experienced and trained that the civilian rider, his riding was unsafe and unprofessional.

HE IS VERY LUCKY that +800 lb. bike didn't kill him.

I think he panicked, hit the front brake on downhill side of speed bump and when he started

vaulting over the handlebars it looks like, he hit them again.

anyone can panic on a bike...

the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice.

my dirt bike riding has saved my bacon more than once...

the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice.

my dirt bike riding has saved my bacon more than once...

I really wish I had the opportunity to go through the dirt bike phase while I was still young and immortal. Now I am to old to survive the learning curve. I did go thru a dirt track racing phase and the skills learned there have served me well in the cage.

I used to teach am evoc ( emergency vehicle operators course) Only two things you can control in any vehicle are direction and speed; when you loose direction you shouldn't touch anything to do with speed (throttle and brake) only steer. I think he should have laid off the brake and leaned back and he would have been fine... Bikes are counter intuitive and we need to practice the right things so they become muscle memory. Then when we get in emergency situations we do the right thing, , ,

I don't know if I agree with comments about braking wrong, I think the cop was history as soon as he left his seat. But I do have a question, something I've often thought about, and that is the body's slide/roll once you are off the bike. When you watch different crashes, both on the GP race circuit and on the hundreds of local yokels on YouTube, is it your impression that when the professionals get thrown off their bikes during a massive wobble that they have a smoother, almost controlled slide, instead of the uncontrolled rolling that you see elsewhere and which I think contributes to more broken bones than first contact with the ground? Is it that the professionals know how to slide better because of their experience? Is it because they have better sliding gear? Is it connected to speed? Surely nothing we've done, nor what the cop did matches the speed of the GP racers. If you watch the cop rolling, it is my impression that if he just slid better he wouldn't have incurred the injury that appears to happen to his left leg when he tries to get up. I've always thought if I went down, I'd make every effort not to roll. Perhaps some members who have done the slide can enlighten me.

it was some years ago so this is best as I can recall. i think it was Kenny Roberts ? the Yamaha racer from back in the day. Promoters came up with a new race i think they called it supercross and it was a combination of motor cross, enduro, paved track, and road racing. Designed to bring all the greats together from the various circuits. Well he crashed hurt a shoulder and when interviewed said that he was used to going down at 100 plus, you just slide but at 40 or 50 you you go up and come down. this is not word for word

a motorcycle will not usually do a forward flip by itself unless you hit the front brakes...

It also happens in jumps :

If the front end hits first and your rear tire is above the front "like when you remain seated in the forward position'' attempting a table top landing.

If on the other hand you stand on the foot pegs shift your ass back with constant throttle all will be good. You can tweak the orientation of the bike when air born,by snapping the throttle to raise front wheel or hitting the rear brake to lower it... Gyro

He was already flipping over the handle bars when he either hit the brakes again, or, his front wheel had turned enough to actually drag "puff of smoke".

He was doomed to roll.....................

If you wash out racing going around a turn, you are already very low to the ground and if you are wearing the proper protective clothing you have a good chance of walking away... because you'll slide

same thing with downhill skiing... proper clothes will prevent you from stop and stick situation. Instead you'll slide and nothing will hurt you unless your unfortunate to Hit an immovable object.

When young and foolish I wore a cotton jacket and attempted a black diamond trail when they were making snow. Fresh man made snow for those that don't know is a LOT SLOWER than natural and you must rock back on your heels to prevent a face plant. I caught the very edge of some , launched over a cornise and hit shoulder first about half way down the hill. Had I been wearing my spider jacket I would have slid. The cotton didn't and as a result I tumbeled resulting in a AC separation and subsequent operations to shorten bone because of impingement problems.

Guess that's why I'm so anal about safety equiptment...:whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Looks like he hit a bump, or rise, in the pavement just BEFORE the speedbump, caught air with the rear, then maybe he grabbed way too much front brake....very weird...glad hes ok.

• 2 months later...