IGNORED

All Digital Touchscreen Dash (cluster)

GothicJB

Just wanted to get some opinions, feedback and/or comments here on this idea/project.

I'm putting together a 4.8" TFT Touchscreen instrument cluster for my 1983 Venture Royale Deluxe ...

I want to replace the current dash/cluster with the touchscreen display that will show the following:

• Battery Voltage
  • Fuel Guage with MPG reading
  • Speed / RPMs
  • Odometer / Tripometer
  • Compass / GPS
  • Turn Signals / hazards (when on)
  • Outdoor and Engine Temp
  • Clock with alarm
  • Neutral Indicator (maybe indicator to show which gear as well)
  • Side Stand / Kill Switch Indicator
  • Burned out headlight and HI / LO
  • tail, brake light failure indicator
  • High beam indicator.
  • Possibly Oil level indicator.

(any additions or changes please comment and let me know)

I'm also thinking that there could be a few user selectable display variations (themes).

I have the electronics / programming know how to do this and I am planning on doing this for myself either way, but was wondering if others would be interested in this as well?

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by GothicJB

How about miles left in tank.

Burned out headlight HI / LO, tail, brake

High beam indicator.

Oil level.

Passenger mute button......:duck:

Several trip odos

Clock

Stopwatch

Just trying to think of what all is on the current display that will be gone.

User settable rev limiter.

Will it have a function to calibrate the spedo and odo?

I don't think that it needs to be displayed other than while doing the calibration.

Not that this isn't a REALLY cool sounding idea, but it sort of sounds scary. The digital display sounds great, but the touch screen part is where it gets blurry.

There is the potential for something like this to lead to distracted driving, which is often very bad on a bike.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, cause I would be one of the ones to want one for the wow factor, but it will have its potential hurt factor.

:080402gudl_prv:

Gary

Not that this isn't a REALLY cool sounding idea, but it sort of sounds scary. The digital display sounds great, but the touch screen part is where it gets blurry.

There is the potential for something like this to lead to distracted driving, which is often very bad on a bike.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, cause I would be one of the ones to want one for the wow factor, but it will have its potential hurt factor.

:080402gudl_prv:

Gary

This is true, but I feel it is no more true than people resetting their trip while driving, switching between compass and temp and mileage, GPS programming, etc... whether touchscreen or buttons the possibility is already there and in use in 90% of vehicles. While this is not exactly the case with motorcycles, it is becoming more so with the touring bikes and their built in gps, stereos, etc...

I guess my opinion is that good riders will continue to use good judgement while poor riders will continue to use poor judgement - regardless of the devices available.

You do make a good point though.

Jason

That could be really cool.

It would be an interesting exercise...not only to make the thing actually work but to mount it in a way that is visually attractive and functional.

But of course degree of interest is directly proportional to cost

That could be really cool.

It would be an interesting exercise...not only to make the thing actually work but to mount it in a way that is visually attractive and functional.

But of course degree of interest is directly proportional to cost

The cool thing is that most of all the needed sensors are already on the bike so my plan is to interface with the monitoring clip that stock panel connects to in order to read the data from all the sensors.

Unfortunately I'm no good with fabricating so I doubt it will look pretty ... any volunteers for the fabricating part? lol

At the moment for just the electronics, I'm ball parking the cost around $250-300... Not too bad considering the costs I've seen to get a mint condition USED panel if you need to replace the one you have.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, since the fuel gauge monitors the amount of fuel in the tank and the odometer monitors distance traveled, the two could be averaged out to provide a fairly accurate how many MPG you are getting since we know the tank capacity is directly proportionate to the digital meter gauge.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I actually have an arduino / iPad mini project I'm working on to digitalization the dash.

Unfortunately I only get to work on it when I have time and money for the electronics.

Buddy says I should find a way to mass produce them when I'm done. Not sure I want to deal with the liability though.

I'm an electronic illiterate, but have wondered about a touch pad ignition for start and shut down. Could even arm an alarm system. ? Have been out a couple times on long trips when someone lost their key and the spare was in the trunk. (something like the keyless entry pads on newer vehicles)

Just wanted to get some opinions, feedback and/or comments here on this idea/project.

I'm putting together a 4.8" TFT Touchscreen instrument cluster for my 1983 Venture Royale Deluxe ...

I want to replace the current dash/cluster with the touchscreen display that will show the following:

• Battery Voltage
  • Fuel Guage with MPG reading
  • Speed / RPMs
  • Odometer / Tripometer
  • Compass / GPS
  • Turn Signals / hazards (when on)
  • Outdoor and Engine Temp
  • Clock with alarm
  • Neutral Indicator (maybe indicator to show which gear as well)
  • Side Stand / Kill Switch Indicator
  • Burned out headlight and HI / LO
  • tail, brake light failure indicator
  • High beam indicator.
  • Possibly Oil level indicator.

(any additions or changes please comment and let me know)

I'm also thinking that there could be a few user selectable display variations (themes).

I have the electronics / programming know how to do this and I am planning on doing this for myself either way, but was wondering if others would be interested in this as well?

Thanks,

Jason

• 2 months later...