IGNORED

Garage flooring question.

BigLenny

Hey My Venturerider Friends,

I am going to pull the trigger on purchasing floating floor tiles for my garage floor. I am considering products from 3 different suppliers, RaceDeck, Swisstrax, and Modutile. Have any of you had any experience with either of these three manufacturers?

I feel like Swisstrax is probably the highest quality, but they also come with a substantially higher price. I would like to get the job done for the lowest price (Modutile), but I just want to make sure I don't get myself into a situation where the product is way lesser quality.

Give me your thoughts, please.

Thanks, Lynn.

What I would be concerned with, with any of these systems is what's to stop mold and mildew from growing under the tiles when water and/or fluids get under the flooring ? Up here in Michigan, with all the snow melt the floor under the tiles would not dry out till spring.

I like the sealed floor (epoxy coated or whatever it is). For the reason of cleaning and clean up if spill something. I know I will. Also I could see me dropping some little screw or something i got to have and then having to tear up tiles looking for it. As it is right now, someone (I wont say who she is) has so much #@!$ in the garage I cant see the floor. So my problem is solved.:whistling:

What I would be concerned with, with any of these systems is what's to stop mold and mildew from growing under the tiles when water and/or fluids get under the flooring ? Up here in Michigan, with all the snow melt the floor under the tiles would not dry out till spring.

That is certainly a good question, and all the floating floor companys have products that address that problem. For areas that will see a lot of moisture, they offer vented/perforated tiles of different styles.

The regular tiles like I am going to install aren't air tight. They do have some breathability, and have drain ridges under them for moisture drying. I have lived in my house for 13 years, and I really have never experienced an incident where I had a large water or fluid spill, so I shouldn't have a problem.

If there ever was an incident, the tiles are very easy to unlock and remove to get under them for any kind of problem I need to correct.

There are a few main reasons I have decided against painted/coated floor.

1. My house is 35 years old with multiple deeply imbedded oil/fluid stains from previous owners who weren't careful with their maintenance work, and cleaning the floor well enough for a coating to hold for a long period of time is a near impossible proposition.

2. The aged floor has enough blemishes and scared areas that a coating wouldn't look completely smooth across the floor.

3. Even after doing all the prep work, and installing the coated floor, the possibility of hot tires sticking to it and pealing it is high. That would infuriate me the first time it happened. LOL.

4. Floating floors are extremely easy to install (3-4hrs), and you can do your floor in several different colors with whatever design you want to dream up.. they are warranted against cracks, color fade, etc.... They are very easy to remove if you need to get underneath for any reason. Annnddd, if/when I sell the house, I'll take the floor up and take it with me to the new house.

I like the sealed floor (epoxy coated or whatever it is). For the reason of cleaning and clean up if spill something. I know I will. Also I could see me dropping some little screw or something i got to have and then having to tear up tiles looking for it. As it is right now, someone (I wont say who she is) has so much #@!$ in the garage I cant see the floor. So my problem is solved.:whistling:
So the #1 answer is marry or live with a woman that has hording issues and problem solved :confused24:

Yep. I've got one that if she doesn't use it in 4 seasons its going in the trash. Clutter and disorganization causes her to have a panic attack. LOL.

Her natural inate nature is to clean and organize. At all times.

I love her for it.

She would die in my house..........:scared:

What my father used when he had a garage like that.. Bleach. Once a month spray a bleach and water mix around the tiles and then later hose it all into the center drain. That is the key though. If your garage does not have a drain or a significant drain slope out the door, you will have problems with the tiles.

what's to stop mold and mildew from growing under the tiles.

The neighbour has it covered with ome sort of acrylic. He sprays with cleaner and scrubs it. Parks snowblower, two vehicles, and snowmobiles.

We use to Sell Nordback for about 40 buck a gallon, it was a backing material that was very hard, and was great for fixing cracks and would flow smooth. This material will eat asphalt, but works on concrete. https://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/nordbak-crusher-backing/307761254

Brad

Edited by BradT