IGNORED

Original Flasher Modification

I tried a little experementation when I put LED bulbs in several months back.What I tried didnt work, but with this mod it gives me an idea. Instead of opeing up your flasher unit and getting in there and soldering stuff and maybe ruining the flasher. What if you simply took that plug out of your connector, made a jumper wire that had your resistors in it and put the other end of your jumper into the connector.

The ohm rating sometimes gets confusing to me. The same resistor seems sometimes is called 330 or 33K ohm or something like that. My question is I may have a couple of these left over from another project. Would they work? How many do I need? Soldered inline or all at same point.

When talking resistance (and a lot of other things) the K on the back of the number means to add 3 zeros. So 330K means 330,000 ohms. In this case you need a 0.33 ohm resistor. So the ones you have are 10 million times to big. The short answer is no they will not work.

Guest tx2sturgis

Lots of work...seems to me.

I just left the factory bulbs in mine...works fine, lasts a long time.

I DID change the tailight to LED, but no resistors required, just plug-n-play.

Here is what I tried today, and didnt work. I had a variable resistor (trimmable potensiometer) I adjusted it down to .4ohm. Put a male spade connector on one side and the female on the other. Pulled the brown/red wire from the flasher unit and installed the resistor inline. Which is the wire that goes where they show the modification being done. Should be the same thing right? I also did the same thing with the brown and white wire as was suggested just incase I had the wrong wire. So I dont know whats up with those electrical theroy's but it didnt work.

I do not know that your putting a resistor inline is making the same connections and circuit that the jumper/resistor in the flasher is making.

The jumper/resistor in the flasher is probably connecting across 2 of the pins and has other connections inside of the flasher to both ends of that jumper/resistor to monitor the voltage drop to operate the flasher circuit. Connecting a resistor of greater ohms across those same 2 pins would still have little to no effect because the electricity will take the path of least resistance and ignore your added resistor.

If you can see inside of the housing enough see the circuit traces on the PC board you might be able to determine if in fact the jumper/resistor is connected across 2 pins. IF it is connected across 2 pins then you should be able to put your 0.4 ohm resistor across those 2 pins and cut the jumper/resistor where shown and have close enough to the same thing.

But not having one of the flashers in hand, this is just my best guess.